PDA

View Full Version : stock 95 6.5 How much can I pull?

know nothing
03-07-2004, 08:25
This must be an old topic but I'm new to it. My 6.5 has a 4.10 rear end and a five speed with a low; not the overdrive. I've pulled 10,000 pounds with it and thought it a prettty good load. Can I pull a 15,000 pound or more gooseneck? Obviously trying would give a quick answer, but it not so easy to do since I have to borrow the trailer and then come up with a load. I am thinking about carrying some quarry rock over some pretty hilly interstate two lane through southern Missouri. The hills are'nt long but they can be steep. A neighbor who I would barrow the trailer from pulls 30,000 pound with his old dodge cummins! He's a logger and his drives are pretty much local so he 's ok going slow up the hills. So how much can the 6.5 pull?

dslpwr
03-07-2004, 12:23
15,000 trailer is to much for stock 6.5 diesel.
You need EGT gages pulling that kind of a load.

Tough Guy
03-07-2004, 12:45
How long do you want your truck to last? Are you concerned about safety? Your manual will tell you how to calculate how much weight your truck was designed to pull, carry and stop. Exceeding the rating of your truck or anyone elses is not wise or safe.

Cheers

patrick m.
03-07-2004, 15:17
a couple of months ago i pulled about 12,000LBs from Nashville to Huntsville. Pulling, was not too bad, stopping WAS!
The load was in the bed, and on a 18 foot utility trailer w/brakes.
may not have been that bad on a bigger trailer (gooseneck) with better brakes, but i'll never do that again!

pannhead
03-07-2004, 15:29
i agree with everyone on this...you'll kill yourself or someone else...all it takes is one brain-fart and someone gets hurt :(

MTTwister
03-07-2004, 17:08
My one worst pull was 22,000 total on the scale. 5+ ton of Hay on a 2 axle flat bed - receiver hitch, with no trailer brakes! Just abour Sh.. when I saw the read. Then it was over the Homestake pass from Whitehall to Butte.

No Guages, no idea what was oging on witht he engine, just hotter than Hades - ran the heater full blast to take some temps off.

No, Can't recommend it ( but it did get it 'home' )

Kidd
03-07-2004, 18:01
Depends on the road and the speed you intend to travel. Much depends on your experience trailering, and your equipment. I can pull 30,000 lbs without any problem, but I have over a million miles hauling heavy equipment commercially without any incidents. Some of these loads were over 150 tons pulling with a 14,000 lb truck. So for me, 30,000 lbs with a 8,000 lb truck is no big deal.

If you are a novice, then keep her slow and light. Things can go wrong very fast. :cool:
KD

know nothing
03-07-2004, 18:08
Thanks for your direct and honest replies. I was just asking! Just wishing I could pull more. From what I understand from the websites with truck spec.s the truck made to pull 9,500 pounds. You're safe; I won't be out on the road with 15,000 trailer.

Stock 95

JoeyD
03-07-2004, 18:39
Wouldn't it be safe for a trailer rated for 15k to haul 15k? If the trailer is equiped with the correct brake system and it is functional there should be no concern.
I would be more concerned about climbing those hills with your 6.5.

CaseyR
03-09-2004, 17:50
Does anyone know the actual GCWR for my '94 2500? It isn't listed in the owner's manual or on the door frame and I searched in vain for a rating on the Internet (I found ratings for Chevy pickups ranged from about 8,400lb to 14,400lbs, but none said which model they were referring to.)
Just curious

Also curious about how the manufacturers come up with Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings. I guessed they probably plugged their axle ratings and brake specs into a computer program and pulled out a number. However, on a writeup of the new replacement for the S-10 one of the GM test engineers was quoted as saying they only rated the pickup at 5000 lb CGWR because they figured anyone wanting to pull a load would get the full sized pickup, so they didn't bother testing it for higher weight ratings. This would make me think that somehow they actually test the rig to see what happens. Does anyone know what they look for to determine when the weight is too much?

I am also surprised that the weight ratings seem to be largely dependent upon the engine and transmission. It seems to me that if you have the brakes and the handling then with a smaller engine you just downshift to a lower gear and get it there slower. After all, my 1948 Chevy dump truck with 90hp or so will haul a lot more than my '94 pickup with a lot more horses...