PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure while towing heavy

DmaxProf
07-30-2005, 14:35
Just returned from a 3000 mile round trip across Missouri, Kansas, and half of Colorado. I was pulling a 12K 5th wheel with a lot of frontal area (I was pushing a lot of air). I noticed that going down the interstate bucking about a 30 mph headwind and climbing various inclines that my oil pressure was indicating about 45-52 psi. The rpm was about 1800-1900, the speed was about 55 mph, and the EGT gauge was climbing to about 1200-1250. At that point, I locked out the OD which caused the rpm to rise to about 2500 or so, the EGT to drop back to around 1000-1100, and the oil pressure rose to about 60 psi. Whenever I locked out the OD, the oil pressure would rise to about 60 psi and stay there until I re-engaged the overdrive, at which point it would drop back to about 45-52 psi (the gauge is kind of hard to read).

Subsequently, I noticed that whenever the engine was working the hardest, i.e., EGT and boost increasing to produce power to climb a grade or to fight a headwind, that the oil pressure tended to decrease to about 45-52 psi. It seems to me that my truck used to hold about 60 psi no matter what I did or what demands were made on the engine. But maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. It scared the daylights out of me when I first noticed the oil pressure reading what appeard to be abnormally low.

Once I arrived at Colorado I noticed that the oil pressure at idle was about 15 psi. I don't think I ever saw that low an oil pressure reading before. I took the truck to a dealer who informed that everything was in specs and that there was no problem with the oil pressure gauge, the sensor, or the oil pressure system.

By the way, the truck did not use any oil and the oil only had about 1000 miles of use since its last change. I am using the OEM oil filter which also was replaced at the last oil change. When the engine was started and was cold, the oil pressure reading was around 60 psi. There was no decrease in the reading unless the engine was really warm and under load.

The truck is stock except for an EGT gauge, a boost gauge, and an Edge EZ set on level 2. I monitored EGT temps to make sure that I did not exceed 1250 while towing. The truck is running great and pulled like a champ over some 6% grades, so there has been no deteriation in performance. For one stretch of the trip I unplugged the EZ to see if running stock would make any difference in the oil pressure readings. It didn't. I saw the same readings.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does this seem like normal operating behavior? Does the oil pressure typically decrease when the engine is under heavy load? Do I have a problem, or should I just relax since the truck is running great other than the oil pressure readings?

jlwest63
07-30-2005, 14:58
I know that oil pressure is directly related to the RPM's of the motor, not what kind of load it has. The higher the RPM,s the more pressure.

sdaver
07-30-2005, 15:32
egts over 1200 degrees over 6 to 8 seconds I see a 10 psi drop in oil pressure...........so have others

mark45678
08-05-2005, 14:49
I have even lower oil pressure, I run 5/40 syn in my duramax for the last 20K no problems! just got back from pulling my 30' 7700 lb camper 1300 miles in 95* heat , my oil pressure is 45~48 lbs at 65 mph at best...... Juice set on 2 egt limit set to 1400* cruise on 65 mph every hill ! egt heald steady around 1330 on hills over a mile long. stock thest trucks pull EGT right at 1400* f so dont give it a second thought! juice starts to back off about 30* before the set point. I know ther is a few lbs differnt from my set up to yours but if you can pull hills in OD with out falling below 1800 rpm leave it in OD your fuel economy will be much better , these truck work better if you run them at 65 mph towing they are more in the power band where they work best! 2100 rpm is where the sweet spot is for pulling with a stock motor / stock exhaust with juice on 2.