PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust gas recirc question

AndyG
08-02-2005, 11:38
What is all the fuss about the EGR on LLY engines? I traced the intake air flow path and unless I am crazy, the exhaust gas is not introduced until just before the air goes into the top of the engine and into the combustion chambers. Not through the turbo, not through the intercooler etc. So...what is the big deal? Why unplug the EGR valve or install a finger stick or I saw where someone installed a block plate. I must be missing something. Could someone please explain this to me?

Jake99Z71
08-02-2005, 16:00
After 20K miles look at the intake manifold. If you go over to the VW TDI site and look at what their intakes look like. You will change your mind. Basically the intake clogs up like your arteries from cholesterol. Slowly closing in on itself till the air flow is not adequate to support complete combustion.

SnowBandit
08-02-2005, 18:57
Is there anyway to clean out the junk once its in there?

AndyG
08-03-2005, 07:24
How about a link to the VW TDI site you mention?
What is the "right" way to disable EGR without throwing codes, etc?

Jake99Z71
08-03-2005, 15:51
VW Forum (http://tdiclub.com/)
On the VW site they talk about cleaning the intake.

Most have installed a stainless steel plate before the EGR Cooler. On North East and California Emissions vehicles this will set a check engine light. Federal Emissions will just store a code. So to stop this from happen people have installed a finger stick.

Rick Malone
08-04-2005, 07:24
Iam new to the Duramax and iam a EX powerstroker so bear w/me there is somewhat of a learning curve. What is the best way to block off or do away with the egr and is this a must do when you kill the cat to go with a larger exhaust and or just a must do. I have looked at RPM's web site and they say its a must to block it off if you upgrade to a new exhaust w/out a cat. Man i Love my new trk. it will fly and pulls great.