PDA

View Full Version : oil in the left exhaust manifold

DamienJ
11-06-2005, 15:44
I just changed both heads because of a blown head gasket, thought since I was in the engine that deep it was a good idea.(wrong)
I notice when I was turning the engine over to lub the new head the oil was coming out of the manifold thought it was just from the oil line for the turbo because I left it hanging over the manifold.
But after putting everything back together notice oil buring smell and oil dripping out of the exhaust pipe.
Someone please help me.
The engine ran fine before the change out and runs great now with the exception of the oil leak.
Also had to change out the pushrods because some(4)of them were bent.

More Power
11-06-2005, 16:19
That's a tough one to diagnose via BB...

An exhaust valve stem seal?

Try to positively identify the exact source of the oil leak. Make sure it's not leaking onto the outside of the exhaust manifold, then assuming it's coming from within (like a leaking valve cover).

Jim

Dvldog 8793
11-06-2005, 18:00
Howdy
The only way I can think of to get raw unburned oil into the exhaust would be through the turbo oil seal? If the seal was leaking on the exhaust side, the ubit would still get plenty of lube but just wouldn't return to the pan, instead dumping oil in the down-pipe. I'm not sure if it's possible for that seal to leak like that? If you had a valve seal out I would think the preasure would be going the other way. To get enough oil in the exhaust for it to be running out the tail pipe has to be after the combustion. Are you SURE it is oil and not fuel? If you have a dead cylinder(s) by the time the unburned fuel got to the tail pipe it would look like oil.
Hope this rambling mess helps somehow...
L8r
Conley