PDA

View Full Version : Dynomax Exhaust CC Short box just released

2DAMAX
05-14-2002, 22:47
Dynomax exhaust just released the 4in down pipe and the rest of the system for crew cab short box D/A's.I will have mine in 1 week,I just can't wait!! :D :D :D :D

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: 2DAMAX ]</p>

Tader Jack
05-15-2002, 10:45
How much ?

2DAMAX
05-15-2002, 10:50
my cost is 550.00 wholesale.retail???? :D

MAXed Out
05-15-2002, 11:51
May I ask from where are you are purchasing the Dynomax?

• Web site address
• Telephone #
• Contact Name
• Part #

Throw me a bone here pal.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

2DAMAX
05-15-2002, 12:07
http://www.dynomax.com/ Has all #'s under new products.I bought through my local exhaust supplier wholsale only, Becouse I own a repair shop.Good luck steve :D

01F350SRW
05-15-2002, 14:02
Now when you say 4" down pipe, is that from the back of the turbo or from the pipe that runs down from the turbo? WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A 4" DOWN PIPE!!!!!!! FROM THE TURBO ALL THE WAY TO THE TIP, SO YOU HAVE A REAL FULL 4"S!

01F350SRW
05-15-2002, 14:19
Heh Heh, nevermind, i just visited the site, thank you Dynomax!

Kennedy
05-15-2002, 14:55
That pipe does NOT attach to the turbo...

Those at the Rendezvous had a chance to see and hold the OEM Dmax downpipe.

tmg115
05-15-2002, 15:32
dosn't the Banks 4in attatch to the turbo?

Tader Jack
05-15-2002, 15:37
No the Banks does not.

There is one downpipe that will fit and can only be made 3.5" over the present 3" downpipe. At least that is what I've been told so far. Lots of misinformation kicking around about this from what I've heard so far.

Tader Jack
05-15-2002, 16:09
Since we are talking "pipes" it's interesting to note that Billy Boat -- B&B Exhaust "does not" have a 304 stainless setup for the Dmax that will fit a CC/SB with an Allison Transmission. I just talked to them and they apparently found that out the hard way.

They make great looking systems, but told me straight out that it won't fit with an Allison. I wouldn't think it to be a big deal, but sounds like it is. It seems like they should make one to fit both trannys . . . duh??? There are a "few" Allison's out there.

I've been talking to lots of people and definitely want stainless and was really considering them as one of the last three to make a decision. He said it would be a month or longer before they get it figured out. If it was non-stainless, there are some good choices, but I've had nothing but stainless on my last 2 trucks with good luck compared to the aluminized steel here in the "rust belt". Having a 304 stainless put on my wife's truck locally next week.

Looks like Mr. Banks just might have another win by default.

Joe.G
05-15-2002, 16:55
OK, I am going to try to explain one more time how the small pipe to large pipe works. It works on the differencial principal, when a gas under pressure enters a larger area it expands causing a low pressure area that reduces back-pressure in the smaller area. In other words it actually sucks the exhaust out of the smaller pipe. So I guess you could say the 4 inch exhaust sucks.

Kennedy
05-15-2002, 19:34
Thanks Joe!

BTW, howd you come out on the harness?

01F350SRW
05-15-2002, 20:21
Question,
then how come when you go to the new products section on the dynomax site, they have, it says it, a 4" downpipe that attachs to the back of the turbo?

Please explain
Its in Black in White

Colorado Kid
05-16-2002, 10:38
You can say it sucks if you want to, but I'm gonna tell you it would suck harder if the expansion occurred right at the flange from the turbo than it does 3 feet away. Lower velocities in a larger cross-section are ALWAYS going to result in lower pressure losses, and since the pressure at the outlet end of the pipe (atmospheric) is independent of the pipe size, the one with less losses is going to have lower pressure at the Turbo outlet flange, and that's going to be the one with the bigger down pipe. Otherwise every diesel manufacturer would take advantage of the "differencial principal" and start with a 1/2" pipe and expand it up in steps to take maximum advantage of the sucking.

Dynomax's new Stainless Steel 4" Mandrel-bent Duramax Downpipe looks like just what the doctor orderred. Now if I could just convince my "boss" that we need to buy an exhaust system....

2DAMAX
05-16-2002, 17:23
test

2DAMAX
05-16-2002, 17:38
test

Kennedy
05-16-2002, 18:03
When you get one, and show me, Ill believe it. Sorry to be so blunt, but the picture shows what most are referring to as a downpipe, and that one does NOT attach to the turbo, rather the extension/outlet/downpipe or whatever you call it.

If there was 4" pipe in front of the pictured pipe, why is the pipe in the pictur necked down???

I run stepped systems on all of my TDs...

deerhunter7
05-16-2002, 19:51
What's the benefit of a larger dia. exhaust pipe
other than bragging rights. I have seen nothing to
prove better mileage or HP .???? :confused:

01F350SRW
05-16-2002, 21:16
Hey Deer man

Larger Dia pipes serve a purpose, move a larger amount of gases. When I spool my stroker up, straight 5", faster than your 3.5" you'll know the difference............................. :D

Mic
05-23-2002, 11:05
Just got my Dynomax 4" system installed with the 4" 'down pipe'.

It sounds awesome! :D

It starts with 3.5 necked immediately up to 4".
It is attached at the passenger side at what appears to be a band clamp of some sort. Then it's 4" to the HUGE louvered straight thru muffler and then dumps out at 4" tip.

In my intial runs the EGT are actually lower than the 3.5" straight pipe I ran. Not as drastic as going from muffler to straight pipe, but there is a good 70-90 degree drop over straight piping. :cool:

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

Tader Jack
05-23-2002, 12:01
I think what everyone is referring to as the "down pipe" is actually the "header pipe" that attaches below the Vee clamp on our Duramax's. This pipe runs back to the muffler.

I believe a true turbo down pipe is the one coming down from the turbo which then hooks into the exhaust system above the Vee clamp on our trucks.

I've talked to several exhaust people the past few weeks and the term "down pipe" is really misued by many of them. After questioning several of them as to what their systems actually include, they still refer to it as the "down pipe". When I mention the pipe out of the turbo down they tell me that is not included . . . Duh . . . The only ones that really knew the difference (besides John Kennedy) was the guy at B&B Exhaust and the cust. service rep at Banks.

For what it's worth, I don't care what they call it, just so we're all talking apples to apples.

There is one "true" turbo down pipe out there though, and at least one more on the way soon that I'm aware of at this time.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Coming soon . . . Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust . . . to be installed 5/29/02
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Tader Jack ]</p>

Joe.G
05-23-2002, 17:27
I based what I said on dyno results on high HP engines that are run in dragracing. The headers on these engines are stepped 3 times from small to big and I can assure you it works!

big dipper
05-23-2002, 18:52
Tader Jack,
You said you know of 1 company that has a "down pipe" and 1 on the way. I know you said Banks was in the process of fabricating theirs, but who is the other company? If you have more info or maybe even a picture, could you share it with us? Thanks!