PDA

View Full Version : Device for reading codes

sjd_sd
07-29-2005, 09:37
I have a 2002 Duramax, 6spd w/ 83K on it. I keep getting an intermittant SES that's usually triggered by hard acceleration or climbing hills. The dealer tells me that it can get quite expensive to find the problem if the light doesn't stay on. Question: Which aftermarket devices are recommended so I can plug in and read the code while the light is on? Where do I get one?

Thanks

More Power
07-29-2005, 10:26
Welcome to the BB!

Most codes that set the SES remain in history, even if the light goes out at the next ignition cycle.

Likely possibilities for the codes you're getting are either a MAF or over boost code.

The available Power Programmers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/programmers.htm) are also able to read codes.

In addition, many Autozone stores will read codes for their customers.

Jim

sjd_sd
08-01-2005, 11:56
Thanks for the quick and informative response. How does GM feel about plugging these programmers in? Does it effect the warranty? In the meantime, things look worse in my engine compartment. I went on a long trip this weekend and toward the end, my oil pressure was trending lower. The oil level looks high on the dipstick and the oil feels thin. Do I have the dreaded injector failure?

Thanks,

SD

More Power
08-01-2005, 12:53
Two of the most often used methods to determine whether fuel is contaminating your engine oil is 1- by smelling it or 2- place a drop of oil on a clean white paper towel. Oil contaminated with diesel fuel will produce two concentric rings - one darker than the other.

Engine oil analysis can provide a definitive answer, but the process takes time.

Adding power with an aftermarket programmer can affect your engine/drivetrain warranty. Do a search in this forum for the keyword "Magnuson-Moss" to learn more.

Jim

madmatt
08-03-2005, 17:37
I just bought a Matco Pro Scan Plus and love it for code and data reading. It's small, quick and inexpensive ($1000) compared to my Snap-on MTG2500 graphing scanner ($3600) or my Tech 2 ($2500ish I think). the datastreams read a lot like the tech 2 and it's quicker to get started and cheaper to update then the snap on. It won't do as much as my others but is great for the money and all most people would ever use or need.