PDA

View Full Version : Cost of injector replacement?

J54 Mark
02-22-2004, 10:29
From another thread:

"they (dealer) say it's a 6hr job to change an injector and they are starting on it today.
Basically if the injector noise goes away the dealer will do all they can to push it through warranty, if not I just bought a $500 injector"

WHOA!! Hold on there! Six hours to change an injector? $500 to replace one? Can this be right? I'm supposed to sign up for my new truck in a couple of days - should I cancel now and get while the getting is good?

Roy-C
02-22-2004, 11:39
I believe that on the LLY engine the injectors are much easier to replace sicne they are now accessible without even removing the valve cover. I think that I also read that the cost for the injector is also lower. I have been wondering about this myself in conjunction with trying to decide if I will install a second fuel filter. (when my truck gets here, that is.) Maybe some more knowledgeble members will be able to tell us more or correct me if I am wrong - which is entirely possible since I am a comlete diesel newbie.

OC_DMAX
02-22-2004, 11:43
Make sure that you get the LLY version of the DMAX (if you purchase a new truck). If you go down to the dealership, there will most likely still be a mixture of LLY and LB7 Duramax equipped trucks.

The 6 hour time is for the old LB7 version (which is what most of us have). With the new LLY design, the injector replacement is supposed to take substantially less time. I'll let the people who repair these things for a living give their estimates on LLY versus LB7. Read the write-up on the new LLY at the top of the page here for a better description.

J54 Mark
02-22-2004, 19:34
Even so, six hours? Granted, I don't know the engine, but six hours???? That sounds more like the time to r&r a head. Maybe both!

Mark

rickdlance
02-22-2004, 20:06
I was just told $5000 for all 8 installed in my 2001 and they don't even know if it will fix my problem. OUCH!

56Nomad
02-23-2004, 10:24
rickdlance,

The good news is that once they're replaced
(the injectors), they'll have a lifetime warrenty smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
02-24-2004, 16:42
6 hours is about right, depending on the experience of the tech. A good hour or better is spent in just diagnosis if its done properly. Too R&R both heads,, a day and a half minimum.

I have not heard of 'lifetime' warranty on replaced injectors

Alli-max
02-25-2004, 22:02
Originally posted by rickdlance:
I was just told $5000 for all 8 installed in my 2001 and they don't even know if it will fix my problem. OUCH! Thats about what I paid. But that was after the head gasket went out. :mad: :rolleyes: (yea, I still lurk over here every now and again!)