PDA

View Full Version : high pitched whine

konacat
05-13-2002, 17:30
Twice I have a high-pitched whine that seems to be coming from the front middle of the dash. It has happened while on cruise at about 65mph. It is not constant and kind of comes in and out. Had the truck 1 1/2 months w/4400 mile on it. Thought it might be the A/C or blower but no change when these are off. Any one have something similar happen or an idea what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Joe.G
05-13-2002, 18:03
If you had the air conditioner on it should be kinda intermittant, like when the compressor turns on and off. If you didn't have the a/c on then I don't know. Hope I helped.

Idle_Chatter
05-13-2002, 21:36
konacat, there's a cooling fan on the radio/stereo that comes on and off by thermostat. I heard it for the first time once when I had parked and shut off the engine and I couldn't figure out what was making that noise like a cassette tape on rewind in the center of my dash. Maybe your fan is whining, mine sure whirrs. Was your radio playing? Just a thought.

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2002, 22:37
konacat

Silly question, but....Do you have a CD in at the time of the noise? Sometimes they can get out of balance or off center on the spindle. The resulting noise is a whiring sound, or a vibrating hum. Just a thought.

konacat
05-14-2002, 12:33
CD was in but not playing. The radio was on and I will try to listen for the cooling fan location. Hard to pick it up while driving. Thanks

ford2chevy
05-14-2002, 13:12
I love to hear mine whine, but its the turbocharger. Sounds better than my radio!! smile.gif

YZF1R
05-14-2002, 14:39
Idle_Chatter - Very good on the cooling fan! I too heard this twice so far (1,200 miles) after I shut down. Was wondering what the heck was going on in there. I figured the computer was making a decision about something. Seems strange these days. You don't really have control. You are meerly putting in a request when you step on the throttle or whatever, then the computer decides what it's going to do about your request based on a zillion different parameters. :rolleyes:

Steve

Colorado Kid
05-14-2002, 17:58
I've noticed that the CD's spin even if they aren't playing. If the little disc logo is iluminated on the faceplate the CD is spinning, even if you're listening to the radio. I noticed this when I turned the radio all the way down to talk to my neighbor, then backed inside (almost said into ;) ) the garage and shut down...what's that whirring sound :confused: It quit when I pulled the door handle :confused: (insert a Tim Allen sound effect here). I had to figure it out so I closed the door and turned the key back on...whir...hit eject and it stopped :eek: and then ejected the CD. :cool: In the process of repeating the experiment I discovered the disc icon that I had never noticed before.

MaxRock
05-14-2002, 18:07
Colorado Kid, that sound you're hearing isn't the CD turning, it's the cooling fan. Next time you hear it, eject the CD and see if it's still making the sound. My fan makes an annoying spring rubbing kinda sound. It's just loud enough to be able to hear it when driving down the road. Really annoying!!! But, this is the only complaint I've had with the truck, 15k miles in 5 months. If I do bring it back to the dealer, I will have them fix/replace that annoying little fan.

MaxRock

Colorado Kid
05-15-2002, 08:10
As I said in my post, it quits when I eject the CD, and returns when I re-insert it. That's why I think its the CD.

Incidently the intermittant whining sounds in my truck seem to eminate radomly from the rear seat, and in a somewhat predictible patter from the area of the right front seat...intesity and duration seem to be related to throttle position and time elapsed since last potty break. ;)

MaxRock
05-15-2002, 09:32
Sorry Kid, I didn't read the part about ejecting the CD in your previous post! redface.gif I am talking from experience in my truck. I get this springy kind of sound. I initially thought it was the CD, but in my case it doesn't matter if the CD is in or not. I'm banking my issue is with the cooling fan.

MaxRock

YZF1R
05-15-2002, 14:26
Mine must be a cooling fan as I've never had a CD in it.