PDA

View Full Version : Stollen D-MAX

Wont Goof Again
05-19-2002, 18:32
Well, being the first long weekend, we loaded the D-MAX, hooked up the travel trailer, and set off to Montreal. As usual, the D-MAX never let us down. However...

Saturday morning, we went to do some touristy things and when we were returning to where we had parked the D-MAX, we saw it pull out of the parking space and drive away (couldn't see who was driving though).

Only 2 keys ever existed for this vehicle: the one my wife has and the one that I have (yes, both of us still have our keys)!

I thought these vehicles were suppose to have some sort of security system whereby they just won't run if you don't have the key in the ignition??? Given that we saw it drive away, someone got it running without the key... How could this happen??? I thought this vehicle was at least moderately secure, but obviously I was wrong...

A former D-MAX owner,
Paul :(

tysmith
05-19-2002, 18:51
That is a real kick in the shorts.

Who does that? :mad: Find the no good piece of trash and cut his hands off. Chances are, he wouldn't steal again...

What's she look like? There's enough people around that maybe someone from the board will spot a new Dmax running around their neighborhood.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Ty

NutNbutGMC
05-19-2002, 18:54
^...Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I wish it had of been mine. 2003's are due out soon. Insurance is the "key". :D

GMC designed the security system to keep honest people from stealing the machine. Real thieves didn't have a problem lifting the Duramax.

Wont Goof Again
05-19-2002, 19:03
That's what I'm beginning to think... keep the honest people honest, but don't try to actually keep the theives from getting them!

FYI. She was a:

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
4x4, Duramax/Allison LS Model, short box
Licence: NOTA TOY (Ontario plates)
Forest Green,
Step bars,
GM folding tonneau cover,
Lucerix mirrors,
Huskey mudflaps

NutNbutGMC
05-19-2002, 19:13
^...Bottom line, as with anything... where there is a will, there is a way... Good luck on the replacement component. Maybe you'll secure a newer model. smile.gif

TimofCharlotte
05-19-2002, 19:16
That is a damn shame. Most of us have had something stolen to know how it feels. I hope there was nothing inside of any sentimental value that can't be replaced.
I sold my brother a 89 C1500 ExtCab when I bought my D/A, and he started checking stats. It got me kinda paranoid when he found that the Chev Silverado was among the top 1 to 2 vehicles nationwide that theives like to steal.
I guess, I'd like to at least think theives have better taste, not that the Chev/GMC is just easier to steal.
Regardless, he convinced me to buy a Club, which does seem to be another deterrent, but someone has told me theives will just cut the wheel to be able to steer. Double damn it.
Ok, so he went so far as to put 2 hidden switches on the car, one disables the starter and the other disables the ignition. The ignition one seems to make sense, as someone would just think they're having trouble starting it. Didn't cost much to put that switch in, but you could probably do it yourself with a little looking.

Good luck, sorry to drag this out, but wanted to say alot.
:D

mackin
05-19-2002, 20:35
Feel sorry for your lose .......Hope your insurance takes care of it ..... And you do not take a beating ......

I Sure do no what it feels like, I'm sure we all got one but this one really sucked........ Had my 1993 k3500 6.5 stolen right out of my drive way ....... SUCKS ......... Had all kinds of personal belongings to ......... Pictures of cars and trucks I owned ....... Irreplaceable ........ Plus the worst LOADED GUN IN THE MAP POCKET ....... :eek: :eek: Call me irresponsible, but had to respond to an alarm at business real late, on a Sunday night, tired and forgot to bring it in house, no excuse ..... Who would have thought in My drive way ....... Legally I was OK private property ....... Didn't loose permit to carry ....... It was recovered (gun) not truck ....... They got screwed ........ Yes, a crime was involved ........ No one got hurt, thank goodness ......A lot more to the story, but I'll end it here .... See me at the NE meeting ...... Anyway 93 was first year of 6.5 and were hard to get ......Dito on the D-MAX, parting out will get them big bucks too .... So does this mean more will be takin? There goes our insurance premiums ....... Hope not ....
MAC

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
05-19-2002, 20:42
^...on the lighter side... Look for your stolen truck on flea-bay.... Mack Daddy will be a front row bidder, lookin' for back-up juice parts and a new tranny...LMAO... :D

Allison Jettester
05-20-2002, 08:00
Sorry for your loss. Have you tried the Onstar locator system? GM is supposed to be able to locate your truck via satellite.

Joe

konacat
05-20-2002, 11:15
Sorry to hear the new about your Dmax. In the past I have always put a hidden kill switch on all my trucks. That way the only way to steal the truck is to tow it away. I have been debating what to do with my Dmax, as the kill switch option is not possible. Your situation has made me make a decision in that regards. I guess that I will put a hidden fuel shutoff. If the hidden switch it not applied then it will activate a relay to close the fuel supply. The thief would then again have to tow it away if they want it.

Cancerman
05-20-2002, 12:00
I have OnStar and a Clifford Alarm System.
This is still no guarantee that the truck will not be stolen!
At least I have done as much as possible to slow them down.
Hope your insurance makes it right for you!

Wont Goof Again
05-20-2002, 17:31
Unfortunately it didn't have OnStar given that it was an LS model. I don't know if it is true or a bunch of BS, but someone was telling me that thieves will cover the broadcasting antena with a lead apron to effectively prevent OnStar from being able to locate or control the vehicle...

Guess I will find out what the insurance company is ready to do tomorrow (today was a holiday in Canada - Victoria Day).

Paul

midwestdmax29
05-20-2002, 17:55
Try a rottweiler in the back seat. Sorry, just trying to lighten things up. I actually had someone get past mine on the way into my house. Nice 140 lb doormat. It sucks when someone gets their hands on your stuff. Good luck picking out your new max!

Redhawk
05-21-2002, 14:21
Sorry to hear about your loss. If the thief really wants your vehicle there's really not much you can do about it. I personally think a hidden fuel shutoff valve is the best option, short of sleeping in your truck. They might get it started, but it will probably run out of fuel at a very inconvenient place for the thief. The cops told me about this remedy and said that the thief will usually bail and take something easier to steal.