PDA

View Full Version : diesel in fuel????

MIKE MOG
08-17-2005, 16:53
I read in one of the posts about someone checking for diesel in the fuel by pulling the dip stick and dapping it on a white napkin to see if the oil spreads. I did this tonight and the oil spread about an 8th of an inch wider than the stick. Dose this mean I have diesel in the oil? The Truck runs fine with no misfires.
Mike

D-max Man
08-17-2005, 18:33
If you have fuel in the oil, you will see 2 rings. The inner, darker ring is oil and the outer, lighter ring is fuel.

If you only see one - you are good to go.

Zapper
08-22-2005, 10:32
I noticed my truck was about 1/2 quart over recently, after a trip to see my folks in Tenn. I did the test and had 2 rings. I watched the dipstick closely for another 1000 miles until it was time for a change, it never increased anymore. I've never had any of the other symptoms of injector failure with my truck. As for now just waiting and watching.

oyazi
08-22-2005, 14:30
Zap ~ been struggling w/the same thing. Can't smellit can't seeit (rings nor on the 'rope' surely the cable wicks it to a higher indication anyway ~ which is reason to assure it registers squarely on the dong?) guess I donno what I'm doing.

I did extract oil after it sat overnite down to about half way (approx a pint) between add/full. It (any change) is easier to see that way. I had noticed that after shutdown, its at the add (lower) mark and the next morn its midway again.I also place the flat side of the dong toward the eng for consistancy of read. I suppose that there is a extended drain down as there must be oil filled passages that take a long time to drain down ~ possibly the piston coolage circuit. Like yourself, now that I got it benchmarked ~ will watch it like a hawk.
My 'perceived'symptom is lower pressure (18Kmiles so may be breaking in) and seems more rpm sensitive/reactive than before ~ I think. (The last oil change was done by the dealer and they may have overfilled due to the slow settling characteristics of the Dmax ~ the level, near as I could tell was 3/4" up the cable) So, because I donno exactly what I'm doing I sent off a sample for analysis UOA today. But the time spent and expense of running around, getting test kit and paying UPS charges etc, might have been better to have paid the dealer the deductible to pat me on the shoulder and say 'there, there. You just worry too much'.

[ 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: oyazi ]