PDA

View Full Version : Playing with JUICE .... OH OH.... SES

motovet
05-19-2002, 20:24
Well only had the box in a couple of days now and the performance is nothing short of mind blowing. First time out the tranny acted real goofy; shifted late and hard, and seemed to have a surge to it while pulling each gear. Tried the 50mph shift to first three times thing and drove it a bit more. It did improve some but still felt strange. Well today I thought I would try and teach that tranny a lesson so I was driving it pretty hard. Found a nice stretch and gave it some JUICE, as it was pulling hard in 5th it suddenly powered down and went to 4th, SES light came on. Never did shift back to 5th all the way home. When I tried to pull away from a stop sign just before my house the truck would barely move, felt like it was slipping. When I parked the truck in the driveway I shut it down and restarted to see if the light was still on which it was, went for reverse, and nothing, the indicator was blinking and no engagement. Shut it down again and the tranny seemed ok, but SES still on. Any ideas?

mackin
05-19-2002, 20:49
It went LIMP, that's what she ....
It (ses) will go away ......... Hoot can explain others too, he explained it to me in case I ran into that problem ..... I haven't had it happen yet ........ But I haven't upgraded either ...... It's the built in safety mechanism in the Allison. It detected a slip ...... LIMP it went ....... Stop trying to teach IT a lesson ...... Who taught WHO ?...... As JK said, moderation will be your friend , in some instances .........

MAC :D

PEANUTGRWR
05-19-2002, 20:55
MACKIN, I HAVE HAD MY TRUCK SET CODES WHEN IM PULLING IT HARD WITH PROPANE AND THE DYNOMITE BOX AS WELL AND IT NEVER ACTED LIKE MOTOVETS TRUCK MINE WOULDNT REV OVER 2000 RPM FOR A SHORT WHILE THEN THE SES WOULD GO OFF AND ALL WAS NORMAL. ARE YOU SURE THIS IS NORMAL OF HIS TRUCK????

motovet
05-19-2002, 23:59
Well I took the truck for another drive and all seemed ok, though the SES light is still lit. Still getting a surge feeling which may be contributed to the funny shifts. I am now getting 5th gear and good engagement from a dead stop. Was that what limp mode is like? Why no 5th? And what about the slippage and the selector light flashing with no engagement?

Maverick
05-20-2002, 01:17
I can get the gear selector to flash. During the plowing season if I shift from D to R or R to D to fast it won't engage (acts like it in N) and will blink till I do it again. Its only done it a dozen times or so. I also had the N safety tranny gizmo replaced on mine. Mine didn't set any codes when I ran it down the track. I hope it stays that way.

mackin
05-20-2002, 03:57
Well Peanut,

Normal, I would say no way ... But from what I gather he went limp .? That was his problem'o as it appeared and he described . No expert, but one can through other codes and get an SES, as you are aware of ..... Fuel pressure fault, over boost,etc...... Right there MR. Planters ? :D Hey do you have to put sodium on them plants to get salty peanuts ? .......... LOL
MAC :D

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 08:14
Well, my guess is that it slipped 5th on a power shift. SAME thing mine does. I would assume it went ZING and revved up/neutralized?

Been working on the little surging/fishbite with Edge just like I said at RIV...

I should note that only certain (remember the individualistic comment?) will do the fishbite.

hoot
05-20-2002, 08:36
That's me. That's exactly what it does. On propane or any other power adder for that matter, it seems the shift into fifth under heavy throttle is a little tough for this thing to deal with. Maybe the shift is fine, just a little bit too much slip and bam, the signal is sent and to 3rd she drops.

motovet
05-20-2002, 14:05
Thanks John, that sums it up exactly! All those symptoms I had after the fact sound normal? Also can I assume the SES will go away and all is good? The surging you speak of would be the surge I feel when pulling a gear? And what is fishbite? Sorry for all the qustions but the whole deal has me a bit nervous.

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 15:24
Fishbite is a bit of a slang term used to describe a sensation similar to a fish tugging on a line. This symptom will appear in some trucks, but not others. Back to the individualistic thing. The latest box that I received is much better although not quite perfect.

I will go out on a limb and ASSUME the SES was a incorrect ratio error for 5th gear. My suggestion is to switch via the Tow/Haul button to a lower power level just prior to the 4-5 upshift. So far, it just seems as though it dislikes the full power shift, and that once aplied, it sticks sufficiently.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

midwestdmax29
05-20-2002, 17:43
My 01 did the same thing the first time I pulled my 5th wheel. I was slowing down at a stoplight, and it turned green, so at about 15 mph I thought I'd mash it. Next, I feel this slipping as the truck forgets to downshift to low, and bam, on comes the SES. I park the rig, shut it down, and cuss myself out for a couple minutes. When I start it back up, it is fine and within an hour the light shuts off. The next chance I got, I had the GM mechanic check it out and he attributed the SES to "incorrect gear selection" caused by me not giving the truck enough time to get used to the load. Moral of the story is "let the truck learn at it's own pace".
By the way, after that even with @27,000 gross the trans never missed a beat. Your's probably won't either.

midwest
05-20-2002, 19:11
The shift indicator blinking suggest to me something other than slip default.There has been several vehicles with the flashing shift indicator and it is the selector range switch on the side of the trans. This switch has been updated to included a vent tube. You should add a couple feet of hose to this vent and route it high.This switch is usually back ordred. The original switch would usually get moisture in it and cause gear tie up and really weird shifts. If the service light come on what was the code?

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 21:17
midwestdmax29,

There is supposed to be an update to help with the shift problem you described. It really wasnt your fault.

midwest is on the right track about the NSBU switch (I assume that is what he is referring to) being a problem. The reason for the backorder would likely be because Freightliner etc has an active campaign on this switch and is likely using up all of the stock. I believe that I have had mine flash too when this occurs. Problem is, it happens around 90 mph and Im usually too busy watching for cops :eek:

motovet
05-21-2002, 00:25
Out driving today and everything seems ok. SES light did go off as well. Shifting is a bit smoother, course I wasn't romping on it as much either. I believe I was aproaching 90 when this all happened so I guess I was hitting it a bit hard. This "fishbite" is the sensation I get when the truck pulls each gear. It seems I feel it more at the lower RPM range in each gear.