PDA

View Full Version : trickle charge

olimaxx
08-10-2005, 20:14
i have a company truck and my poor 05 sometimes may sit in the driveway (with a truck cover) for up to 2 weeks. i was wondering about putting a "battery tender" on it. any pros amd cons?

rob@rone.ca
08-11-2005, 05:25
I had my old 93 6.5 TD (also dual battery) and used to leave it sit for weeks without any battery charger summer and winter. It always started instantly, after the glow plugs did their thing, and those stayed on for close to a minute in cold weather.

My last set of Batteries lasted 7 years, and were still going when I traded it for the Dmax just recently.

The new one hasn't sat for too many days at a time yet!!

In any case unless you're in an area where temperatures are below freezing, I wouldn't worry about it.

markrinker
08-16-2005, 04:47
California shouldn't be a problem for your batteries sitting. If it goes over a month, I'd take the truck for a drive just to keep things charged and reliable.

Here in Minnesota, I have onboard trickle chargers on both my '94s which are used for plowing. When they are plugged in for block heat, the batteries are getting 'topped off' as well. Really improved cold weather reliability.