View Full Version : 360hp 2006 Duramax

mcmonroe
08-01-2005, 14:35
Saw this on the Trailerlife forum:

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15951036.cfm

Mark

OC_DMAX
08-01-2005, 14:54
Wonder why GM waits until the October, 2005 timeframe to raise the HP level. Seems odd.

Anyone wanting to buy a 2006 should wait until the LBZ model is introduced. Of course those that do not participate in these forums would not know and most salespeople are clueless (nor if they knew would mention it to anyone).

Also, kind of odd to be investing a lot of money upgrading the GMT-800 platform with these engine mods when in the very near future, the GMT-900 platform will be with us. Do they have a strategy? It is not obvious to me.

[ 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]

SnowBandit
08-01-2005, 15:56
I am in the process of ordering an 06 right now. I was thinking of holding off but the extra HP and Tourge are not that big of a deal for me. The new computer has me worried as I don't want to be one of the first to try it out. Seen way to many problems with first year stuff. I am thinking of ordering the LLY and getting rid of my PITA 2002 2500hd

OC_DMAX
08-01-2005, 16:39
I would not be too concerned about a new computer. The 2004.5 LLY had a new computer and there was no real HW trouble. Now the software running in the computer is another issue. But GM seems to update it several times within the first year. A note: if I read the above article correctly, all 2006's come with the new computer.

OC_DMAX
08-01-2005, 17:16
Here are the actual press releases if anyone is interested. The links include the DMAX engine as well as the Allison trans,

DMAX

http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=12&docid=16955

Allison

http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=12&docid=16956

Also, a PDF file from Allison on the trans:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA4115EN.pdf

iljusin
08-01-2005, 21:18
Good info. I was hoping for the different gear ratios for Allison.

mcmonroe
08-02-2005, 13:58
The big question in my mind is how extensive will Torque Management via the computer be? Are they going to actually make all 350hp available in all gears or will it be limited to one or two gears and perhaps even certain RPM's then?

Mark

More Power
08-02-2005, 14:34
Additional info about the new engine(s) sourced by JK. smile.gif

</font> Increased coolant flow through the heads/block, larger radiator, and a modified fan shroud. A ringed coolant fan is now ECM controlled by an electro-viscous clutch.</font> Larger external transmission cooler.</font> Larger quick-disconnect lower radiator hose and quick-disconnect intercooler hose connections.</font> Larger EGR cooler.</font> Second Intake air temp sensor to monitor IAH and also for fuel timing strategy based on actual air temp going in engine.</font> Many added and/or enhanced Diagnostic Trouble Codes.</font> Maximum fuel rail pressure increased to 26,000 psi. High pressure relief valve relocated to left fuel rail. High pressure relief valve will not completely close once it has opened and will require an engine restart to resume full pressure again.</font> Faster 32 bit ECM will support up to 5 injection pulses per combustion event.</font> Elimination of the fuel cooler and FICM. FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) functions are built into the Bosch ECM</font> Eliminating fuel cooling for the injector solenoid driver electronics. LB7 injectors were operated using 92 volts, current LLY's are 48 volts, the new LLY(LBZ) will be 24 volts. Assuming less amperage is used, power required to fire the injectors will be lower.</font> New glow plug controller (GPCM)</font> All injectors are flow tested and laser etched with this data. A bar code reader tracks this data as the engine is built. Each injector location in each engine is then entered into a database. This information is programmed into both the ECM and GPCM are part of the programming process. Apparently injector tracking is becoming more important.</font> Vans will use a lift pump/filter combination running at 40 psi. They still use what appears to be a typical fuel filter, but the housing was missing a manual priming pump.</font> Vans also get a fuel fired coolant heater option.</font>
MP

SLT556
08-02-2005, 15:41
I wish I had waited one more year. I'm planning on getting a new truck in 07. I suppose once I do that, the following model year will have 1500HP rocket engine.

Kennedy
08-02-2005, 16:31
Has me thinking of trading my '05 this winter. Depends what the new body looks like for 07 if it changes...

OC_DMAX
08-03-2005, 10:34
Has me thinking of trading my '05 this winter. Depends what the new body looks like for 07 if it changes...

Exactly,,,,,,, will GM mess-up the design of the GMT-900 trucks? It seems to be a 50/50 chance with the GM design crew.

I'd prefer to wait and get a new truck that will be "look new" for 5+ years (instead of a 2006 model that looks old after one year). The only question is will I be able stand the design (body) of the 2007 truck?

LanduytG
08-03-2005, 14:48
Just wait till 2009. These are small numbers compared to what we will see then.

Greg

kdub
08-03-2005, 14:50
OK Greg... I'll bite. What happens in 2009?

hd90rider
08-03-2005, 16:58
NOTHING!!!!! He's smokin wacky tobacky :D ;)

LanduytG
08-03-2005, 17:43
I just happen to be related to and Allison engineer that just happens to be working on the 1000 development team. Lets just say that 360 is not that much and the torque will be way up their. They are using a truck loaded with Banks stuff to get the power they need to develope the trans.

Greg

mhagie
08-03-2005, 17:54
Why load a truck with Banks stuff all they had to do was call Kennedy. :D

madmatt
08-03-2005, 18:13
Hey Greg, do you know a Dentist from Greenfield named Phil Mirise?

JD Diesel
08-03-2005, 21:45
Hay can I get some of that wacky tabacy? JD ;)

LanduytG
08-04-2005, 01:58
Hey Greg, do you know a Dentist from Greenfield named Phil Mirise? Know I can't say that I do. I have been going to mine since we moved here in 1986.

Greg

GaDixie
08-04-2005, 06:18
Originally posted by LanduytG:
Just wait till 2009. These are small numbers compared to what we will see then.

Greg 2009 is a long time to wait. There's always something bigger and better down the road. If you waited for every improvement to come out the next year, you'd be driving a '56 Chevy (not that that's bad now!)! Or maybe a Model T. My point is, I love seeing new trucks and improvements, but I won't hold my breath for them. Remember, we should have flying cars by now! ;)

radrecon69
08-04-2005, 23:32
I was sitting at my trailer repair guy the other day and was reading one of trade magazines and it had an artical that Toyota was going to have a 400hp 700 torque diesel dually ready to introduce in late 06 early 07 wonder if GM is trying to stay ahead of the game with the introduction of that LBZ Duramax ?

Rick

GaDixie
08-05-2005, 06:33
Originally posted by radrecon69:
I was sitting at my trailer repair guy the other day and was reading one of trade magazines and it had an artical that Toyota was going to have a 400hp 700 torque diesel dually ready to introduce in late 06 early 07 wonder if GM is trying to stay ahead of the game with the introduction of that LBZ Duramax ?

Rick You're kidding me? Was it designed in-house by Toyota? I just can't see them able to do something like that. And it must have one hell of a transmission!

radrecon69
08-08-2005, 13:44
It is going to be built down in Texas and they are going to offer a Automatic and a 6 speed standard. The trailer repair gut told me they are using a Toyota Diesel that they have had around for several years, they where supposed to be popular in Europe BUT I don't remember ever seeing a Toyota big rig. Only thing I have seen is a Toyota Land rover with a diesel in it and I believe it was a Puegot engine????

Rick

GaDixie
08-08-2005, 19:22
Originally posted by radrecon69:
It is going to be built down in Texas and they are going to offer a Automatic and a 6 speed standard. The trailer repair gut told me they are using a Toyota Diesel that they have had around for several years, they where supposed to be popular in Europe BUT I don't remember ever seeing a Toyota big rig. Only thing I have seen is a Toyota Land rover with a diesel in it and I believe it was a Puegot engine????

Rick Yeah, I've never seen a big Toyota either, in real life or pictures. The largest I've seen are those box trucks that are basically light-duty trucks and all of those were gassers.

Marty Lau
08-11-2005, 13:01
"Puegot engine"

I had one of those in a 504 car was nice engine made like 56 hp and got 45 mpg the problem was PARTS flippen Puegot pulled out of the USA and parts were a pain, I could not get a glow plug controller that didn't burn out glow plugs. (new improved model) :rolleyes:

So I will never, ever own a car or truck or engine made by the French. To quote Click and Clack only the French deserve to own French made vehicals.

rjschoolcraft
08-12-2005, 09:06
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
So I will never, ever own a car or truck or engine made by the French. To quote Click and Clack only the French deserve to own French made vehicals. Same for their Michelin tires, if you ask me...