View Full Version : Amsoil Foam FIlter Oil Question

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 19:11
My Amsoil air filter is now clean and dry. How much
of the 8 oz bottle of oil should I be using to re-lubricate
the air filter. Thanks

imported_
06-07-2003, 19:17
I used a little under half of the bottle. I used to much as I pooled excess oil in the bottom of the housing. This resulted in a cleaning of the MAF.

I used a large turkey oven bag over the entire filter and worked the oil in. Use glove if you don't have a big enough bag.

56Nomad
06-07-2003, 19:21
I used a little under half of the bottle. I used to much as I pooled excess oil in the bottom of the housing.

Big Blue,

Does that mean that a little under half a bottle is too much? Maybe a 1/3 of the 8oz bottle?

What's the MAF?

[ 06-07-2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

imported_
06-07-2003, 19:42
MAF mass air flow, it is the little sensor in the air intake just ahead of the filter box. It can become oily if to much oil is used. Not a big deal to clean. Do a search for proper technique as I can't recall what I used to clean it. you don't want to wreck the little sucker as I think they are $$$ You need a special driver to get the screws out.

on edit

I found this from a previous post:

Gently rinse the MAF sensor back and forth inside a plastic bag filled with high proof alcohol. Use either 99% isopropyl alcohol or 180 Proof Everclear and not rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is 70% alcohol and 30% oil by volume. This added oil will damage the MAF. Sensor. Ask a local pharmacist or distiller if necessary.

I could have used 3oz without over oiling.

motovet
06-08-2003, 01:14
I used brake cleaner to clean the MAF and it worked fine. I also used to much oil, but when the AFE arrives that problem is eliminated. If I were to oil this filter again I would use Maxima FFT oil I use for my race bike filter available at most motorcycle dealers. The stuff starts out very thin so excess is easily removed, but as it sits for a while becomes very tacky. I took a chisel and hammer to the MAF screws, now a flat blade does the job. Just love these special fittings.

[ 06-08-2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: motovet ]