PDA

View Full Version : Flex-a-lite

Badman40
07-25-2005, 15:38
I have a set of electric fans on my Avalanche that replaced the engine driven fans. They pull 5500 cfm of air and work great in the heat. They are variable speed and work with coolant temp probe. Do you think they would be sufficiant for a Duramax? On flex-a-lites web site it states up to 18000 gvw.

More Power
07-25-2005, 15:53
Your OEM 9-blade 21" engine driven fan can pull more than 10,000-cfm at 3000 engine rpm.

Jim

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2005, 15:54
Welcome to the forums!

5500 CFM??? Not even close. The engine driven fan will pull more than double that under full engagement.

This has been hashed out with the 6.2/6.5's. It has worked for some of them, but never for towing or hauling.

An "auxilary" electric fan may be helpful if you do a lot of city driving or idling. I would not suggest replacing the OEM with one.

JD Diesel
07-25-2005, 17:42
Well this answered some questions about elec fans on another truck that i was going to use them on. Quess I wont now .JD

Kennedy
07-26-2005, 05:14
Visco-electric supposedly for the 2006. No further details, butshould prove interesting. I spoke with an engineer who simply said "good luck" as he did not think it was going to be all that spectacular, especially with all the torque of the 21" fan...

Lawnboy
07-26-2005, 19:24
I feel that properly engineered dual electric fans could easily handle the job. The proper one just isn't available yet.

Remember, the engine driven fans efficiency is dependent on engagement (slippage) and engine RPM. Both of which are not under driver control under certain circumstances.

Where as dual electric fans are operating at 100% during ALL engine RPM's, and will engage at a specified ECT not the temp that a bi-metalic spring feels on the front of a thermal-viscous clutch.

With the apparent problem with certain LLY equipped trucks running "HOT" while towing heavy, I feel that more time needs to be spent in the cooling dept by GM.

Time will tell how the new '06 Visco-electric fan will perform.