PDA

View Full Version : New LLY Piston Slap?

Black95TD
08-05-2005, 05:09
Good morning.

Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a new LLY with 1K. Light driving only so far. Mostly local, a few hundred highway at 60 -65.

When I start the motor cold, it sounds great. Nice heavy diesel sound. Once its hot, I have an irregular clack that is quite prominent. At a stoplight next to another car, its quite noticable. Similar sound to an old worn out hydraulic lifter however its most noticable from the wheelwell. It sounds like piston slap to me. I was just standing next to a town 3500 dump body that had none of this noise - just a nice heavy diesel sound.

My 95 6.5 had a similar sound when it was new (but not nearly as prominent) and it finally went away after lots of miles. At a 100K it was gone.

Is this piston slap? Is this normal? Will it go away after some heavy work or more miles. Oil pressure seems typical from the recent thread on this and its full (as a matter of fact, in a thousand miles it has not used any oil)

Anyone with experience with this issue.

azbass
08-05-2005, 08:01
Mine does it too. According to This Post (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008918) it's normal

Jim Brzozowski
08-05-2005, 08:11
Never know piston slap to go away. It gets progressively worse as it wears.
I think you might be hearing the ole tap tap, supposidely caused by air bubles bursting as they pass through the oil passages, so we've been told. Most everyone hears it after they change the oil and after awhile it goes away. Not to worry if thats what it is.

Black95TD
08-05-2005, 12:09
Thanks. I found that post just after I put up mine. I think I'll change the oil and see what happens.

mark45678
08-05-2005, 14:34
my 2 dmax truck have had zero piston noise, there is a few thing you can hear in the motor like injectors fireing..... going down the road my truck has a slight det problem until it over 180 *f water temp. there is something in the engine software that advances the fuel curve to soon when its cold. it will even miss fire almost every start up cold , I know I have a injector ballace problem starting I have seen number over 7.5 on my # 5 hole ! its only a mater of time before its going to be a big problem.