PDA

View Full Version : Clunker

JEBar
05-16-2002, 19:14
At around 12,000 miles I started noticing a "clunk" (for lack of a better term) coming from somewhere in the rear of my '02 3500 D/A HD 4X4. It consistently takes place whenever my truck starts of from a standing start. In the old days, I'd have figured I had a worn universal joint. Can be felt in he seat of your pants more than heard inside the cab...but can be heard by a person standing by either rear wheel.Took it into my dealership and they told me the clunk is being caused by the natural settling of the trucks rear springs. GM has apparently had problems with this because they have a rubber spacer kit availabe for warranty repair for trucks with this problem. Spacers installed and guess what? Although it appears to be somewhat muted, she still thunks on take off. Am now being told that they are still sure it is the springs but the spacers have corrected the proble as well as it is possible to be corrected. Further, if they install new springs, when the new ones settle I'll hve the same problem. HELP!!! Other than the above, my dealership is clueless (I'm driving the only D'max they have ever sold)...anyone's advise with experience in this area would be appreciated. :confused:

NutNbutGMC
05-16-2002, 19:40
^...One-piece or two-piece drive shaft?

JEBar
05-17-2002, 03:35
2 piece (I think)...due to readig previous post on this I specifically requested dealer to check it...am told they did and the problem is not the driveshaft or universals :confused:

Sandman
05-17-2002, 04:49
My '02 has the single drive shaft.....would think yours does as well. What about the G80? Mine makes a clunking sound. Maybe that is engaging alot or something is wrong.

Wayne

NutNbutGMC
05-17-2002, 04:52
^....Several points here. First, look for yourself. Just peek up in under the machine and see if there is a two-piece shaft. If so, then look to see if your machine qualifies for the TSB replacement. Next, go to the service area and complain about launch shudder, under load. Get it replaced with a one-piece. Then you'll have a nice, tight, smooth drive component. Don't accept the service dude's diagnosis, unless you, yourself knows that he / she knows what they are talking about. The one-piece shaft will make a difference, and likely will eliminate the clunk.

JEBar
05-17-2002, 15:31
Sandman is exactly correct...mine does have a very large on piece drive shaft....as already stated, universals seem to be fine as well :confused:

Idle_Chatter
05-17-2002, 18:33
Well, JEBar, if you're sure that you've eliminated the drive shaft and universals: Spring plates/u-bolts?, Shock mounts/bushings?, Spare tire tight?, what's fuel level? (you getting a surge and bump in the plastic tank at 1/2 full?), fuel tank straps?, stub shaft in transfer case binding? There's a lot of starting spring-wrap and torque on the rear axle at startup, could be pulling or bumping a lot of stuff attached to or mounted near the rear axle. Just some things to crawl under the truck and tinker with this weekend! :rolleyes:

JEBar
05-17-2002, 19:21
THANKS for all the suggestions...looks like I'm due for spending some quality time under may truck with wrench in hand! :confused:

ThePend
05-17-2002, 20:57
One more thing you might want to check.

That the rear brake pads are actually releasing. That clunk you hear my be from them.

Mi 2 sents