PDA

View Full Version : bilsteins on the hd

matt-max
05-10-2002, 14:13
i put a set of bilstein shocks on my 01 2500hd 4x4 sb ext cab tuesday. the rear stocker shockers had no valving left at all at 39k.

the bilsteins are great and provide way more control while towing and also just racing around empty.

if you are considering new shocks, give 'en a try. i think they cost about $230 with shipping and i put them on in about an hour or so.

matt

bora
05-11-2002, 15:23
I have been debating about doing the same. How difficult is it to replace the fronts? The rears look like you can do it without even jacking up the car?

What are the part nos?

My truck has 1100 miles on it and I feel like unloaded the rear end loses traction very easily on bumps. Not enough rebound damping on the stock shocks.

matt-max
05-11-2002, 15:51
NOT A BIG JOB AT ALL. I jacked up the front pulled the front wheels and changed the front shocks using a jackstand on the frame and a jack on the lower a-arm. hardest part was getting the wheels on and off. yuo can probably do it without pulling the wheels but i wanted to have a peak at the brakes anyway.

the rears can be done without jacking.

ride and handling are much improved.

matt-max
05-11-2002, 15:55
also the rear axle hop seems to be gone or at least much diminished...like you said, no rebound damping in the stockers.

part numbers are bstbe5-6082 rear and 6081 front from shockwarehouse.com, $55 each

these might not be the bilstein part numbers...hit the bilstein website and you can get the actual part numbers if need be

bora
05-12-2002, 22:06
Thanks

Do the shocks come with all hardware, or did you reuse the hardware (nuts,bolts etc) from the old shocks.

Man, I feel guilty changing shocks on a truck with 1100 miles.

Bora

Kennedy
05-14-2002, 00:44
I put the fronts on, but have been told, and believe that the CURRENT release of valving specs has not yet hit the US, and will not for a couple of weeks. What I am told is that there may be some first release rears out there, but none of the currents.

I would suggest confirming this with Bilstein tech prior to ordering. I have a set on order as soon as they arrive in the states, as I pretty much killed my stockers on the nearly 2,000 mile drive to RIV with 3,000# in the bed :eek:

BradL
05-14-2002, 06:41
I talked to my local Autozone manager yesterday, who talked to his Bilstein contact in California, and was told that the new valving rear shocks would not be in until the first of July.

I replaced my fronts three weeks ago - they were totally shot at 27,000 miles - and my rear shocks are no doubt the same as evidenced by my loose teeth!

RichBailey
05-14-2002, 08:24
I ordered a pair of shocks for the front from eshocks and just installed over the weekend. After putting on a couple hundred miles, the results are that the ride is better controlled over washboard and rough surfaces.

Installing them is easy, about 5 minutes per side if you have an airwrench. Don't need to jack up truck on 4x4, you can remove shocks through the wheelwell without removing tire.

One item to note. After looking at the Bilstein bushings and hardware I noticed that stock were much better. The stock bushings have a metal sleeve and nylon centering bushing as well as larger and thicker metal washers. So I reused all the stock hardware except for the Bilstein supplied locknut.