PDA

View Full Version : Air intake tube.

YZF1R
05-17-2002, 11:43
I remember seeing a new intake tube and box cover somewhere on here. I searched but could not find it. Anyone remember who that was from? At the time, I think they were still working on getting the MAS to work properly. I have an '02 with the Amsoil filter and Kennedy exhaust. I would like to get rid of the intake muffler that is on the '02 models and hear the turbo more. On a practical side, it looked like it would pull air in more evenly through the filter and into the tube. I think the web sight also showed different colors. (Amber, smoke, clear, etc.)

I would like to see if anything came of it. It would have to be good and strong as I would not want something cheaply made that is easily deformed when I screw it down over the filter.

Thanks for any input,
Steve

P.S. This sight is absolutely the best!

kanton1
05-17-2002, 12:17
YZF,

Ultimate Performance and Design
http://www.ultimatepd.com

Good luck
kyle

pinehill
05-17-2002, 12:38
Whew! $240 seems extremely high for this item. It's also not obvious that intake flow would be significantly higher. :(

tjc
05-17-2002, 12:41
Gas cover will not fit diesel cover, different mounting configuration.

pullinpower
05-17-2002, 18:25
I was the one that bought the K&N intake kit,was that the one your talking about?

Plasticfantastic
05-17-2002, 18:33
The tube on my '01 doesn't have any sort of baffle. Other than the accordian bend, it appears to have very little restriction. Stock, mine would suck the "dirt meter" in about half way every time I reset it. I did the "swiss cheez box" trick to the lower half of my airbox and now the meter doesn't suck in at all. This says something significant I think. The turbo whine is more noticeable but seat of the pants feel is negligible.... still, I feel it was an improvement.

YZF1R
05-18-2002, 10:36
Thanks for all the replies.

kanton1 - That's the one I was thinking of.

pinehill - Wow! That is alot.

tjc - Thought maybe thay had one for the diesel.

pullinpower - Thanks, but no, it was the tube.

Plasticfantastic - Was thinking maybe I could just get the tube and the 6.6 logo cover for an '01. Probably want big bucks for it at the dealership though.

I'm sure sooner or later someone will come out with something.

Thanks again everybody!
Steve

LA DMAX
05-19-2002, 14:39
YZF1R, I just got an email back from Ultimate PD and they said they will be comming out with an intake for the Dmax in a few weeks. I know it's a pricy unit but I think you can run any filter you choose with this unit, eg: K&N, Amsoil, paper. Don't know any numbers or gains though. Hope this helps.

LA DMAX

7mmSTW
05-19-2002, 15:07
Have any of you seen a BHAF on a Dodge? I think this would be the route to go. The filter used in this setup with the Dodge is around 10 3/8" in diameter and about 10 1/2" long. The rest of the setup shields the filter from turbo heat. This wouldn't be a problem with the D-max due to the turbo location though. I believe that all we would need to find is a filter that would be ~10" long and maybe about 9 or so in diameter. Remove the airbox and build a bracket to hold this one (the Dodges use two small pieces of angle with robber strip to protect the filter) then just zip tie the filter in place. The filter on the Dodges has a place for the intake breather tube to clamp on just like it does to an airbox. I wish I could make this less complicated or show pictures.

Later

Seven

P.S. BHAF stands for Big Honkin' Air Filter :D

LA DMAX
05-19-2002, 15:43
7mm, I've seen one of those BHAF, it is a Fleetguard cannister style filter, it's a paper element so you are limited to using, just paper. The bad thing is that you only get the filter. You would need to fab your own tubes to the intake, and don't forget that we have a MAF sensor that needs to be in the picture somewhere. I don't think we can just cutout the stocktube portion where the MAF goes... but then again there are some engineers/fabricators/welders/tubebenders and riggers of all sorts on this board that certainly could rig something. Would be nice to see.
Later

LA DMAX

LA DMAX
05-19-2002, 15:55
7mm, Aha, I just looked at the stock setup and the Fleetguard website and it appears all we would need is a 4" diameter piece of tubing and a couple of hose clamps to secure the filter and the tubing and it might work. The only thing is that the size of that filter is 10.5" X 11.88" and that may not fit where we need it to. I didn't acutally do any measurements. Nice idea 7mm.

LA DMAX

7mmSTW
05-19-2002, 16:33
I've got a buddy running one on a Dodge right now. The filter hooks straight up to the tube, the fit is fairly tight though, but it clamps on with a good seal. We cross referenced the # on the Amsoil site and found a filter that should work. Now all we need is a filter just a little smaller for the D-max. The stock tube should work and we shouldn't have to mess with the MAF sensor at all. The fabrication of everything else should be simple enough, I have already made one BHAF for the CTD.

Later

Seven

YZF1R
05-19-2002, 16:35
Thanks again folks! Yea, it is pretty pricey. There just isn't much room under the hood of new vehicles any more. Amazing that they get it all in there.

NickLeinonen
05-20-2002, 08:15
for those looking for the canister filters, how about the canister filters that were on the 97-00 gm 6.5TD's with the maf sensor.it looks about 6" diam. and 11" long or so... the factory one is just a tick bigger than the k&n, but the k&n has a rubber lip at the mounting end that comes with a hose clamp to clamp it to ductwork.

i snapped a few pics of my factory filter. they will be in my sig. under misc images

YZF1R
05-20-2002, 14:28
NickLeinonen: That's yet another idea. I really don't see any big problems with the stock box. Just looking to get rid of the muffler and keep the Amsoil filter.

BTW - That Scottsman won't do 140 to long without the tender! :D I really enjoy MSTS but when I really want to run a train you can't beat TrainMaster for the phyisics.

Barc
05-20-2002, 15:00
I've been watching these posts regarding airbox mods - anyone have any advice?? :D I have installed a K&N filter and it makes a BIG difference - just wondering about drilling out the bottom of it?!! How much does this affect things and will it allow snow and crap to sneak up in there?? Thanks