PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt to trailer

CONCORDMAX
02-22-2004, 08:41
I thought that when I ordered my 02 crew cab Dmax with the HD trailering package and Fifth wheel provision I had everingthing I needed for hauling trailers. Problem, I hooked up a new Wells Cargo trailer, it has auxilary 12 volt lighting. I know the plug on the rear platform has a 12 volt lead. It is not getting juice. I have tryed to figure it out with no solution. I don't want to make a trip to the trailer place if I don't have to. Can anyone help I know it is probally a simple solution. Thanks in advance.

BarryD
02-22-2004, 08:45
Check the fuse. Make sure it is installed. I got the brake harness and there is a fuse in the bundle. The instructions indicated the fuse was needed for power to the plug.

Rockin
02-22-2004, 17:33
Check your 7-6 adapter. There are two types and the electric brake and +12v are switched. If you have a brake controller (and electronic brakes) the brakes will lock if you have the wrong plug.

ore.diesel
02-22-2004, 18:10
SAME PROBLEM ON MINE. THERE WAS A BLIND [NON-WORKING] FUSE IN THE SLOT FOR THE BATTERY IN MY FUSE BOX. I THINK IT WAS A SOLID PINK IN COLOR WHERE THE REAL FUSES ARE A SEE THRU COLOR. REPLACED IT WITH A REAL ONE. THAT WAS THE END OF MY PROBLEM. WHAT WORKED FOR ME ANYWAY.

CONCORDMAX
02-22-2004, 22:06
Thanks agian for the help. I finally figured it out. UH electrial box. Duh the uh stands for under the hood. I put the 40 amp fuse in the number 1 post. I have 12volt power to the plug now.

tpaulson
02-22-2005, 05:16
I have the same problem with a cargo trailer not receiving 12V for the trailer's interior lights. The problem does seem to be the missing fuse. But, I have a question as to the proper location to install the fuse.

In the manual it has 2 possible locations.
STUD#1 - Auxiliary Power(single Battery and Diesels only)/Dual Battery(TP2) Do not install fuse

STUD#2 - Accessory Power/Trailer Wiring Brake Feed

I have a 2004 Silverado with the Duramax and it has dual batteries. So the description for STUD#1 is a little contradictory.

I put the fuse in STUD#1 and 12V feed to the trailer started working. I haven't seen any problems because of the fuse being in STUD#1, but I just wanted to be sure I have it in the right spot.

If I have it in the right spot, what is STUD#2 for then.

Thanks
Tim

Brad Pelot
02-22-2005, 07:27
My enclosed trailer has the interior lights ran from the tail lights on the pickup. The light will not work if the tail lights are not on. I suppose because it is a small trailer and just has a four prong plug.

tpaulson
02-22-2005, 07:34
I am using the 7 pin round trailer connector that comes installed with the heavy duty trailer package.

Tim

More Power
02-22-2005, 09:00
Transferred to the Towing (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=13;DaysPrune=30) forum.

MP