PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to hear the TICK!

dieselburb
05-09-2002, 19:24
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Just brought it home today. DAMN! Been talkin' about gettin' an '03 but just couldn't wait, and there she is, complete with everything I could ever want. I hope they don't come out with something better than this in the next 5 years because I promised the wife... smile.gif smile.gif Hey Mr. Kennedy, does Baldwin make the trans and fuel filters yet? Also, which Racor element are you guys using? I own a fuel dock and do lots of marine diesel service and we just recently got pitched a new product called Algae-X which is an inline magnet in the fuel line. We're testing it now, but other than their book of clients and the manufacturer's claims, I haven't talked to anyone that's run them on heavy or nominal use equipment without the company endorsement. Have any of you used them? I'll let you know how our test engines do (Twin DD 6-71TI's in the same boat, one engine equipped, the other without, and a single Volvo Penta 60 series TI know for its James Bond-esq smoking abilities) and then I'll put one on my truck.... smile.gif smile.gif

NutNbutGMC
05-09-2002, 20:58
^....Can't wait to hear you gripe about the tick as soon as you hear it. :D

srubrn
05-09-2002, 21:55
Dieselburb,

I forgot where I read it but the inline magnets are a crock. It is just snake oil that doesn't work. Had one myself, didn't do anything.

Funny I don't have the tick yet either, I got 10k on my truck.

dieselburb
05-09-2002, 22:10
Thanks srubrn, I'm pretty sure of it myself and we get to see a lot of snake oil crap, but the company was willing to put up the merchandise and we're doing the fuel analysis. Who knows? Anyway, it ain't on my dime. Where'd I put my keys to that new truck??? Gotta go check the mailbox again...

george morrison
05-13-2002, 19:18
Okay, just what is this snap/tick?? Mine is doing it at idle; a very clear snapping type sound...
Has 3,000 miles on now..

TBC
05-13-2002, 19:32
Mine had also but with 10,000+ I don't hear it any more. It was more of nusiance. Trailer Life mag said it is the oil pressure relief valve. From reading all the websites most seem to have it early on but eventually goes away and I don't remember reading of a failure related to it. In fact the engine has been almost flawless from what I have read. The tranny has had a few problems but none that are not fixable and nobody that I have heard about got rid of the truck for a tranny problem either. The read of one for sale because of a divorce but that is it. You will love this truck.

kerry witherspoon
05-13-2002, 21:12
had the tick first oilchange gone the second ,towws like hell on wheels passed doge 1 ton at 140 kmp ****ed him off love it.

george morrison
05-14-2002, 06:43
Thanks so much for the 'tick' update.. I became concerned in that I just took my 6.5TD in for a major anti-freeze internal leak with 60,000 miles on the engine and got a $6700 estimate for repair!! (they wanted to replace the complete fuel system due to corrosion!) Kinda got nervous with this possible 'ticking time bomb'..
George

alamovet
05-14-2002, 07:46
I have the "tick" at every oil change, but it seems to go away anywhere from 1600-2400 miles after the oil is changed. Currently running Amsoil 5-30 HD Diesel, but have run 15-40. Oh, I'm also using the dual remote by-pass filtration system now, and there has been no difference with the "tick," before and after by-pass installation.

Where is the "oil pressure relief valve"...in the filter? If so, then my experience would discredit this explanation for the tick (i.e. no OEM oil filter).

Oil analysis has not indicated significant levels of wear metals at any oil change smile.gif smile.gif

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]</p>

TBC
05-14-2002, 19:03
Alamovet
There is a valve in the filter but the one they are talking about is (depending on design) in the pump or adjacent to the pump in an oil port. If I were you I would check the owners manual for the correct oil. I believe it is 15W40.

dieselburb
05-14-2002, 19:18
DAMMIT! I think... tap...tick, tick..tap..tick,tick,tick... I think, but it isn't too loud. And right at about 150 miles :rolleyes: . Anyways, this friggin' thing screams :eek: ! Going to tow my really fast boat next week and I don't expect to see the crap that my 6.2 used to put on the hull. Any of you guys going to be in Laughlin next week? Look for me towing my boat named "Blue Balls" :D then check out the custom plates. I swear, my wife has tried everything to get this stupid smile off my face and she still laughs at me every day when I come home from work so happy. This truck is AMAZING even stock. "Ah tippity, tap-tap a roo..."