PDA

View Full Version : New 2004's out in Jan

jeff800
09-15-2003, 22:44
I have heard the Duramax will get some teaking in January of 2004 (mid year). But no firm numbers some say 325hp 560?? torque can't remember the torque numbers, also some say the Allison has a limit to the torque it can safely output. So anyway saw this post over at irv2.com "...Also there is speculation that Duramax may even be boosted to 400HP at 2800 RPM and 580 Ft lbs of torque at 1800 RPM. "
Wow I wonder if there is any truth to that? From 300hp to 400hp I kinda doubt it but guess you never know. Anyone with some hard facts?

More Power
09-16-2003, 11:44
See this topic thread:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000188

MP

fredw
09-16-2003, 12:29
more power, can you tell me where you read that about the new o4 changes, talked to my dealer and he says he has not heard about those changes

jeff800
09-16-2003, 13:02
Hey thanks MorePower: I knew I had read that post before. Thanks for the info, Jeff.

Dealers (most) don't know squat, I had a Salesman try and convince me that the 3500 dually had the rear Quadrasteering like the Denali! Now that would be nice! I don't think he worked there very long. :confused:

[ 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: jeff800 ]

More Power
09-16-2003, 13:15
The Diesel Page is the source.

The exact power specification is the one point that I do not have specific info on, other than that it will be somewhere in range indicated.

During 1999-2000, GM dealers from all across the US and Canada read The Diesel Page's editorial content for current information related to the introduction of the Duramax/Allison. Four Wheeler magazine technical editor Willie Worthy and myself were the first automotive journalists to test the protoype Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison equipped trucks, as a joint effort in late October 1999. And I might add, performance testing occurred on the same hill here in Montana that we have since used for all Pull-Off events.

MP

[ 09-19-2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

DieselDixon
09-16-2003, 13:55
Wow, with numbers like those I

SmokeyMax
09-16-2003, 16:44
New/ Higher performance wouldn't suprise me..It's like buying a Corvette or an computer- you can count on them being twice as powerful every year or two. GM/Intel holding out us is BS. By the way...I just bought an 03 with all of the rebates and the dealer said that the changes would only be-
Moving fuel rail and possibly a new turbo but nothing of power increase. Oh well I gues I'll have to pump the Juice.

Applecore
09-16-2003, 18:27
Dealers don't know anymore than they can read or show you in their brochures. The brochure for 04 is almost identical to the 03. You can find out more in a recent issue of Trailer Life than from a dealer. Remember what they don't have they can't sell, so they will only "know" what they can sell. If you are lucky you might get some info from the DMax tech. that is sent to school on the DMax as new product is being explained to them. My $.02 worth.

20050528|8|000731|000000|205.188.117.71
09-17-2003, 08:59
Has anyone ordered a truck with the LLY engine yet? I was told that to get one with a build date after the new year you would need to order one mid-Sepember or later. That

jeff800
09-19-2003, 06:36
So how many think it is worth waiting for the new engine (not really new) just improved?
I'm looking at ordering soon but wondering if I should wait haven't asked the dealer when I would need to order to get the LLY.
So are they starting in January (building) or are they being delivered by January with the LLY?
I'm like a two year old "I want it now".

Captain Mal
09-19-2003, 07:02
Jeff800,

If you plan on keeping the truck OUT OF WARRANTY then wait for the new motor. I have spent almost $6,000 the past few months breaking down and fixing problems with the Duramax fuel system as it is now configured under the valve covers.

The new motor will hopefully address a number of design defects that seriously mar this motor for long-term use.

IMHO an informed person, planning on keeping the truck over 100,000 miles and out of warranty, should wait to see if the new motor is better. Only a real idiot, knowing this, would buy one now.

More Power
09-19-2003, 08:22
Reasons to buy now:

1- 3-1/2 model years of experience with the current engine configuration. From dealer techs to owners, we know a ton about the LB7.

2- 2nd party replacement fuel injection components will soon become available to repair out of warranty engines. Future costs for repairs will drop considerably.

3- Current turbocharger seems not to be affected by fuel/oil dilution. The new Garrett turbocharger is. Moving the Duramax fuel return lines to outside the LLY valve covers will help that situation, but may not in all cases.

Reasons to wait:

1- Lots of new stuff. No reliability data, but the engineering provided by Isuzu/DMAX is top notch. More power in gears 2-4. Uprated Allison.

2- Be at the leading edge....

Personally, I would rather make the choice based on rebates, dealer incentives and interest rates. You'll likely be satisfied with the truck either way.

MP

Captain Mal
09-19-2003, 16:15
Morepower,

Good assessment above and I agree. Labor costs on cheaper injectors will still be quite high IF, and if is the operative word, the upgraded or 2nd generation ones will need attention.

I plan on replacing mine (if it is still running) sometime in May when I return north from living at the Tampa house.

koolgt
09-20-2003, 11:15
well i have also heard there gonna do some major, MAJOR, tweaking in 06 if anyone wants to wait:)