PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent clicking at an idle...

LJ
07-27-2005, 16:55
Help me out, guys. I know it's my first Duramax and all... but mine has an intermittent clicking at idle that sounds like a sticky lifter or the old manual fuel pumps on the side of the engine.

I can't figure that one out. I guess I'll have to have it checked out. Any ideas before I make a fool of myself to the service tech?

DmaxMaverick
07-27-2005, 17:03
Is the frequency like an old manual typewriter? Moreso at the driver's side wheel well?

If so, don't worry. It's called "The Tick". Most of them do it when new. It should go away within a couple thousand miles. There is a TSB on the noise, and GM insists it hurts nothing. It may go away, then come back after a while, then go away. All years of Duramax engines have done it. Your choice of oil brands may have some effect on it.

Fishman95129
07-28-2005, 06:51
Is the "tick" only at idle? I have the exact same noise but only when foot is on the gas. Sounds just like an old typewriter and mostly heard on driver

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2005, 08:45
Fishman

The "tick" should only be heard at idle, or slightly above. Your issue does not sound like the tick. The Duramax, of all years, does seem to have a slight fuel knock when under load. Mine did it when new, and does it after 8 new injectors at ~90K. I have several friends with Duramax's of all M/Y's, and theirs is similar. If your noise is very pronounced, I suggest you have the dealer look at it. You may have other issues. I also notice the engine seems to make more noise as the fuel filter reaches the end of its usefulness. If you haven't changed the filter in a while, try that first. It may save you some embarrassment (and some $$) at the dealer.

BTW:
Ain't Tahoe great? Just got back from a couple weeks at the North Shore. I really hated returning back to the 100

Fishman95129
07-28-2005, 09:08
It's not a pronounced noise, just quiet enough to be annoying. Sounds like the ticking noise is being generated by air or something. I'll give it another 1,000 miles or so before taking it back in. I'll also try changing the oil and filter.

Yea, Tahoe is killer. We have a house in Tahoe Donner, Truckee. Fished Stampede three days for kokanne and killed them. 111 degrees coming home through Sac on Sunday. Brutal !

jbplock
07-28-2005, 18:27
Some More info: Ticking noise (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007612) ...

DEMAXALLIS
08-01-2005, 16:48
It will go away, it's just a matter of time.