PDA

View Full Version : BD EZ Amp

More Power
05-13-2002, 17:38
We installed the BD EZ Amp 90 /250 production box on Saturday.... Wild!

Stock 249 rwhp
EZ 342 rwhp

We'll have a complete product eval before long, which includes dyno data, 0-60/quarter mile and a 600 mile towing report.

So far, these boxes are the ticket...

More Power!!!

SoCalDMAX
05-13-2002, 18:08
That's Awesome!

93hp at the rear wheel! Asuming the normal 18.5% losses thru the Allison, that comes out to 114 or 115hp at the crank!

The other boxes are advertising crank hp, to compare apples to apples. The best part is the torque rises very early, so the power band is really wide and throttle response is amazing.

Looking forward to hearing more input from those who got to test drive it at the Rendezvous.

Regards, Steve

Plasticfantastic
05-13-2002, 18:21
Any ideas when supply will be up to the demand? I'm sure they gotta be back-ordered big time right now. :eek:

BobNelson
05-13-2002, 19:20
For those who missed the rendezvous, it was great... That was one great dyno on MP's truck... Plug and play on the EZ Amp was less than 5 min. No drilling, no extra stuff. Just down right impressive.

All of the Dyno's and the workshops were informative. The day at BD was super, the eve prior at DAS was excellent, and some of us now know more about Dr. Lee's 6.2 project.

I had a ball, but will wait a year for the chip route. I think BD sold all ten EZ Amps in stock.. Maybe at the next gathering. ;)

Thanks MP for all you do... I had fun...

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: BobNelson ]</p>

obb
05-13-2002, 22:38
How does this box compare to the edge box as far as install and performance????

motovet
05-14-2002, 00:00
I was one of three on the first test drive and the second to get behind the wheel. Wow!!!... NO REALLY.... I mean scary fun! The acceleration is immediate and very strong. The BD truck did have their new 4" system and the BD version of a filter charger wich may have helped a bit with the quick turbo spoll up,but the dyno #'s were almost identical to MP's truck with just the box. I will add, the 4" system was real nice (mellow sound), and I was very impressed with the exhaust brake too. But the POWER!!... I bought the first of ten boxes they had in stock and am very concerned about my clean driving record. The look on all the faces after a test drive said it all! I am now aware that I will be needing guages wich I will add when I return from a trip back east. After that I will see how this baby towes.

Kennedy
05-14-2002, 00:29
MP,

As the first to tow with this box, Id be interested to hear how it went???

My little 3k load in the bed wasn't really much of a test...

MGM
05-14-2002, 13:53
I was the first to drive the BD, ez amp truck.(02 2500 D/A) To say it was spectacular is a understatement. In particular the power was instant and linear through all shift points. It was smooth, no hesitation or roughness from zero to redline.I have driven in or driven most of the curent box's ,(no propane)this is imho the cutting edge in DMAX performance today! All ten new modules that BD had , were sold out shortly after the dyno tests which were part of the DP show.Did i buy one? i aint telling, but allways go with the smart money.p.s. for those who dont know the ez amp and edge juice box are identical except for the decals.

MGM
05-14-2002, 13:55
I was the first to drive the BD, ez amp truck.(02 2500 D/A) To say it was spectacular is a understatement. In particular the power was instant and linear through all shift points. It was smooth, no hesitation or roughness from zero to redline.I have driven in or driven most of the curent box's ,(no propane)this is imho the cutting edge in DMAX performance today! All ten new modules that BD had , were sold out shortly after the dyno tests which were part of the DP show.Did i buy one? i aint telling, but allways go with the smart money.p.s. for those who dont know the ez amp and edge juice box are identical except for the decals. smile.gif

JERMCK
05-14-2002, 14:38
What is the web address for E Z Amp?

hoot
05-14-2002, 14:42
Hmmmm,

EZ and propane. I wonder....

Mark Bajus
05-14-2002, 15:03
well, until I got a ride in JK's truck at DAS friday night at the rendesvous, I thought my 6.5 went OK. HA!!! Mine now feels like its one of those old GM motors where you could shut down 4 of 8 cylinders...thanks John smile.gif

John, how much faster is the new box compared to the one you were running friday night? Any de-fueling on shifts?

Mark Bajus
05-14-2002, 15:07
Oh, and great to meet you MP- pleasure to take you and tough guy for a ride! Thanks for the "driving" tip ;) sorry I couldnt make it on saturday, but great fun while it lasted!! Funny, most of the carbon buildup in my motor seesm to be gone...

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Mark Bajus ]</p>

AzKevin
05-14-2002, 20:03
JERMCK,

Go to website www.EdgeProductsInc.com/dura_ez.html and they'll hook you up with the good stuff! :D ;)

Kennedy
05-14-2002, 21:56
Mark,

The combo I was running was good for 376HP and 821LB/Ft, but the Allison will not stand this in 5th gear. I did not try the Juice/AMP with the VA box as the timing curves could possibly clash, and I did not have sufficient testing time. I believe with a bit of tuning we will see 400RWHP with stock injectors and turbo, but it will take a bit of transmission beefing before we get there.

I have to say that it seems for any single module, the Juice/AMP seems to be the best suited for towing.

I was quite impressed by your 6.5 considering the injection pump was stock. I would have liked to see it on the dyno...

hoot
05-15-2002, 05:50
Critical question on the EZ Amp ....

What can we expect EGT wise.
Unloaded and towing?

Also, what were the RW torque figures with the Amp alone?

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Alli-max
05-15-2002, 09:10
Can the EZ Amp be turned COMPLETELY turned off, or bypassed? And, I am not talking about a very low setting, but completely off w/o disconnecting?

I had one of the original BD setups, the ones that worked half the time, and it absolutely KILLED my economy. I was getting ~9.5 - 10 mpg unloaded AND taking it easy (interstate at 75 mph driving).

And, this is when it wasnt setting codes or limp moding me.

Kennedy
05-15-2002, 10:23
Alli-Max,

Please note that Bully Dog made what you are referring to, and BD is a totally different entity.

Hoot,

They did not have the optic trigger hooked up so torque numbers are only a close approximation as the roll speed was matched to the engine RPM via reading the tach at 2500RPM and synchronizing to roll RPM. While this is OK for general reference, the tach needle is quite vague depending on viewing angle, AND the tach is not very precise. Given the situation, with multiple trucks to run, this is the simplest way to get torque numbers. If one were to go for a precise set of numbers then one would install the optic pickup to get a precise reading. One would also use a standard "sweep" rate (time duration of test window) for all trucks but that is another subject...

hoot
05-15-2002, 10:29
Thanks John.

It would have been nice, beings they expected a bunch of Dmaxes there.

How about EGT's? Did anybody watch them during these runs? I know that's one of the things I'd be watching. Now there's a distinct advantage of having the SPA digital gauges. Just hit the button to see last greatest reading.

Maverick
05-15-2002, 15:30
I ended up being the top dog of the stock Duramax's. I pulled 258 hp and 477 lb-ft according to the dyno. I even got better numbers than those with 4" exhaust.

Hoot,

These numbers are off Jim Bigley's truck with and without the edge-ez-amp box.

Base.....249.8 hp @ 2980 rpm
Test.....342.7 hp @ 2600 rpm
Change... 92.0 hp @ -380 rpm

Base.....459.3 lb-ft @ 2720 rpm
Test.....731.7 lb-ft @ 2140 rpm
Change...272.4 lb-ft @ -580 rpm

Jim did comment that he watched his EGT gauge climb to 1200 during this run.

I understand the Edge/ez-amp box can be programed with one setting for example.

Without tow/haul on, you leave it alone. Don't set anything.
Tow/haul "on", set to one of the 4 avaliable settings for power increase.

hoot
05-15-2002, 18:34
Excellent numbers. Thanks Maverick. 1200 EGT is not all that bad. This engine does that stock under certain conditions.

Kennedy
05-15-2002, 19:30
Well, I gotta wonder WHY Aaron sent me the first box in the first place. After trying the real deal, there is a night and day difference.

I think Aaaron is having a laugh at my expense, and he KNEW what he was sending me KNOWING the reaction he would get...

My max EGT on the dyno was 880

Juice
05-16-2002, 10:35
:eek: :rolleyes:

Kennedy
05-16-2002, 11:16
Juice,

You KNOW that I want more, but the Allison has to catch up in my case! I have a turbo ready to install, but I've got the Dmax running at a point where the Juice is all it can handle...

Now MP's Power Project II would be a good one to throw some more Juice at!!!

Of course all in jest on the early box performance. Truth is, night and day from first to second box!

armalite
05-16-2002, 14:22
J.K.,

Did you get a "Final Release" version of the juice?

Kennedy
05-18-2002, 08:11
Armalite,

I do not believe anything is truly "final" in these things as the relentless pursuit of perfection...

The ones I have received are now the 90hp variety.