PDA

View Full Version : H1 Alpha

TJ
05-22-2005, 08:53
I drove my first H1 Alpha yesterday. This configuration is very powerful and quiet. It receives my 2 thumbs up.

More Power
05-24-2005, 15:28
That's good news! What was your impression of the engine/radiator/intercooler packaging and overall appearance under the hood?

MP

TJ
05-24-2005, 17:50
Under the hood is certainly packed. All of the coolers are nicely organized and very clean. And, the fan is angled now. I did notice the fan a lot while driving. I think there is a lot of heat building up in a small and tight area. The fan clutch does a good job of taking care of it....

TJ

More Power
05-24-2005, 21:07
I had seen a couple of Duramax H1 conversions, and thought the execution of the mods left something to be desired. There's just so little room under the hood of an H1 to fit everything. Thanks for the info.

I hope GM can be persuaded to install a diesel in their H2. The boost in mpg would be good for its image.

MP

TJ
05-25-2005, 15:55
GM's done a nice job with the H1 beast. Show me what the competitors have to offer that will compete with that bad boy! smile.gif Like nothing else...

More Power
05-27-2005, 12:22
Got my issue of Four Wheeler mag yesterday. It contains an article on the H1 Alpha. $140K :eek: They expect to sell about 500 units/year.

MP

TJ
05-27-2005, 13:06
The one they turned me loose in was $146,000. It had the adventure package! ;)

Kennedy
06-08-2005, 13:02
If they'd deal from that price, I'd love to have one, but since production is so low I'msure they won't budge.

PS. The aftermarket will waste little time hopping them up. I know of a tuner that is pretty much ready to go. Got the word today...

NH2112
06-22-2005, 15:55
Originally posted by More Power:
I had seen a couple of Duramax H1 conversions, and thought the execution of the mods left something to be desired. There's just so little room under the hood of an H1 to fit everything. Thanks for the info.

I hope GM can be persuaded to install a diesel in their H2. The boost in mpg would be good for its image.

MP I'd rather see them discontinue the H2, 95% of them are driven by soccer moms for whom a Subaru Outback is too much to handle. Add in the fact that they're never paying attention to anything but the cell phone permanently attached to their ears and you have a recipe for disaster. Lastly, I think it's just plain irresponsible of GM to market a vehicle that can't get fuel mileage in the double digits even heading downhill with a tailwind - a vehicle with little to no utility, for that matter. IMO they'd be much better off downsizing the next generation of Hummer to something a little smaller than a K5 Blazer and powering it with a mildly beefed (150HP or so) off-the-shelf B3.9-125 (http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/b_series_const***p) Cummins or something similar. Look at those torque numbers! And these engines in stock form will make an 18,000lb Ingersoll-Rand VR-642C construction forklift get up and MOVE OUT, a 4000lb truck might be scary with this engine under the hood.

EDIT - No idea why the URL keeps getting corrupted, but the last 2 words should be "c o n s t . j s p" without spaces.