PDA

View Full Version : Which pilot bearing to use

meanchev
07-14-2005, 14:49
First let me say hello i am a new 6.5 td owner and new to this page. But my dad has been a member for a long time. Anyway my truck is a 93 and needs a new clutch i have the clutch and it came with a new pilot bearing which is a neede type but i was told to use a oil life bearing which looks like a brass bushing. I asked the guy at teh shop i got the clutch from which one was better and he said to stay away from the oil life and use the needle bearing. What have you guys used and how have the held up thanks.

NH2112
07-14-2005, 15:23
I like the Oillite, myself, but due to being lazy the last time I did a clutch I just put the bearing in. All the Oillite bushings I've taken out before were still tight enough to be reused, but since everything else was new...

Turbo Al
07-14-2005, 17:56
One more vote for oilite :D

Al

Hubert
07-15-2005, 03:56
I did the oilite bronze bushing after reading several posts here and else where.

I don't have many miles on it yet but it seems fine.

Can anyone report on a failed or worn out bronze bushing. I can vouch for a failed needle bearing. The failed bearing tears up and gouges the input shaft! Mine was not too too bad ( at least it had a little length that was still smooth) I sanded the rest down with some sandpaper. It would have been better to speedy sleeve it or replace but I didn't.

[ 07-15-2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Hubert ]

twaddle
07-15-2005, 08:54
I too prefer the oiled brass or bronze bush.
It won't break up the way the needle bearings do.

Regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

BuffaloGuy
07-15-2005, 12:44
Needle bearing ruined trans input shaft. Bushing used now with zero trouble. Less is more here. Go with the bushing.

meanchev
07-15-2005, 13:13
well thanks guys i will definatly go with the oillite thanks for the help.