PDA

View Full Version : 02 Duramax dead battery, now won't start

Troy
07-31-2005, 20:25
Went out the other morning and the truck would not turn over. Tried each battery seperatly to determine if both batteries were dead. Passanger side would not turn over the truck, drivers side would turn over the engine slowly. Decided to replace both batteries and now the engine turns over just like new but it still wont start. The batteries were disconnected for 3 days. Is there something else that would cause the truck not to start? Could the dead battery damage the PCM or ??? Is it possible that the fuel pump lost prime? Any sugestions on what else to check?

2002 6.6LTD
Factoy stock

Jim Brzozowski
08-01-2005, 08:37
If you didn't hook up the new batteries correctly without a spark, you may have fried one or more of the computers. I'd suggest disconnecting both ground wires from the batteries, then be sure you have good connections at the positive terminals by checking with a volt meter, then reconnecting the negitabe cables and hope everything reboots. I'd also lock the doors with your remote and then unlock them with the remote, that resets the computer. It may have disabled the fuel because of the anit-theft. Resetting that with the cycle of the remote may just do the trick.

Troy
08-01-2005, 19:48
T O P I C R E V I E W
Troy
Member # 210 posted 07-31-2005 10:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Went out the other morning and the truck would not turn over. Tried each battery seperatly to determine if both batteries were dead. Passanger side would not turn over the truck, drivers side would turn over the engine slowly. Decided to replace both batteries and now the engine turns over just like new but it still wont start. The batteries were disconnected for 3 days. Is there something else that would cause the truck not to start? Could the dead battery damage the PCM or ??? Is it possible that the fuel pump lost prime? Any sugestions on what else to check?

2002 6.6LTD
Factoy stock

SoTxPollock,

The batteries were hooked up correctly with good connections. I already verified that the voltage is correct. I tried the disconnect and reconnect with 15 min of no power. I tried the lock/unlock yesterday. I have not had a chance to check the fuel prime yet but I doubt that is the problem. Is it possible that something (computer, heater intake relay, glow plug relay, ???) went out and damaged the batteries? Any suggestions?

Kennedy
08-02-2005, 04:51
I guess I would start with the simple like bleeding the filter and pump the primer up hard.

Is the security light on the dash on?

Troy
08-02-2005, 20:57
No the security light is not on. I have tried the lock/unlock trick several times. I tried to bleed the filter and pumped the primer until it was very difficult to pump. The engine turns over fine but doesn't try to start. It doesn't appear to be getting fuel - just cranks. I'm not sure what else to try. Any other suggestions or is it time to have it towed to the dealer?

Kennedy
08-03-2005, 04:24
I'd then suggest going through the fuse panel(s) one at a time and check them out. Particularly ECM and INJ fuses.

If you can get a scan tool like a Tech 2 would be helpful. DiabloPredator may suffice. Fuel rail psi during cranking will be of particular interest.

Troy
08-03-2005, 20:30
JK,

Thanks for the help. I got it running tonight. I re-read what you said about the security light and checked again. The light did come on about 10 seconds after I stopped cranking the engine. I searched the DP forum and found this post from???

Troy
08-05-2005, 07:09
What else does this procedure reset? Does the engine or transmision go thru a complete re-learn process?

Kennedy
08-05-2005, 13:09
You only reset the VTD learn. It probably got confused during the brown out with the old batteries and thought it was mismatched.

The only way to do this is the manual way, or with a Tech 2. With a Tech 2 it takes one 10 minute learn cycle after you initiate the learn.

The Predator does have some nice features like diagnostics, but cannot be used (practically) to monitor when driving.

The Edge Juice/Attitude will monitor the areas that you mentioned and provide an awesome boost in towing performance.

Troy
08-05-2005, 20:40
Will the DiabloPredator for the LB7 read the diagnostic codes on any GM ODBII engine? Specifically my wifes 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3L gasser?

[ 08-05-2005, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Troy ]

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2005, 23:20
Originally posted by Troy:
Will the DiabloPredator for the LB7 read the diagnostic codes on any GM ODBII engine? Specifically my wifes 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3L gasser? It will read many, but not all. Vehicle specific codes that are not included in your programming will come up as an unknown code, but will often at least give you the number. It works on other OBDII makes as well, but you only get numbers. Try it. You won't hurt anything unless you try to upload something.