PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lift Pump Relay Wiring

SS396
09-14-2003, 09:49
To jbplock, abear or or anyone else who can help.

I am installing a relay for the lift pump I am installing and am runnig into problems. I am not electrical expert so i am assuming I am the problem.

I used jbplock's wiring schematic to wire the OP switch and relay, and wanted to test before I complete the wiring to the lift pump. My problem is that I am blowing the 10 amp fuse to the relay.

I have one wire from the OP switch to ground, the other is attached to the "86" terminal on the relay, the OP switch works.

I connected a fused wire from the B+ terminal to the "30" terminal on the relay, plus a jumper to the "85" terminal. I think here is where my problem is.

I wanted to hook it all up to see if I am getting power on the "87" terminal (to power the lift pump) all I am doing is blowing the fuse.

Thanks in advance

jbplock
09-14-2003, 11:45
Originally posted by SS396:
... plus a jumper to the "85" terminal. I think here is where my problem is. SS396,

When does the fuse blow? When you hook up 85 the wire? If the fuse is blowing, there is a dead short somewhere. There should also be a schematic on the relay. Check to see if the functions of the terminals on your relay are the same as the ones in my schematic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/77018086/78006127xwErdP). Wire to the functions if the terminal #s are different. Also, I'm sure you have double-checked your connections but sometimes the way the labels are placed next to the terminals can be misleading.

Shoot me an email at diesel1 @ usadatanet.net with your phone# and I'll give you a call... I’m sure we can figure this out! smile.gif

SS396
09-14-2003, 12:10
Thanks Bill for the response.

What I finally did was connect the OP switch to the "85" terminal and connect the "86" terminal to another power source and it works.

Now the fun part, cutting the fuel line and hooking up the hoses. I am using compression fittings and pre-made hoses, much like Josh (gmsmitty) did, plus I am using the FM100 lift pump combo with a bypass.

If I need help I will shoot you an e-mail, thanks again.

Pat.

SS396
09-14-2003, 12:12
Thanks Bill for the response.

What I finally did was connect the OP switch to the "85" terminal and connect the "86" terminal to another power source and it works.

Now the fun part, cutting the fuel line and hooking up the hoses. I am using compression fittings and pre-made hoses, much like Josh (gmsmitty) did, plus I am using the FM100 lift pump combo with a bypass.

If I need help I will shoot you an e-mail, thanks again.

Pat.

jbplock
09-14-2003, 12:38
Pat,

Great! Glad it's working! Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help.

GM Smitty
09-15-2003, 14:16
I'll tell you what...it's help like this that makes this forum what it is.
[quote]Shoot me an email at diesel1 @ usadatanet.net with your phone# and I'll give you a call... I

SS396
09-15-2003, 15:00
Amen, thanks to both of you