PDA

View Full Version : This Duramax 6600 area is boring for us Powerstroke owners!

additive
05-09-2002, 12:54
Being a powerstroke owner (and a 6.5L owner), this duramax area is way boring! It is boring because there are not nearly enough complaints of low power, overheating, injection pumps going out, cackle, idle knocking, heads melting, engine failures, turbo failures, etc. I am looking for all these problems to make me feel better about my powerstroke purchase and they are hard to find.

I wish all of you would start being brutally honest and tell of "all" the problems these new motors are having. The word on the street and all those I talk to is they are having "some" problems with this motor. They can never tell me who these people are of course.

I'll be watching for all these problems so that I don't get tempted to trade in my powerstroke for a duramax! :D :D

Additive

99 Ford Powerstroke CC
96 Chev 6.5L suburban
94 Chev 6.5L 3/4T X-Cab "For Sale"

GMC D-Max
05-09-2002, 13:07
Sorry to disappoint ya! NOT!!

Yeah, we love our D-Maxes, and with the exception of a few, very rare cases, they are pretty much trouble free!

Pay a visit to your local GM truck dealer and be tempted by the "light" side of the "force"! ;)

Colorado Kid
05-09-2002, 13:13
Well, I'd love to help you out, but I can't think of anything that's gone wrong with mine yet. tongue.gif

Check back in ten years, maybe I'll have some problem by then.

Tader Jack
05-09-2002, 13:24
I hate to disappoint you, but I haven't had any problems yet either. I don't think any vehicle is perfect, but this one has been good so far. It's a little more fun having discussions how to get even more power with black boxes and pipes and trick the Allision into doing things it's not supposed to do.

My brother-in-law has a PS which I drive on occasion. I like the truck, but he's had it in for repairs quite a few times the last two years. After he drove mine, he said that this was the last PS for him. He really loved the Allison tranny with engine braking. You should drive one sometime.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------

RWHP
05-09-2002, 13:24
I will make you feel a little better right now.

My SES light came on the other day, and it gave me a chill up my spine. The thought of taking the truck to the dealer and having a cup of coffee while they update it with new software was unbearable.

You will be sad to know that the coffee turned out to be ok, and they even washed the truck for my troubles. ;)

konacat
05-09-2002, 13:37
I have plenty of complaints about my 2002 2500HD Dmax CC/LB. The interior components are not that great. The instrumentation from and dash could be from any past era. Cruise control on the turn signal lever-Give me a break. The seats are not very comfortable. On top of all that, my dealer told me to be careful not to push too hard on the hood when I close it or I could dent the hood. How’s that for a HD truck? What I bought the truck for was for power, mechanical components, towing, Allison tranny, and hopefully longevity. So far these items have exceeded my expectations. After finding out the engine is 403ci I posted the following thought so I must like it.

403 cubic inches! I like it!

What would be cool is if the Beach Boys would record a new version of their song " 409 "
for us. Maybe one of them owns a Duramax? Think about it.

She's real fine my 403
She's real fine my 403
My 403

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
For I knew there would be a time
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
When I would buy a brand new 403
(403, 403)
Giddy up giddy up giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 403
403 ooooo
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up oooo)
(Giddy up giddy up)

When I take her to the track she really shines
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
She always turns in the fastest times
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
My five speed Allison with G80 diff 403
(403, 403, 403, 403)

Giddy up giddy up giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 403
(Giddy up giddy up 403)
Giddy up 40...

Nothing can catch her
Nothing can touch my 403
(403 403 403 403)
Giddy up Dura-max
(403 403 403 403)
Giddy up Dura-max
(403 403 403 403)

Captain Mal
05-09-2002, 13:59
Additive,

Neighbor is selling his PowerStroked'em. 200,000 miles and, except for the cam sensor, the engine runs fine. He just put in his 6th clutch ( YES, that's 6th with a sick-en-ing feeling) and is suing Ford for marketing such a defective product. He just bought a Cummings but seems to love my Duramax.

Another friend (we both tow for a trailer manufacturer) got rid of his Power Stroked 'em because the rear end went kaput twice. His chipped, dual overdrived, large exhausted 'stroke ran the same as my Duramax when we tandom -towed the same trailers to California a few months ago. He thought the extra $5,000 spent on that 'stroker was worth it to keep up with the 'Max .... until the rear end went out again. He had no comment on getting 2 mpg less. He also got a new Cummings and both guys did that for their better towing fuel mileage than the 'Max.

As for my 'Max. I will take the original tires off after next weeks' tow to New Orleans. 60,000 miles is enough for the stock tires. I even washed the K&N so I did have some maintainance to do.

Will also wash the truck with that new detergent ....403 that 403.... ;)

hoot
05-09-2002, 14:30
My cupholder squeeks.

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 14:42
There was that "one" time that my tires were spinning faster than the pavement was moving underneath them. :D

Searay90
05-09-2002, 14:43
I love my truck, but at my first oil change (991 miles) my mostly inaudible "tick", is now a very audible "tick". I completely drained the oil pan and filter housing for 20 minutes, pre filled the new oil filter, put 10 qts of Delvac 1300S in her and fired her up. I watched the oil pressure guage and it took a five count (one thousand one, one thousand two, etc, etc) for the oil pressure guage to move. I don't like that at all!!! on our 2001 Yukon XL with the 5.3, the guage moves almost instantly after pre filling the filter and starting it up.

So I spent 20 minutes under the Duramax with my mechanics stethascope (sp) trying to locate the sound. Well it is coming from the front of the engine up near the harmonic balancer. I did notice that GM must have some knowledge of the issues as the front portion (only) of my oil pan is covered with somem sort of thick black sound abaitment material which looks as if it were put on as an "after thought", not at the engine assembly plant.

Anyway, the tick is not linear with the RPM of the motor, but totally random with no appearent pattern to it.

Can anyone tell me where to oil pump is on this truck? Is it camshaft driven (like on the old 350's), or is it driven directly from the front of the crankshaft (via the crank itself) like on the new generation Vortec Gas Motors (5.3, 5.7 LS1, 6.0)?? The reason I ask is that the 5.7 LS1 I had in my Firebird (same all alum motor as the vette) had some issues with the pressure relief/bypass valve sticking in the open position and starving the engine for oil. GM traced it to an issue with machining at one of thier suppliers, and issued a new part number. But they never admitted to the problem or issued a TSB. As a result, they denied warranty on many engines that locked up as a result of oil starvation and blamed it on the owner. I got a copy of the internal memo that GM put out about the problem and will keep it in my back pocket if something every goes wrong with the oiling system on that car.

Anyway, my point is that if the Duramax uses the same gerotor style pump, and it is driven of the front of the crank, and the pressure relief/bypass valve is part of the oil pump casting (like on the Vortec gas motors), then maybe the noise is being generated by the pressure relief piston popping up and down due to a design or manufacturing defect.

Can someone post a scan of an exploded view of the lower end of the motor from a helms manual or other source.

Also, a diagram showing the oil routing withing the engine would be helpful (ie tracing the oil from the oil pan pick up, to the pump, to the filter, oil cooler, mains, cam, rockers, turbo, etc,and back into the oil pan.) What gets priority oiling in this motor?? the mains or cam bearings??

I need to know why it took 5 seconds to show oil pressure even after I pre-filled my oil filter after changing oil.

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post.

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: Searay90 ]</p>

D-max Man
05-09-2002, 14:56
If you are looking for that kind of stuff try www.ford-diesel.com

DogDays
05-09-2002, 16:34
Hey Hoot
My cup holder squeeks also, maybe there is a recall out in GM land somewhere. Also my windshield gets wet when it rains? Must be defective!!!

Mike :D :D :D

wizkid
05-09-2002, 17:14
Hey, I had a bad AC relay! I had it to the Dealer 5 times, and I even told them what the problem was on my second visit.

And it's almost low on power! It just bearly pulls the Isenhower Tunnel with my Camper and Boat (with the cruize control on) at the speed limit!

I hardly notice these problems when I have company in the car. This diesel is quiet enough to hold a conversation in :D :D :D :D :D

taarciag
05-09-2002, 17:16
Additive,
I'll be honest, my panels rattle when I turn up the volume on my stereo............................................ .................................................. .............. but I think is from running a JL Audio 500/5 to 2 10" Alchemy Alumapro Woofers ;)

Turbo Al
05-09-2002, 17:50
Well, umm, aww, dang, Oh Oh Oh, sorry can't even think of something to makeup that's wrong with the Duramax, at least something everyone would believe! Does the check oil light staying on count?? Naw cluster problem with puter. Hey had to replace the Oh Oh Oh, no, that was on the 6.5. I GOT IT!!!! I had to change the oil tongue.gif If that happens again I going to have to sell this puppy.

Bmacs
05-09-2002, 18:12
I just found a SERIOUS problem with my DMAX. I went out yesterday to check the spark plugs and wires AND THEY WERE GONE!! It's almost like the factory forgot to put them in or something??? You can bet I'm firing off a letter to GM RIGHT NOW - what kind of quality control is that?

All I can say is thank heavens we have an engine made of recycled beer cans, now I know it can even run with missing parts smile.gif

Sorry..... I saw the thread and COULDN'T resist!!

JEBar
05-09-2002, 18:26
Worst problem I've had with my D'max is I can clearly her my wife talking as we are moving down the highway. Wouldn't have have problem with a Ford or Ram. :confused:

SoCalDMAX
05-09-2002, 18:28
Additive,

I feel your pain, buddy. I go over to F-D.com and TDR from time to time just to see how the other half lives.

Hoot and DogDays,

Is this cupholder squeak at normal speeds or during warp drive? I don't think there is a TSB for it, but even so, warp drive isn't covered under the warranty.

To be honest, mine has the steering rattle (very minor), slight tick for the 1st 1,000mi after every oil change (I know, I know - quit changing the oil), and I was really hoping for 23mpg but I guess I'll settle for 16.5mpg in the city.

The paint's a little thin, rims a little narrow, the bed corners need reinforcing and the tranny could be programmed to hold the higher gears better and let the motor work.

There, I feel better letting all of that out!Hopefully this will keep the Ford and Dodge owners from thinking that we're primadonnas who think our trucks are far superior or that we get defensive when told our Dmax engines are engineering nightmares.

Jus DON'T let them find out how we all managed to claim our trucks as dependents with all of the deductions, including child care and health coverage. ;)

And if you're out shredding your tires with the Juice box hooked up and the competition asks "how the he77??" remember, smile and say, "It's bone stock. Really." :D

Regards, Steve

dieselburb
05-09-2002, 19:34
Mine smells funny, ya know, kinda like new upholstery and carpeting. It's the kinda smell that you don't notice with the windows down, but when the AC's on, it's everywhere! And I can't get that s**t eatin' grin off my face for the life of me. What should I do?
I haven't put a cup in my cupholder yet to see if it squeaks. I'll let you know ;)

big dipper
05-09-2002, 20:08
Well guys, not sure that this is a problem YET! When I test drove this truck, I was absolutely shocked as to how nice the ride was, how quick it was for 7k lbs., the estimated mileage, and how well it handled at moderately high speeds and now I keep reading you guys bought your trucks to tow with? Not really sure what to do now! :rolleyes:

TXMAX
05-09-2002, 20:54
Additive,

Sorry to say but I traded off my PSD for my DMAX and I am loving it (ok, except for the payments. The PSD was paid for.). When I first drove it home my wife wanted to know where I was calling her from because she couldn't hear the engine noise and then I went through a drive through and didn't have to shut it down and then I got to drive around with the window down and not find the excess noise to be a pain, and then I got 4 more MPG on the highway when it was brand new then I ever got on my PSD and then I was flying down the road with 12k with tandem trailers without thinking about it and then... OK, I'll stop and I do admit I have the intermitant tick and the idle lopes a bit whne she's cold but don't get me started on the PSD. So take the plunge and try it, you'll like it.
Regards,

Abe

DieselsRule
05-09-2002, 20:57
The only issue I have with mine is it spends more time sitting in the parking lot at work or in the driveway at home than running down the road. Guess I need to do something about that.
:D :D :D :D

SoMnDMAX
05-09-2002, 23:15
My fuel tank leaks down after 375 or more miles, that, and the rear tires seem to lose their tread faster than the front ones. WTF is up with that??? :mad: tongue.gif :rolleyes: :D

No really... Fuel pressure sender failed @ 5,000 or so miles (can't remember the exact figure), a Jiffy Tite cooler line coupler was replaced on the Allison @ about 2500 miles (dripped on the driveway), and the various computer reflashes to fix early truck (built 11-00) software glitches. I did have the tick for the first 6 or 7,000 miles, but that's gone now too...

19,060 miles since Feb 2001, and I couldn't be happier!!! Good job, GM!!! :D

hoot
05-10-2002, 05:04
Overall GM ain't doin too shabby in the pickup segment. They just announced an increase in truck production by 100,000 units a year.

http://www.auto.com/targetnews/articles/Automotive/05_09_2002.reuff-story-bcautosgmjobs.html

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

MudNurI
05-10-2002, 05:37
The only "real" problem I can find with our truck is that John takes it to work with him Mon-Fri, and I only get it 2 days a week...Other than that the truck overall is wonderful...

now for the real garb-
steering rattle- fixing it on Monday-
rear seat belts inop- fixing it on Monday
some leak at Hydro booster- fixing it on Monday-

She has 25,542 miles on her delivered 10-30-01...guess we like it..5108.4 miles per month, 170 miles a day- yup we like it.

Brandy tongue.gif

Allison Jettester
05-10-2002, 06:44
Ok, I'll have to admit it. The b--er--cup holders in the back are all way too shallow--can't take off without the b--er--soda cans flying out of em.

Also, she gets dirty--don't think she should get dirty. Put that PTFE stuff on 'er and she still gets dirty. Maybe I'll try that MT10 stuff on 'er--or maybe she just does it on purpose so I'll haveta rub 'er all over (Maybe Konacat can mod the words to that song to fit the Dmax).

I do love to rub her all over! But like driving her best.

Cheers,
Joe

2002 GMC 2500HD FLAME RED! EC LB D\A
21 mpg highway
17.9 mpg combined
16 mpg city

MNBowTie
05-10-2002, 12:04
Additive,

Thanks, for trying to start something, but nothing to really start. For me nothing to really B**ch and moan about, so far, as for the dealer tech. different story. I just keep :D every time I jump behind the wheel.

Searay90:

Next oil change, switch to Quaker State 4x4 15-40 semi-synthetic blend ($2.24 qt. at Wall fart). You should notice a reduction of the tic noise.

pontiac_m18
05-10-2002, 20:44
ADDITIVE, after 24k miles I have that same problem that newly weds have!! I can't seem to get that mile off my face. It's like the time you remember how your mother in law always complains about how bad & useless you are & then you have to take her DAUGHTER to bed afterwards, THE SMILE SEEMS TO GROW BIGGER!! Same thing happens when you get near a F**D OR d****!! Howard :D :D :D

PJD15X
05-10-2002, 21:17
Searay:
You must be some kind of magician, please let us in on how you "fill" your oil filter and screw it on without spilling the oil all over the place.
On my 02, it sits strait out from the rear of the block, which makes it impossible to fill it with oil and to expect it to screw on without losing most of the oil. Could it be that you have a different filter arrangement on yours?

gregmican
05-10-2002, 22:14
My D-Max runs like a bat out of hell and no problems at all. This is the best truck I have ever owned, period. Wanna run em' ?? :cool:

INDI-GO
05-10-2002, 22:35
Mine has a problem. Is a year old and has 11,000 carfree smiles on it. What am I doing wrong?

Turbo Al
05-11-2002, 17:06
I found the biggest problem ever today -- :eek: 100 extra HP :eek: to the rear wheels on the dyno and hence the problem --- way too many smiling CHEVY faces for the Ford and Dodge guys to stand.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

NEW2DMAX
05-11-2002, 22:23
The only think I can find to complain about is I have to drive a new 2002 powerstroke which is my company truck and Ford wont even address the lack of power issue, they actually blamed it on the tool boxes and the wieght of all the tools, GIVE ME A BREAK. SURE GLAD I GOT A CHEVY DMAX!!!!! tongue.gif

TBC
05-12-2002, 18:23
I have no complaints about my DMax except that like most everyone else we don't get to drive them enough. Things like ah! work get in the way. I have had Chevy's for years and they were good trucks but this one has been the absolute best one. When you step on the accelerator you better be in control of the vehicle. I had a 1959 Ford with a TBird engine years ago that I thought was a great drag car but this truck would put it to shame.

I had a fuel leak at a little less than 2000 miles and the tranny reprogrammed to fix the busy shifting problem but this truck has been trouble free.

A minor problem occurs however when Ford's and Dodges pull along site at a traffic light (only place they can do so) I have to roll my window up to hear the stereo.

Magnificient trucks. Eat your heart out Ford and Dodge owners. Go drive one and you to will not be able to do without one.

Alli-max
05-12-2002, 22:56
Problems in the first 60,000 miles (had it for 1 year and 2 weeks now):

SES came on at about 10,000 miles. Some solonoid went out on the Allison, and sent her into limp mode. It came off limp mode the next morning. after the solonoid fix, it was fine (basically a &lt;1 hour fix, AND new tranny juice for free smile.gif )

The stock tire size is a joke. Get new shoes.

BAD design on the visors.

ABSOLUTELY horrible towing mirrors (nice job Ford).

radio is terrible. Get an aftermarket head unit ASAP!

Other than that, all is well. Drivetrain is doing great. Isnt that what it is pretty much all about though? :D :D

Lone Eagle
05-12-2002, 22:56
PJD15X, I didn't beleave it could be done either but so many said they did it. If you notice when you fill the filter the oil that could run out is in the center of the filter where the female threads are. Leave the level down about a 1/4", get the filter as close as possible to the stud and with a quick flick of the the wrist screw it on. You will loose very little if any. Later! Lone Eagle :D

Heartbeat Hauler
05-13-2002, 08:42
Additive? Oh Additive? You still there? tongue.gif

Searay90
05-13-2002, 09:49
PJD15X

Just like Lone Eagle said above, Fill the filter to the bottom of the center hole, let the oil fully soak into the media and keep topping it off until the oil level stays at the top. Then hold it straight up and down until you are ready to mate it up to the filter housing. Quickly screw it on and you might lose 1/2 oz of oil at the most.

Remember these filters have an anti-drain back valve which prevents oil from coming out of the 5 holes around the center mounting hole. The only place Oil can come out of the fiter when you mount it up is the center hole. As soon as you put the filter up and engage a couple of threads, you have effectively sealed off the filter and very little oil will escape.

If my tick goes away within 1000 miles of this oil change (as others have said), then on my next oil change I am going to try something different when changeing the filter. On my first Oil change (991 miles), I removed the filter and let oil drain out of the filter mount for about 20 minutes. There was alot of oil that drained out of the filter housing for about 5 minutes (small steady stream).

Anyway, my thought is that maybe this oil that came out of the filter housing for 5 minutes is oil from the pump, main galleys, lifter/cam, and all the oil supply passages within the motor.

So next time, I am going to have my new filter primed and ready to install before I remove the old filter. Then I will quickly install the new filter immediately after removing the old one. Yes it will cause a small amount of dirty oil to remain in the engine, but maybe it won't take a five count to get oil pressure back up in the motor this way.

If the tick is being caused by air trapped in the oil system (which I do not really believe), then this "quick change" will keep the oil passages from draining down. If the tick does not come back, then I will have found the cause. If not, then I will keep trying to locate the source.

Back to my original request. Does anyone have the helms manuals that show the flow of oil in th e system. Detailed breakout of the oil pump. (looking for location, design, check valves, relief/bypass valve (and pressure settings)), etc.

Also looking for diagram of the lower end.

Thanks, :cool:

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: Searay90 ]

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: Searay90 ]</p>

Redhawk
05-13-2002, 11:15
I have about 25000 miles on my D/A so far, about 10,000 towing my fiver and so far haven't had any troubles. I love the truck and wouldn't go back to my Y2K PSD for anything. Especially since we went through three trannys in 15,000 miles and my wife refused to get back in it. I did like the fit and finish and the engine itself, but Ford's rotten attitude and the three trannys were too much to take after 50 years of owning Fords.

TBC
05-13-2002, 19:48
Searay90
According to a write-in and response in Trailer Life magazine the tick is the oil pressure relief valve. Mine went away within 2000 miles after I got it. That seems to be the case with everyone else also. I have read a couple of websites and that seems to be the pattern.

PJD15X
05-13-2002, 20:57
Searay:

I stand corrected. Just goes to show you, You can learn something new every day.

Next time I change my oil and filter, I will try your recommendation on filling the filter and hopefully I can put it on without losing too much oil.

Thanks for the info, Searay & Lone Eagle

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-18-2002, 20:39
Just my .02,

I have had a lot of problems with my 2002 GMC, for instance.....

First - My wife doesn't hear it start up at 6:00am for work.
Second - My neighbors can't hear me drive down the street when I leave.
Third - It has more power than I need now, and that's before I "JUICE" it.
Fourth - I can't get used to how nice a 5 speed automatic shifts after having 4 speed auto's in my old GMC trucks.
Fifth - I love to have people ask me how is my gas mileage and then tell them not that good, it's only 18-20 mpg!!!!
Sixth - I don't like not having to scrape my windows or mirrors when it's cold ( Heated mirrors and rear defogger!!!). I don't get as much exercise.
Seventh - Having to wonder if the tile store really loaded 3000 lbs of tile in the bed or if he was kidding me!!!
Eighth - Having four wheel disk brakes and actually being able to stop with a load, gotta love it!!
Ninth - That independent front suspension sure makes a truck ride smooth as could be.
Tenth - Not having to spend money on a louder stereo just so I can hear it over my engine.

I could go on, but everyone get's the point, I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!

My best man when I got married is a Ford Truck Saleman, he had offered me a deal on a Ford PS, had to turn him down!! Told him I value our friendship too much!!!!!

GMC :D

additive
05-19-2002, 21:59
I finallly got to tow a few miles with my powerstroke and am pretty happy with it. However, I am patiently waiting for the right deal on a used Duramax in a year or so. The Ford is too lound and "rough" riding for my taste. However, it is nice towing with the a/c on and doing the speed limit up most hills.

My neighbor just bought a new dually duramax. He had a Dodge for the past few years to tow his trailer loaded with footing and foundation forms. I'll be closely monitoring his success with the truck. I re-assured him he made the right choice and that there has been very little trouble reported with the D/A combo.