PDA

View Full Version : PERFORMANCE BOX SUMMARY

xwing
05-17-2002, 01:59
IMO--Somebody with alot of experience and knowledge needs to post a running summary of "Boxes" available, what they do (fuel pressure, timing, injector pulsewidth), and documented hp/performance changes. If somebody has documented dyno run result for box, or dragstrip quartermile ET/MPH, add it.

Also, a running post of Problems+Solutions when using these engine mods.

Also, effects of Combinations, and which combos don't make sense (2 that do fuel pressure etc).
This could be copied and updated easily as time goes by.
I am confused by all the boxes and different stickers on some that are the same.
Kennedy? SoCalDmax? Sure would help me want to buy products from somebody going through the trouble to "keep it all straight" for us smile.gif

OK, put up or shut up, so I'll start; this is not Gospel, if somebody sees errors write in. I picture somebody just Copying this "Chart", adding in their short info, then Posting the "modified chart" to this site. If unsure, just post message/info for discussion, then once a consensus is reached, the "Chart" can be reposted with the additions; that way nobody has to retype the whole thing!
--------------------------------------------
BOXES/HP ADDERS:

1) BullyDog or TS Performance "MaxPowerPlug" =SpeedZone "PowerPlay"=PacificAudio box. Increases fuel pressure. Easy dial adjustment in-cockpit; can flick it from "stock" to +70hp in 1/10 of a second, like at stoplight against upstart Honda. A little more "dieselclatter" as hp dialed upward. +70hp gain. Quartermile 15.1@85.5. Fairly easy to remove for Dealer Service/Warranty, ~15 minutes.

2) VanAaken Box=BD DynoMite=BullyDog "PowerPlay2"=Edge "Juice"=TS Performance "PowerMax". +40-120hp. timing/pulsewidth map changes. Other companies remap what VanAaken did, some push it harder. Some can adjust power level. Smarter boxes than #1 above, comes on when stepping on it, but not as easy/quick to adjust as dial on #1.
Fairly easy to remove for Dealer Service, ~15 minutes.

3) Propane Injection (PS2000, BullyDog). adjustable+60-100hp. May have lower EGT for same hp gain level as Boxes. Can work with "chip/boxes".
Hard to remove it all for Dealer Service, ~2 hours (?).

4) #1 + #3. +100-200hp. Can slip 5th gear if trans not modded such as with ATS valvebody, torque converter, electronic lockup device.

5) #1 + #2 +100-170hp. Can set codes, can't run both boxes full bore due to Codes set.

6) #2 +#3

7) #1+#2+#3 (SoMnDmax?)
------------------------------------------
PROBLEMS and SOLUTIONS:

1) Slipping 5th Gear on Allison when too much power applied: "According to the ATS web site, they now have a triple disc lockup torque convertor ($1,370), electronic lockup controller ($275) and valve body ($630). For a mere $2,275 plus shipping and installation, we can have a beefed up tranny."

2) Ridiculously low 3100rpm shift point: No Solution Yet. NEEDS computer mod to raise rpm. RPMxTorque=HP, so same torque to higher RPM gives automatic "FREE HP" WITHOUT more torque load on transmission/clutches.

3) "Limp Home" codes set when too much power seen by stock computer (maybe due to senses input vs. output rpm variance/clutch slippage in trans):
Adjust one or more power devices DOWN until it doesn't give problems. NEEDS computer mod to allow QUICK reset! (Who else has been stuck in this mode towing?)

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: xwing ]</p>

RWHP
05-17-2002, 19:44
I agree with you, but the problem is all the people that are on here promoting boxes also sell them.

Which means that the oppinions and information handed over would be bias towards the product with the most profit.

What we need to do is get a box from all the different manufacturers and do an independant test of real world towing/driving/dyno results.