PDA

View Full Version : The end of the line for my Duramax

redneckcowdoctor
06-06-2003, 05:35
Recap: On May 24th I was towing a horse and just happened to glance at my gauges and noticed my oil pressure was very low—around 30 psi at 70 mph (could reach 45 if I reved the engine). When I checked the dipstick my first impression was that there was nothing on it but on closer inspection it was wet, but not with oil. I crawled underneath with an empty mineral oil jug and drained a gallon of very thin extremely hot liquid out of the Fumoto valve in about 10 seconds. Turns out it was basically diesel. I posted this scenario and dmaxalliTech correctly diagnosed the problem as a failed injector return line (I believe it was leaking where it attaches to the injector unit). I couldn’t believe a case held that much when they drained it—seemed to come out forever—it was about six gallons. My dealer repaired it for free (including replacing the injector) in spite of the truck being at 103,350 miles. Jim Cook Chevy in Marion, NC, always treated me great.

I had towed down the interstate up to 60 miles with the viscosity of my engine lubricant not much more than water. I suppose if I hadn’t happened to check the oil pressure I would have continued until the truck seized up, which might have been better because then I would have gotten a new engine under warrantee. To make matters worse the engine after repair seemed distinctly louder than before, both at idle and under load. Ran okay, just louder. My wonderful truck was now possibly nothing more than a very expensive and unwarranteed ticking time - . Maybe no damage was done but after looking at the thin diesel/oil mix that came out of the case I find that very hard to believe.

I use my truck seven days a week for business so it’s a real imposition when it’s out of commission. I usually “steal” one of my teenager’s cars and try to work with only a fraction of my equipment. I ended up pulling a molar tooth on a horse with pair of hoof nippers last week because I found myself 40 miles from home without my dental tools (luckily the owner didn’t know the difference!). The rough dirt roads are tough on the cars though. I get on probably 500 different farms a year and they all have pick-ups. I’ve spent the past two years telling everyone how great my Duramax was and now everyone is asking, “where’s your Chevy?”. I simply tell them that my particular one didn’t turn out so good. I still have confidence in the Duramax, but not nearly enough confidence to plunk down another $40,000 on one. I figure GM has enough of my money for selling me a “professional grade” truck that didn’t stand up to routine use as well as my seven

NFLDMAX
06-06-2003, 06:01
I hope it works out for you, my buddy in Miami has the HO and loves it.

Brand loyalty is a tough thing these days.

hoot
06-06-2003, 06:17
I don't think anybody here will flame you.

Speaking of diesel in oil problems...
There's an article in the latest MotorAge magazine "Garage" column. They took in a 2003 Ford 6.0 PSD that had six bad injectors. The truck was brought in for stalling no/start issues. Before they found out the injectors were bad they discoverd the turbo bearings were shot and replaced the turbo. Took it for a run and it still ran bad. Checked the oil and it was SEVEN quarts overfull. At this point they suspected injectors. They replaced all eight injectors and the second turbo :eek: The turbo bearing could not handle the diluted oil but they said the rest of the engine should be fine. Not my truck. If that happened to me I would surely be getting minimum a new engine. But at 2500 miles I'd be going for a new truck

It had only 2500 miles on it. You made it over 100,000 and it was only a leaking return line.

It might have been possible to get something done about it. Maybe talking to the right people and sending letters to the folks that can make the decisions you need made would have born fruit.

Congrats on the new truck. Let us know how it compares!

I feel I need to tell you one thing though....
The new Cummins uses the same injection system as the Duramax except I believe there are no internal lines. The injectors are fed by ports along the side of the head. Here's a cutaway... PORTS (http://www.booksfast.net/dodged81.jpg)

You can see the high pressure pump and the rail in this image....
http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/cummins/cummins%20turbo%20diesel%20engine%201.jpg

[ 06-06-2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: AXE GRINDER ]

SparkyTX
06-06-2003, 07:04
I certainly agree with the others so far that I wish you the best. The fact is that right now, Ford is having some trouble with their first year 6.0. Wow. What a shock. First year of a new motor. What do people expect?!? I honestly believe you can't go too wrong with any of the big three. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses.

I know for me, the decision wasn't too tough. I had no desire to go with a first year motor, so that quickly ruled out the Ford. I personally don't like the looks of the new Dodge and I needed a true Crew Cab for the family. Dodges rear doors just weren't gonna cut it for me. The GM had the most comfortable back seat of any we drove. And as far as the Ford having a much more roomy interior? I am only 5'5". An S10 has enough interior room for me! And I chose the GMC over the Chevy because I liked the smoother lines of the GMC.

Anyway, I hope all goes well with you. Relying on your vehicle to make a living and then questioning its reliability is additional unnecessary stress. I look forward to hearing from you with a solid, first hand comparison. You sound very reasonable and objective.

Kennedy
06-06-2003, 07:56
I'm not sure if I mentioned it to you or another member, but Parks Chevrolet in Charlotte is where I'd send you to get things back on track. Talk to John Beardsley.

Why would you want to go to an engine (6.0) that is prone to have a seemingly higher instance of occurrence of some of the same symptoms as the one that you have? At least GM has a fix for theirs. It's quite often the incompetence of the "technician" performing the work that leads to many repeat problems in these trucks...

hoot
06-06-2003, 08:39
JK,

His truck is gone.
He bought a Dodge.

[quote]To make a long story short, four days after I picked up my

DMAX Daddy
06-06-2003, 09:29
One of my troops had almost the identical problems with his new Ford 6. Teething pains is all. The engine has lunched on him twice now....

I need to look at the new Cummins engine closer. We use Cummins engines in our stationary diesels (QST30 liter up to the QSK60 liter) and fuel delivery systems have always been fine. Next factory trip Im going to grab a truck tech and go check the new HO out.

Enjoy your new truck!

Amianthus
06-06-2003, 10:29
It's too bad that you had to go that route with your truck. I don't like to see anyone get taken to the cleaners for this much money.

I am quite sure that you'll be super satisfied with your new purchase as the Cummins engine is arguably, the best engine in a LD pickup. (Not that the Dmax is bad at all. The GM sells itself on other things that the Ram simply cannot.)

My advice to you is find a good dealer and stick with them. A good service tech is worth his weight in gold for sure (I always bring in a few 12-packs of soda for them). As is almost obvious in this case, any dealer tech that is incompetent, regardless of the employer, will contribute to a product's demise.

I wish you the best of luck with your new truck. I think you'll be very happy with it. BTW, stop by the TDR if you ever have a question.

1BADDMAX
06-06-2003, 13:09
redneckcowdoctor,

At least Jim Cook Chevy helped you out. That is where I bought my truck. I hope you have good luck with whatever you choose in the future.

dmaxalliTech
06-06-2003, 16:33
Amainthus, You could stop by anytime with those 12 packs. I dont know about the worth your weight in gold thing though. I would be a whole lotta gold! ;)

glclary
06-06-2003, 17:50
RNCowdoctor, Greetings from down the road.
Good luck on your Dodge. Keep us posted.

Have a good weekend

[ 06-07-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: glclary ]