PDA

View Full Version : HELP! f'd up fuel filter change

matt-max
05-07-2002, 18:52
okay, so i copied the fuel filter change info from a recent topic on this page and got the old one off and the new one on. so far so good.

but where is the primer bulb? we looked for half an hour and can't see where mine has one.

got the filter bled but the truck will not start. not even a single hit.

we did fill the filter with diesel first too.

does this mean all the air is at the injectors now? and if so how does it get bled out?

huge thanks to anyone taking pity upon me and helping out

matt

Searay90
05-07-2002, 19:01
The primer piston is right on top of the fuel filter mount that you screwed the fuel filter onto. There is a small black plastic plug next to it that has a hex shaped head, as well as a screwdriver slot in it. That is the "vent". Just loosen the vent screw a few turns (do not remove it), then push the "primer piston" up and down until fuel runs out of the vent. When fuel runs out, tighten the vent. Then pump it another time or two. it should start up now.

matt-max
05-07-2002, 19:04
thanks for the speedy reply!! will try this out first thing in the a.m. and get it going again.

just put 4 new bilsteins on today and can't wait to drive it.

IndigoDually
05-07-2002, 21:21
The primer is a cylinder on top of the fuel filter. it is about an inch tall and about an inch and a quarter in diameter. Crack the bleeder screw about a quarter turn and pump the primer until it bubbles, shut it tight and start the truck.

John

matt-max
05-07-2002, 21:39
thanks John

as i stated above, we'll try this and get it going again.

how do you like your mods on the 6.5? i've got a 6.5 3500hd myself. its a 97 i bought new. got a 96 and 98 k3500 as well. haven't done anything with them as far as performance mods...like to keep them going reasonably slow while being driven by people who don't own them or pay the insurance, if you know what i mean.

i'll be putting the vanaaken box back on the dmax if this fuel filter change cures its intermittent running problem. it gets driven like a sports car much of the time (like i said, can't wait to try the bilsteins as the stockers are way shot at 39k).

love the flag rear window treatment in your pics. very well done

matt

Plasticfantastic
05-09-2002, 09:58
Since Matt brought it up, the rear window thing is pretty cool Indigo. I'm guessing it went on the inside of the glass?? Was that a special order kinda thing?? I tinted my rear window so it probably wouldn't hardly show up on mine :( .
Been considering the flag bowtie emblem for the grill instead.

As a side note Matt, I had to bleed mine twice to get all the air out. The plunger on top (that doesn't look like a plunger) is a little hard to push in the first couple of times.

Searay90
05-10-2002, 10:55
Matt,

Did the procedure work for you??

matt-max
05-10-2002, 14:10
YES!!!

i am just used to the primer bulb setup on my bobcat and johndeere...that's what i was looking for instead.

i drove the 98 6.5 k3500 for the night and then went into the shop wednesday a.m., saw the damn primer thingy and was damn glad it wasn't a snake!!

took maybe 15 seconds to prime it and start it up.

hooked the v-a box back up and am back to burning rubber.

also...kennedy said he's been running his v-a on full even towing heavy loads so after a hundred miles of no box and no further hesitation problems i have gone to using the box on full even while towing.

thursday i was merging onto the hiway up a steep hill and could not get past 62mph with the foot to the floor and the box off and the bobcat (about 11k with trailer) on the back. i switched to the low power setting and got an almost instant surge to 72mph before i backed out of it.

i have been towing my race trailer and what ever else on the high power setting since then (250 miles or so) and have had no further problems.

hopefully it is sorted!!

thanks again to coming to help in my time of need! that is truly what makes this group so great!!!

matt

IndigoDually
05-10-2002, 14:30
The decal goes on the outside of the glass. It is a pressure sensative adhesive that goes on dry. The only complaint that I have with it is that it collects water in the rain and you can't really see through it. Otherwise light or dark you can see great through it. I have it on a tinted on my D-Max.

Matt, The HyperTech chip is great but you have to keep an eye on the egt.'s The exhaust makes a nice sound and does help with the temps. I also don't run the cat. and that helps.

John