PDA

View Full Version : Warranty debate/Change.......

01_Duramax_Dually
05-08-2002, 22:33
I have a friend who just bought an 02 2500HD Dmax/Allison. He came by to show me and we were sitting around chatting about the trucks, I was showing him all the great things that I have learned on this page and so on. We were comparing differences and then a warranty question hit when I saw the window sticker. So I got out my 01 brochure and he had his 02, this is what we found:
On Page 29 of the 01 brochure it states" when purchased with the Duramax/Allison Combo you get a limited warranty of 5years/100K miles, which ever comes first.

When we looked at the 02 brochure it states nothing about that type of warranty with that combo, on page 49 it states all 02 trucks come with a 3 year/36K miles, which ever comes first.

Needless to say, he is going back to the dealer tomorrow, His window sticker said the same 3year/36K mile, mine shows the 5yr deal.

Has anybody else come across this and questioned it?
I would like to get some information on this for him. Someone had told me that originally GM had concerns about the sales and acceptance of the truck by the general public, so they offered this warranty in 01 in hopes people would buy in, but now with the overwhelming sales success, they since pulled back the warranty package..Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: 01_Duramax_Dually ]</p>

stolley
05-08-2002, 23:38
The Duramax website still shows 100,000 mile warranty. See:
http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/07_warranties/index.htm

hoot
05-09-2002, 05:55
GM has made it difficult for the consumer and the sales people to understand the warranty on the Allison. When it's all said and done, the Allison is 3/36,000 by default. In other words, they specifically state the engine as having 5/100,000 with no mention of the transmission.

I remember more than once asking a GM rep what the Allison or the Dmax warranty was and not getting a satisfactory answer.

01_Duramax_Dually
05-09-2002, 07:22
Hoot,
I agree. It is unclear. To me a key feature in the purchase of the truck(along with many other items) was the fact it did indeed have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. I felt that GM was extremely confident the motor/tranny combo was a durable piece(Which to date, has been)
I am just trying to help clarify for my Dmax friend who feels they pulled back a bit. I re-read the 02 brochure from cover to cover including all that small yellow print and it mentions nothing about a 5/100 warranty for any component, where as the 01 has it mentioned in numerous places, most clearly on page 29.

mdrag
05-09-2002, 08:07
01_Duramax_Dooley,

Try this link:

www.duramaxdiesel.com/07_warranties/index.htm

Indicates 5 year/100k warranty on the DMAX engine - with a deductible after 3 years/36k. This site is directly linked from Chevrolet's web page. Does not make a distinction between '01 and '02.

odoh
05-09-2002, 09:04
However, depending on how one reads it, their website seems to leave it open that there could be a surcharge for warranty service after a 36/36000 even for the engine?
"The engine is covered by a five year or 100,000 mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty. A deductible per repair visit may apply after the vehicle has been in use for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for more information."
:confused: ~ odoh

hoot
05-09-2002, 09:23
I find that $100 deductable to be annoying and with it put that way leads us to believe the ones that do charge it are just pocketing the cash.

Milkman
05-09-2002, 09:24
Hello everyone!

This is my first post so please go easy!! smile.gif smile.gif I have been skulking around for about a year and decided to finally come out of the closet, the diesel closet....

I am wondering if any Canadian Duramax owners can help shed some light on their Duramax/Allison warranty since I cannot seem to find anything on the web. The GM canada site is pretty poor compared to the American one!

Thanks a bunch!

bora
05-09-2002, 17:02
My US spec truck bought in CA accidentally came with the Canadian warranty booklet, the canadian warranty is the same as the US warranty but the deductible is higher I think (100 converted to CDN dollar)

dcpdave
05-09-2002, 17:38
gentlemen,
to clarify the warranty on the duramax, and allison. the g.m. warranty and policy manual(the bible) states that the duramax engine is warrantied bumper to bumper for 3/36 at no charge. after 3/36, up to 5/100,000 the engine is covered with a 100.00 deductable. the allison is only covered for 3/36. this warranty applies to both 2001, and 2002 model years. I looked it up in both manuals, just to be sure.
hope this helps clarify.

01_Duramax_Dually
05-10-2002, 07:28
DcpDave,
Thanks for the clarification, my friend kind of got the same answer back from his dealer. Unfortunatley what still remains unclear is the 01 makes no mention of the $100 deductible deal. According to the brochure it only surfaces with 02. Was their a change in GM policy or was it not clarified and posted for the 01 and the same applies?

Either way I am going to hit 36K looooooong before 3 years is up, so mine will be the "Whichever comes First".

Also, further note, you mentioned 3yr/36K bumper to bumper on the DMAX, actually that is GM's standard warranty on ALL vehicles, not just the DMAX....

dcpdave
05-10-2002, 13:33
jeff,
sometimes i have to just scratch my head about g.m., we have 1 '01 on the lot and i looked in the owners manual booklets. in the "warranty and owner assistance information" booklet on page 5, it shows 3/36 no charge, after 3/36, and up to 5/100,000 a $100 deductable applies, but it shows it as a 6.5L DIESEL!!!!!!! sometimes i wonder. I will keep my eye out for another '01, and check it, and see what it says. but the "bible" does show the deductable on '01 and '02. and the "bible" is what we have to go by. obviously, g.m. doesn't get their owners manuals correct sometimes, i have run accross misinformation before, but usually they send out a supplement.
have a great day....it's friday!