PDA

View Full Version : Moron dealer ruins ownership experience

ZFMax
05-07-2002, 08:35
A couple thousand miles ago, my '02 Duramax developed a vibration noise at a specific rpm. It can be quite loud at times, although it's generally pretty subtle. I reproduced it for the dealer, but not surprisingly, when I picked up the truck later that day they claimed they weren't able to locate it.

Took the truck home, and with my wife behind the wheel holding the rpm at that point, it took me all of 2 minutes to figure out it was the exhaust system. Putting a hand on the head pipe makes it stop. The noise is originating up near the engine somewhere. Could be that heat shield around the turbo down tube. I tightened that clamp that holds the head pipe to the down tube and the noise seems to have diminished somewhat, at least I haven't heard it be real loud since I did that 2 days ago. But it's definitely still there.

So back to the dealer, and this time, after once again having the truck all day and not fixing anything, they tell me "It's normal. Diesel motors vibrate."

Grrrr .... Guess for the first 12K miles of the truck's life, it must've been broken because it wasn't making this "normal" noise, huh?

These are the same morons who've had my truck 5 times and have managed to fix only one thing, the SES/block heater issue. They can't fix the steering rattle (they're now taking a denial approach on that too) or the squeaky clutch either. And of course, they ignore my input on both of these things.

Called GM-CARES, and found out no, they don't care, nor are they even remotely knowledgeable on the issues with the trucks. Near as I can tell, they exist solely to call the dealer and get their side. Guess I'll have to go to arbitration. Can't wait to hear them make the case that a vibrating noise emanating from the exhaust system is "normal".

Nothing so bad as having an ownership experience ruined by an incompetent dealer and a corporation that could care less. This will be my last GM product.

Norquist
05-07-2002, 10:05
I just experienced the same type noise. I could touch the air intake hose connecting to the intake of the turbo and it would stop. I found that I could also move the end of the tail pipe and it would also stop. Thinking it was turbo related I took it to the dealer and he found one of the bolts holding the turbo was loose and that's all it was. Might want to have your dealer check the all the turbo bolts.
I posted the problem here but didn't get too much help seems people shy away from "weird noise" problems I guess.

hickcox
05-07-2002, 11:27
ZFMax

If somebody had a clue as to the general City/State you live in they may be able to help put you in touch with a decent dealership close to you or within a reasonable distance.
I know a couple in my area.

EIS01
05-07-2002, 11:45
A lot of the trucks have had the exhuast mount in the passenger side wheel well crack. Lift the plastic liner in the wheel well, so you can see the down pipe. There is a thin metal bracket holding the pipe. There will be a horizontal crack, get a bright light. If the truck is running, and making the noise, push and pull on it. It will stop the vibration. I figured mine out, by using the high idle, at around 950 RPM's it was the worst. It would do it as long as the truck ran at those RPM's. It will drive a guy crazy. There was a previous post on this, but I cannot locate it. My dealer just got done welding mine. Several other trucks I know have had the same problem. Good Luck With Your Truck. Kevin

EIS01
05-07-2002, 11:52
I found two posts, But not the one's I was looking for. Check out your trucks, I would be willing to bet that is what is making your noise. Have a great day, Kevin

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002375&p=

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003007&p=

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: EIS01 ]</p>

ZFMax
05-07-2002, 13:10
Hey, thanks guys, you're the best ... I'm in CO, near Denver. I'll look at the bracket and the turbo mounting both. 950rpm is just about where mine does this. It's really difficult sometimes to hold it at the exact rpm.

I'm just really annoyed that the dealer had the gall to tell me it's "normal", and all that the useless people at Chevrolet could offer was "we always stand behind the dealer's diagnosis". Fercrissakes.

ZFMax
05-07-2002, 13:23
I couldn't stand the curiousity ... went out to the parking lot and looked at it. Turbo seemed tight. Pulled the wheel well liner back, shined a flashlight in there, sure enough, a VERY obvious broken bracket. Thanks again.

AndrewF
05-07-2002, 14:04
ZFMAX, now for your second problem i.e. the squeeking clutch. I was being driven mad by the same thing last year ( got my truck in April 2001 ). Endured the squeek for weeks and dealer couldn't fix it no matter what he did. On the advice of other members on this site, I got the dealer to take the stupid plastic spring assembly off the clutch and ....... gonzo went the problem for good. Now changes are smooth as silk and quiet as the night. Try it ... you'll be a happy man !! :D :D ;)

ZFMax
05-07-2002, 14:27
Well, I suggested that to him, and he said no. Same answer I got when I suggested the new bearing to fix the steering rattle. They're just not willing to work WITH me. Instead, I take the truck in over and over and over and nothing gets fixed and eventually they start lying to me and telling me the problems are "normal".

So anyway, I see that spring up under the dash, it's got a clever linkage that looks like it's designed to lift the pedal up all the way when released, but when pushing the clutch it goes over-center and actually helps push the clutch in. I managed to get the spring itself out and it didn't help the squeaking and it also didn't feel right, like the pedal wasn't coming all the way up anymore and it took more pressure to depress. I put it back in.

Did I do it wrong? Is it the entire assembly, i.e. spring and plastic holder and linkages that needs to come out?