PDA

View Full Version : SPA DG211 Problems

tjc
09-18-2003, 13:13
I have been having a problem with erratic boost readings. I have been talking with Dave at SPA and he has been trying hard to be helpful. Everything worked fine for a few months then problems. Lighting quit and funny boost,we changed heads.Boost still erratic we changed sensor. Lights again and a new head yesterday. Still have erratic boost (sometimes spikes over 100psi. New suggestion is to see if cable from sensor to gauge is close to any other harness picking up spikes. Has anyone experienced any similar problem??

joecfd1
09-18-2003, 14:03
TJC,

I had the same problems with my boost gauge. I thought it was kinda cool having 148# of boost. I talked with SPA and the told me to pull the plug apart, clean the contacts very well and reassemble with die-electric grease. I did this as well as heat shrinking the connection to ensure proper connection. To date, no problems...good luck.

Thanks, Joe

:D :D :D

joecfd1
09-18-2003, 14:07
TJC,

I forgot to add, the plug I am refering to it the connection between the sender and the main loom. Also, if you added the sender in line with the wastegate control hose, make sure you run a seperate ground as rubber is not a good conductor of electricity.

Thanks, Joe

tjc
09-18-2003, 14:21
Thanks Joe,
I will try the di-electric grease. I already have a hard ground from sensor to ground. How did you go about cleaning the connector contacts?

tjc

HoustonDMax
09-19-2003, 03:51
Have had this problem on and off for the entire year and a half that I have had the guage. Had issues with the egt side as well

Randomly boost reads either extremely high (up to + 253, IIRC) or low (- 57, which I am experiencing now).

Working with Dave and Dick at SPA, have changed heads, boost transducers, egt probe or thermocouple, several times. Have redone all connections and grounds many times. Every time I go through it, it will work ok for a while before it starts acting up again. Extremely frustrating!

Am patiently waiting on the Edge "Attitude", as I am tired of messing with the SPA guage. SPA guage is great when it works, I have to admit. Just, for the money it cost, I expect it to work correctly the vast majority of the time.

Since I am still in a wait mode, I will give the di-electric grease a try this weekend. That is one thing I have not tried.

joecfd1, you say you heat shrunk wrapped the two pronged, rubber connection coming off the boost transducer, like what you probably did to the egt probe? I have a concern on that, since I seem to have to take mine apart so often. Of course, if that fixes the problem, then I don't have to take it apart!