PDA

View Full Version : Guage install problem

WillowCreekStable
09-16-2003, 09:44
Finally took the gauges I bought last May off the shelf, dusted them off and installed them last weekend. The problem I have is with the added weight of the gauges, the pillar trim won

More Power
09-16-2003, 11:35
Would spreading the metal fingers of the clip help?

I had my A-pillar molding off/on about a dozen time during my gauge install. It's not worked loose since.

MP

Ram
09-16-2003, 12:23
Just went through that exact same problem yesterday.

I used some gel superglue and glued the clip onto the A-Pillar molding. Works.

WillowCreekStable
09-16-2003, 13:40
When the trim piece is removed, is the clip supposed to come off the plastic, or is the clip supposed to come out of the metal?

I might have to go with the super glue solution.

More Power
09-16-2003, 13:51
The metal clip is supposed to remain with the A-pillar molding.

If the glue doesn't hold, you could add a screw (which wouldn't be seen beneath the gauge pod cover.

MP

WillowCreekStable
09-17-2003, 04:29
Thats the problem, the clip has come off the molding. Pulled the passenger side molding last night and the same thing happened. I gave the clip a tune up and put it back together. Didn't fall off this morning but didn't hit any rough roads either. If getting the clip to stay on the molding is the trick, I think I can rig something up.

Thanks all! :D

sdaver
09-17-2003, 05:11
I used a plastic pop rivit body shops use to position interior trim.........painted the head to match the trim......dave

HD-Nate
09-17-2003, 09:17
Lag Bolts???

Super Glue????

Rivets????

Screws???

Geez guys are you cheap or what :D

Go to your dealer and order a couple new metal brackets, remove them from the hole in the A-piller and replace them with the new ones.

Cost, about $3.00.

I had to do this when I ran a dedicated wire up from my main fuse block in the console to my radar detector.

I

WillowCreekStable
09-17-2003, 13:51
Yup cheap is my middle name. I'll fight with something for days before I spend a buck! I'm a packrat too. You should see my workshop. Got to be something in there I can use. Ummmm look at this piece left over from when I hung those curtain rods back in '82...... give it twist here and a bend there....yea thats the ticket...... :rolleyes:

HD-Nate
09-17-2003, 17:03
Originally posted by WillowCreekStable:
Yup cheap is my middle name. I'll fight with something for days before I spend a buck! He heee..... you guys crack me up.

Anyway didnt get a lunch today, too busy at work :rolleyes: But here is the part number as promised.

Its one of those two???

WillowCreekStable
09-18-2003, 04:25
Thx for the P/N's Nathan.

It hasn't fallen off since I re-bent the clip, but a couple of those will make a fine addition to my spare parts collection. :D

I'll probably need them, that blank space in the overhead is just screaming for something to be installed there.

WillowCreekStable
09-18-2003, 04:31
P.S.

Nathane ~ where did you get your Allison sticker? I'd like to put one where you have but the ones I've seen look too big next to the Dmax emblem.

HD-Nate
09-18-2003, 05:12
Originally posted by WillowCreekStable:
P.S.

Nathane ~ where did you get your Allison sticker? I'd like to put one where you have but the ones I've seen look too big next to the Dmax emblem. I bet I get asked that at least once a week :D

Go to:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001423#000000

There is a post there started asking the same question. A few guys here on the forum have them. Wish I had extras I could have sold a bunch of them!

Ram
09-18-2003, 05:41
There was no way the metal clip was going to stay on the molding I removed. The mounting point was all mangled. No matter how I bent the metal clip, it wouldn't stay. It was either glue it on or buy a new piece of molding. Since gauges were already installed, I didn't want to do that. Why is it that the easiest things always turn out to be the toughest?

HD-Nate
09-18-2003, 06:43
Originally posted by Ram:
There was no way the metal clip was going to stay on the molding I removed. The mounting point was all mangled. No matter how I bent the metal clip, it wouldn't stay. .......Why is it that the easiest things always turn out to be the toughest? Yep, did the same thing. Mangled the clip up so bad that I had no choice but to get another one.

I agree on the easiest turning into the hardest. I removed the kick panel to install my Prodigy last night for a trip on Friday. One of the clips on the upper portion broke :mad: . So I rigged up a clip to get me by till I can get back to the dealer :mad: :mad: