PDA

View Full Version : AFE air filter/noise

moisheh
09-14-2003, 10:12
Installed n AFE stage 1 kit last year as had problems getting the stage 2. Just installed the new stage 2 (with air tube). Now at any RPM over about 1300 there is a high pitched whine. I think it is the turbo, but not sure. Very irritating at speeds over 50 mph. Hurts the ears. Anyone else had this problem with AFE.

SmokeyMax
09-14-2003, 10:44
I put a FIPK K&N filter/tube on a 8.1 and man did it whistle. It sounded like I had a turbo. I think thats why they dont do straight inlet pipes on intake systems from the factory...the flexible inlet pipes changes the airflow where it cant whistle.

Minn-kota
09-14-2003, 13:49
If you don't want your Stage II, I'll gladly take it off your hands (and off your ears).

thechevyhdman
09-14-2003, 14:09
The noise was pretty much the main reason I bought the AFE.....That and pretty much guaranteed cold air induction...Its the nature of the setup. Cant change it that I know of
Bill

ratlover
09-15-2003, 06:45
Minn-kota beat me to it :( I'de be interested too

The old swiss cheesed box didnt give me enough whine :(

moisheh
09-15-2003, 16:13
Sorry guys I am NOT parting with the Stage 2 system. You do kind of get used to the high pitch whine. You would think that after years of drag racing I would not be able to hear anything. I hope it doesnt make the cat howl!! BTW: I spoke with AFE. They said a filter sock might help.

gene smith
09-16-2003, 02:05
L I be thars ole moesay, hey avlube this gentle man needs a lesson in synthetics, he says that amway oops i mean amsoil and synthetics are junk,also be very precise with your spelling and punctuations as he will be corrective.

Geno