PDA

View Full Version : Lost to a 3500 Ram and dont know Why?

Ltrainracing
09-13-2003, 08:38
LAst night after many days of smack talking, my buddy who has a 2003 Dodge 3500 cummins, and my brand new 2004 GMC 3500 had a tug of war. We tied a tow starb to both of our tow hitches and we started. To my ammazment my brand new GMC got its ass kicked :confused: . Three times we went at it and every time he dragged my backwards. since we are very good friends we talked about why i would have lost soo bad. my truck all stock. The only thing we came up with is that my stock tires (215/16r) were too small. Every time my truck did a 6 wheel burnout. We both know i have more hp and tourque, but WTF. Somebody please let me know what happened. thanks

mackin
09-13-2003, 08:57
One word "Traction" ....

Once the tires spin ,your done .... Get a more agressive tread and "air down" .... You'll spank him more than likely even being under weighted .... Or cheat .... Pull the brake fuse ,get him spinning pull him around the parking lot .... Your chose ....

Mac ;)

SmokeyMax
09-13-2003, 10:53
Try running lower tire pressure next time

J Dawson
09-13-2003, 11:37
If his hitch is higher than yours then he would be trying to lift the back of your truck. This would give you less weight on the rear wheels and add to his.

Ltrainracing
09-13-2003, 11:42
thanks guys, now would you suggest getting a larger tire such at 235 or bigger? And what brand tire would you prefer over stock (AmericanTires) or whatever they are? thanks

Ltrainracing
09-13-2003, 12:30
thanks for the help, should i go to a bigger tire than stock 215/16r? and if so what size and what manurfacturer of tire and wheel thanks

HD-Nate
09-13-2003, 21:09
Originally posted by mackin:
One word "Traction" ....
Or cheat .... Pull the brake fuse ,get him spinning pull him around the parking lot .... Your chose ....
Mac ;) He heee...yep thats an old trick. Did that a couple times in my younger and stupider years.

Once them tires get to smoking traction is all over.

How many miles do you have on your new truck??

Mine didnt come to life till about 5K or so.

Bigwheel
09-13-2003, 22:15
Ltrainracing,
Don't worry, I lost to my buddies 2003 Dodge Cummins Dually too, many times tried over and over and over, same results, got my but kicked!, but you will not here that on here.......
The DMAX wins every time......
Not totally stock that is.....

GMCTRUCK
09-14-2003, 05:34
The biggest reason is weight. The Dodge weighs a good deal more. Combine that with the puny stock tires GM uses and it's all over. Like Mac said, hold the brake and get him to heat up his tires. Unlike race slicks, once you get street tires hot and greasy they're useless.

WhiteDuramax
09-14-2003, 08:25
Sorry to say Ltrain, but a lot of it has to do with the driver, I know a guy that has a 3/4 ton 6liter reg cab, and he has pulled many diesels backwards. Its all in how you drive, like they said, hold your brakes until his tires start spinning, then go for it, the key is to not get your tires spinning. Also on the hitch height, whoever is higher has the advantage. I would get 235/85/R16 tires if I were you. Good luck next time!

Buck
09-14-2003, 18:25
The ISB builts peak torque at a lot lower RPM too, the I-6's likes low RPM = V-8's Duramax/V-8 PSD higher RPM....

ratlover
09-15-2003, 06:30
If your spinning tires you dont have a power problem. Hooking up trucks dosnt do anything to show power level. Its traction. If both trucks were dead hooking I would imagin the dodge would win but you wont ever get em to dead hook.

Are you both autos?

Driver has a big thing to do with it. Dont just mash the gas. I believe the Dana axel used weighs a bit more than the 14 bolt we got. Like was said make sure your hitch is higher for an advantage. or just throw some weight in the back and have another go.

Buck
09-19-2003, 00:04
Dodge trucks don't run Dana axles anymore! In the New HD Rams you'll find AAM axles, similar to the ones GM uses in the HD.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-19-2003, 09:41
Ltrain,
You said a six wheel burnout, do both of your front tires spin? I was under the impression the front diff was not a locker, hence only a 5 wheel burnout.

I buried my 3500 in the mud, the other front wheel turning woulda helped.
JP

JoeyD
09-19-2003, 10:24
http://www.truckworld.com/Shows-Events/01-essex/tug-a-truck-03a-500.jpg

JoeyD
09-19-2003, 10:30
http://www.truckworld.com/Shows-Events/02-Essex/P0003208-400.jpg

JoeyD
09-20-2003, 06:10
These are a couple of pulls I have done. I have not lost yet. Traction is key and don't spin the tires. I do better in 4hi that 4lo. Use the high side and don't mash the pedal. And most inportantly back off it it starts to hop. I pulled against a guy a few years back that blew his front ring gear from hopping. And have fun.