PDA

View Full Version : my first 04 duramax truck , what can i do ???

DATSBAD
09-19-2003, 08:59
hello , this is the first duramax i have bought and i love it . i would like to do some mods to it but i do not know which . i would like to keep it quiet with the exhaust and the most pulling i will do with it for now is snowmobiles to canada , 1200 mile round trip .

can anyone tell what to get .
intake/filter
chip or box whatever you guys call them
anything alse inexspensive

please tell what kind of power i can get with the mods you recomend . thanks you can email me at jasmhuber@earthlink.net or post to the forum . thanks

More Power
09-19-2003, 13:51
I'd recommend keeping everything stock - at least long enough for you to determine that the truck runs and drives normally. This "getting acquainted period" will also give you an opportunity to get somewhat used to the powertrain and how the truck handles. If there's anything that needs attention, your dealer will be better able to solve the problem if the truck is completely stock - stock tires, stock wheels, no aftermarket engine products.

Once you're ready to personalize the truck, I'd recommend doing a keyword search here in this Duramax 6600 forum for the words:

1- Magnuson-Moss
2- Comparison

This would be a good place to start....

Good luck,

MP

sonofagun
09-20-2003, 06:15
DATSBAD,

You don't mention which truck you have but More Power has it exactly right. Ride it as it is for a while. If you don't pull heavy you don't really need a chip unless you just want to go faster. If you chip you need guages (PYRO and EGT) and a 4" exhaust system. If you have a short bed you have a 26 gal tank which means a lot of stops on a 1200 mile trip. I installed a 43 gal across the bed aux tank. I can pull 13500# and not stop all day for fuel. You won't get your money back for this mod (mabye in 200,000 miles) but it makes life much more enjoyable. The stock shocks are lousy, consider replacing them with Bilsteins. Change out your differential fluid after your first 500 mile pull. There are lots of fun toys and trinkets for these trucks and it can take years to figure it all out (not to mention pay for it all!!).\

Enjoy your truck and welcome to the DieselPage.

Regards,
Bob

DATSBAD
09-20-2003, 06:35
thanks for the help , i just want more power than the other trucks runing around here and want to smoke my buddies psd bad . i am thinking of the predator and the juice . which would you get ? i like the ease of installation and the fact i can remove easily to take to the dealer .

i am going to also put on 17x8.5 weld cheyane wheels and 317/70/17 bfg's . i am just woried about taking away ride quality with cranking the torsion bars . maybe the next size smaller tire is what i need instead of the 315's .

what about an air filter or intake? thanks and answers are appreciated .

jesshd
09-20-2003, 07:40
Just for clarity, an EGT gauge and pyro gauge are the same thing. Exhaust gas temp and pyrometer. Same thing. You probably want a boost gauge and EGT/Pyro.

Jess

DATSBAD
09-21-2003, 10:43
anyone have any thoughts for me , seems someone here is having some problems with the predator , but i like the adjustments for tire size on the predator