PDA

View Full Version : Those with JUICE

Carli_max
05-17-2002, 08:44
What settings do you guys normally keep programmed into your trucks when your running empty? Just wondering. If you were gonna tow, would you program level #1 into the T/H button, and level #2 in the normal drive position?? Or the other way around? This box is awesome!!! :D

SoCalDMAX
05-17-2002, 12:09
I've only used the 60hp version, so this is based on that power level. Of the 4 levels, I'd drive around unloaded in level 4. I've heard that Edge recommends level 2 for towing.

As John Kennedy has pointed out, everyone's truck reacts differently to mods, so you might get away with level 3 with a light load if you're lucky.

The beauty is, there are 4 levels, there should be a good one for everyone/ all situations.

From the way this thing makes torque, those who tow, especially heavy, are gonna LOVE the Juice. The engine will now grunt and maintain 5th like
never before.

I bought a diesel for low rpm torque, and despite my driving habits, I'd love to keep the rpms under 2500 just for engine longevity.

When we get some guys towing with it out there, we're going to see a flood of "OH MY GAWD, DOES THIS THING TOW" posts on here.

My big concern with any mod is: How are the EGTs? The EGTs I've seen with the Juice have been basically the same as stock EGTs except when I've got it floored that last 1/4" of pedal. Keep in mind, at anything less than that, you're still producing tremendous power and the only thing the last 1/4" of travel is doing is raising the EGTs. I still truly believe that everyone towing should have gauges, even if not modded.

I can easily commute to work, pass everybody else, even climbing hills and not even use the bottom half of the throttle pedal travel. VERY addicting...

Regards, Steve

Carli_max
05-17-2002, 12:57
Steve,

I've been setting the normal mode (everyday driving) to level #2 and the T/H mode with level #4 (Max power). Even at level #2 the pedal is very sensative, and takes some getting use to. I too have gauges and don't see any significant increase in EGT's. Maybe the 4" Banks helps compensate a tad! Boost is up to about 27lbs. Wet pavement feels like ice, as the tires break loose with less than half throttle applied. I have not had the chance to tow yet. I'll have to hook up my dump trailer with the bobcat in it (9000 lbs) and give it a go. Very pleased with it so far. :D

mackin
05-17-2002, 14:09
I to have that peddle sensitivity, mostly when cold, on first start up ........ It's does take a little getting use to since the "JUICE" does change , the peddle responce ... Had some unsuspected launches a couple times ... I drive in MAX level my box puts out ..... Jury still out at what I really got ..... tongue.gif But I'll tell you it ain't lacking much , if anything ..... It's a rocket ..... I net out at 7500 ...... With me and family and a DOG aboard I'm over 4 tons net heavy for starters ......... It leaves real hard and pulls to shut down ......... Tranny shifts smooth ....... I'll be running 235 by the end of the weekend ..... I'll look out for a tranny shift difference , also....... What I'll do is do the old drop down routine.... Drive it kinda hard for a few miles to let it get aquatinted ......That should fix'er ..........
MAC :D

Kennedy
05-17-2002, 16:12
I just reset to 4 and 2. That way I can hit the tow/haul button at the 4-5 upshift and protect the transmission during acceleration runs.

Mackin, If your current box is anything like the one I first recieved, the new one will be like going from setting 2-4 from what Ive seen. Mine lacked the REAL bottom end.

I havent tried the pedal sensitivity in the lower settings, but it can be a bear on setting 4. Problem is, like the guys with the first batch of '01s, if the pedal progression is softened (like the factory ECM updates) you will get the sensation of less power...

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mackin
05-17-2002, 21:02
This is one of the reason I'm trying to gather as much info as possible ........ I have not bothered to upgrade my box although I could have a while ago ...... Because it runs so good ...... Low end grunt ...... Beautifully delivered , not lacking ........ High end power ... Ditto ....... So JK, I will certainly bite on your Individuality statement ...... The question is what is my BOX pushing? Only a dyno will tell me ...... Or does that set up really agree with MY TRUCK? I have another box coming, and curiosity killed the cat, so I will try it ........ I am very pleased with what I got ....... All the power I need, drivability is outstanding ......... So I'll either eat a big piece of crow pie, or drop in a coronary ... LOL I'll tell you all, trust me ...........

MAC

?DURAMAX
05-20-2002, 07:10
I drive with mine on #1 just back and forth to work. T/H is set to #4 just in case somebody wants to get smoked. I pulled my boat this weekend #2 setting up to the lake. Pulls like a dream. EGT'S hit 1000. On the way back set it to #3. I was a little nervous. When I hit 1250 egt just on the on ramp very little incline. 14.1 mpg.

01_Duramax_Dually
05-20-2002, 07:58
?Duramax,
No need to worry about 1250. You should be OK. Glad you have the tools to watch it as do I.

I do not have the "Juice" box but when I am towing I routinely hit 1150 - 1200 towing over long steep passes through the desert with about 21 lbs boost. I am considering the "Juice" box but want a little more data about EGT's when towing big loads. Hate to find out they get to high and I really only want the extra power to assist in towing, I have no real need for the extra when unloaded. This trucks flat hauls Butt without any help... :D :D :D

7mmSTW
05-20-2002, 08:04
Hey guys, are those EGT #'s pre or post?

Later

Seven

MaxNouT
05-20-2002, 08:23
01_Duramax_Dually,

Pulled my boat this past weekend,what a great experience! :D :D :D
Boat with trailer weighs approx. 13k
Juice set at level #2 and stock exhaust.
Running down the interstate at 75mph EGT was 800DEGF.
Changing lanes and passing in traffic saw 1000DEGF.
Hard acceleration reading 1200DEGF.
The added power/torque kept the transmission locked up when rolling on the throttle.
No more of that tranny searching thing.
Transmission temp went no higher than 150DEGF,although it was a cool day in the 50's.
I'm also running the deep pan with Transynd.
I'm still thinking about how well this truck pulled with the Juice setup - VERY SATISFIED
If I can answer any questions I'm at DLH35L@JUNO.COM smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Carli_max
05-20-2002, 08:52
Up a slight grade accelerating hard, empty, on 90Hp setting, my guage read 1250. My egt probe is pre-turbo. I have a 4" banks exhaust.

I have another question/observation. When I turn my juice off, ie. set to Reverse and give it 3 pumps of the throttle, it seems like its not shutting off completely. Like it has a lot more power that it use to stock. Either it's not shutting off completely, or the tranny has learned something new. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I talked to Aaron, about this, and he said that you have to sometimes cycle the T/H button a few times to cause a reset, while programming your off setting. I know why would you want to shut it off!! :rolleyes:

armalite
05-25-2002, 00:07
Have the Juice now, but concerned about smoke on acceleration. Should this be considered normal? Its not much smoke but enough to see through the headlights of the guy behind me. The power is amazing but I do get conerned about causing damage to the engine. Any recommendations on guages???

mackin
05-25-2002, 05:12
armalite,

Smoke is good ...I got smoke. We all should have some smoke ..... Well, the assumption is it is black, grayish smoke .....That Means you got some fuel in there ... My truck you could see smoke at night in headlights stock ...Tiss an OIL burner after all ....... Did you ever see a BOMBED mighty D/C at a sled pull, or a dyno run? ....... As the refer to it as, making smoke like a forest fire, them suckers can chug ....... This is not good for environment, that was for the tree huggers, me it's something to see ...... But nuts to bolts still diesel is less of a pollutant then a gasser ...... Guages , whatever your preference .... I like Autometer ... Did they ever get the ISPRO ? .... In the cab high pitched whistle problem solved? Or was it anouther guage company?
MAC :D :D

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SledZep
05-25-2002, 05:31
Kennedy, You posted..
"like the guys with the first batch of '01s, if the pedal progression is softened (like the factory ECM updates) you will get the sensation of
less power..."
I have an 02 and was wondering if the APP could be adjusted so that 100% throttle was actually near the floor, where as right now I feel that it isn't. Is that what you meant? Is it possible with an upgrade I might get a longer throttle....