PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Injection making me crazy.

skidsteer loader
02-23-2004, 20:21
Does anyone no why the pilot injection turns off and on so much? I know load and throttle play a role, but my truck does it WAAY to often for my liking. Does the juice solve this or at least tone down the frequency alot? Dont get me wrong, love the truck but paying $47,000 to listen to that noise and be told its normal doesnt sit right with me. Is this more of an issue in cold weather? does the LLY also do this-will trade in if I have to just to get rid of the noise. To me it sounds like its pinging. Funny how I didnt hear this during my test drive. The D Max I feel is the most quiet of the 3 and that was a big issue with me, hope This doesnt turn out to be a mistake in the long run. Sorry for the long post. just a little unhappy right now. Any info on this subject is appreciated. Thanks.

Kennedy
02-23-2004, 20:25
I haven't heard any discernible change in sound for a LONG time, but then again, I'm running a Juice 99% of the time...

skidsteer loader
02-23-2004, 20:33
Thanks for the reply John, any info on my other questions about this topic? Also been meaning to call you with some juice questions before I order one, When is the best time to give you a shout? as Im sure your a Very busy guy.

Kennedy
02-24-2004, 07:59
Cold weather, fuel quality (cetane) etc can all play into this, but it is tough to say.

As for the LLY, I'm not really sure if you hear the transition or not.

It also seems that the intensity lessens as the engine breaks in...

Best time to call: 8am-5pm central, but you may end up leaving a voice mail as everybody seems to call at the same time...

I figure on waiting for the '05 model year to hit before I purchase an LLY...

mps007
02-24-2004, 15:20
My Pilot cuts out at 2500 rpm When under load -
I that is a very rare occasion as I only tow 15-20% of the time & on relatively flat land. I towed 10k up up to new england, and it only kicked off once or twice.
To my understanding it needs to be running over 2500 rpm to cancel the Pilot - if it comes onat less rpm's than that it may be a problem - Either that or stop getting on that turbo