PDA

View Full Version : 2002 CA differences

ndamico
05-07-2002, 11:06
Hi, i am planning on replacing my 2002 D/A's exhaust. Because my truck is CA Emissions, does it have an extra CAT? if i were to remove it for testing purposes, would i just install an aftermarket exhaust for a non-CA 2002 dmax, or a non-CA 2001? if my truck does have 2 cats, can i remove both or only one? please slap me if i'm crazy! thank you all for your help!

nick

Mike Vonada
05-07-2002, 12:48
Nick,
First your CA truck does not have a cat on it. What you are looking at is a muffler (the big one) and a resinator (the little one). Diesels don't have cats on them, yet (they would plug up).
So that means you can have at it, pick a system and go for it. :D

ndamico
05-07-2002, 12:53
i thought there were some emissions control differences between the CA and non-CA trucks. what are they? also i thought there were emission control differences between 2001's and 2002's. anybody?

mackin
05-07-2002, 14:32
Yes, there is a difference between CA, and non CA. diesel in the emission hardware........ The 2001 CA. have no convertor, but it was mandatory in 2002 for you anti smoggers in CA. As far as any mods to your existing truck .... ME "mackin" wouldn't recommend doing anything to jeopardize your safety, or your vehicles warranty.......LAWFUL or NON LAWFUL tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
MAC :D

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
05-07-2002, 16:42
Mike Vonada

Call it what you like. Resonator/catalytic converter. Either way, it's a cat. Don't believe everything your dealer tells you. If you don't believe me, go to the parts dept. and ask for a "resonator" for your truck. Your truck will (should) also have an emissions declaration sticker under the hood that states "catalyst" on it. Diesel pick ups have had cats on them for years, all brands. It depends on the current whim of the EPA. Won't be long before even OTR diesels will have them.

SoCalDMAX
05-07-2002, 17:27
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately, the '02 CA version Dmax trucks DO have catalytic converters as well as EGR. The short fat canister under the passenger foot area is the cat (there's only 1.) There are a number of subtle differences between the '01 and '02 CA trucks. IIRC, the '01 CA truck is identical to the other 49 states, the '02 has little differences all related to the intake and exhaust plumbing and computer programming necessary for EGR.

I have no idea how this affects performance, if at all.

As for removing it, let your conscience be your guide. I agree with most people that a cat doesn't belong on a diesel and it sure seems like it would clog up. Be prepared to see a small amount of black smoke when stomping on it if you do remove it. ;)

Regards, Steve

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

ndamico
05-07-2002, 18:05
SoCalDMAX,

thanks for the info, that's kinda what i thought from reading the back threads. If i were to get aftermarket exhaust, i presume a 49 state system would bolt up in front of where the cat would go, allowing me to remove it and store it in my garage where it belongs?

thanks

Luis
05-07-2002, 19:00
For all you CA guy's; Move to Nevada and buy some ocean front property. When California drifts out into the ocean it will no doubt become it's own country. :D :D :D

odoh
05-07-2002, 19:11
Nick ~ Petrillas in Auburn confirms just as SoCalMax says. Also, there is a law in place re tampering w/emission equipment. :eek: Don't do it as the fines can be pretty stiff (they're looking for someone to make an example (?) now that we have so many of our cities on the bad air list) not to mention legal fees.

Mike also thinks that CA will start smogging diesels sometime in the future. While the limits may be different from the gassers, a hassle is still a hassle. ~ odoh

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

Bill McGouirk
05-07-2002, 20:16
I have a 2001 4x4 std. cab Dmax. It has no cat I assume that it is the same as all of the others. I took it to the dealer last week and they told Me that they needed to replace the air box now its the same as a 2002.

Bill