PDA

View Full Version : First Trailer Tow

Dawg
05-13-2002, 15:30
My truck has 7700 miles on it. No mods other than 265's. Towed my 5000+lb trailer for the first time. Went over 3 passes, 1300', 3000' and 4000'. Same on the return trip. Truck worked like a champ. Stayed in OD until the hills really started getting steep, then the Alli downshifted into 4th and the truck just kept on pullin'. I just held the pedal to the floor and the truck did all the rest. Trans temp never did get to 200. Engine temp never did hit 210. Electric fan engaged for a few minutes on the longer pulls. A/C on all the way. Over all happy with the trip. Avg 12 1/2 MPG on the trip.(mountain driving)I wish I knew how much power/performance was lost with the bigger tires. I learned I really need to get gauges so I really know what's going on. Also a 4" exhaust may be in my future. Not as much for the performance increase, but to help with the life of the engine/truck. Okay, maybe some performance increase! ;)

Southard
05-13-2002, 18:54
I don't believe that you have an electric fan. You should have a clutch operated fan.

Dawg
05-13-2002, 19:02
Ya, I still have my old truck stuck in my brain. Takes me a while to get with the program! My old truck had a big block and would have got 6-8 MPG and not been able to pull the passes at 60-70 mph.

dmaxster
05-13-2002, 21:07
Well guys, I have been pulling the old race car around....the trailer with only some of the goods in, is weighing in at 15,000 and the truck is weighing in at 7500 so I am towing 22500.....We were pulling in Wausau and all I can say is the tuck did very well. it's kinda hilly so alot of down shifting and the Allison worked great.....this trailer is not a match for the old Duramax and the Allison....any guy who has an Allison in charge will never be let down...Right???? :D the only bad thing I can say is the fuel mileage.....It was really windy so I am taking that into account and I guess it's not really bad but did take me by surprise....180 miles to a tank of fuel....I have a short box so I don't have that much fuel to start with.....I averaged 9.5 to 10 mpg's......it's not really that bad but like I said it took me by surprise.....Right now at this time I wouldn't give up my dmax for nothing......I like the way the Allison works and the power of the Duramax......I thank the General for such a well equipt. truck......Right now my truck has 23500 on it....I am averaging 19-20 hwy and 17-18 cty...so with an emmpty load I can not knock the fuel mileage.....it seems since I started to tow that my truck does seem to have more power than it had.......sorry for such a long winded post........dmaxster :cool:

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: dmaxster ]</p>

DogDays
05-14-2002, 21:39
Well Dawg;

Sounds like everything went well for the 1st tow, just like it should. I tow a 13,500 lb 5er and get about 1 mpg less towing than you do. These D/A's are just great.

ellisbill
05-15-2002, 00:23
Dawg,
Me and my 5th wheel weigh in at 22650. My Silverado is a 2002 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed D/A. My mileage towing is 9.1 cumulative for a total of 5585 miles. I solved the range problem by replacing the standard GM 26 gallon tank with a replacement 45 gallon tank from Transfer Flow. Details available.
Regards,
smile.gif

letsgo
05-18-2002, 12:32
Ellisbill

I would be interested in your fuel tank installation, as the 26 US gal tank is on the small side for towing, also is the entire tank mounted between the frame rails