PDA

View Full Version : Straight Vegetable Oil as Fuel for DMax

FireMedic
08-18-2005, 11:58
A recent news story in the SF Bay area focused on this company http://www.plantdrive.com/ selling a kit to allow diesels to run on SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil).

Looking through old posts I only found one topic from 2002 that indicted it was not a good idea at that time.

Does anyone have any recent experience with SVO? Upside/Downside? I have over 110K on my 01 2500HD and with diesel over $3.00 a gallon here, free fuel sounds good, but do not want to ruin my DMax.

Craig M
08-18-2005, 14:18
From everything I have been reading SVO works fine for a diesel substitue in our vehicles. Biggest issue is filtering. Depending on where you get your "free" vegitable oil, a little or a lot of filtering may be required. Set up the second tank in your truck, add the switches and have some fun on SVO.

Tough Guy
08-18-2005, 17:50
There are many Power Strokes running this way.

Filtration and temperature are the key.

Cheers

newtorving
09-14-2005, 13:33
Craig, are you saying it is possible to run a 6.6 on PURE SVO?? My buddy and I have been talking about this, he got the number to a supplier who will sell new vegitable oil to us in 55 gallon drums. Will a 6.6 run on 100% clean vegetable oil??

Joe Duffiney
09-17-2005, 04:31
I have heard different comments on running heated oil thru the FICM could be bad. I am waiting to find out more about that before I try it.

Craig M
09-19-2005, 10:21
Hi newtourving. Yes it will run great, but as stated a second fuel tank is required. You start the truck on diesel. Once the engine is warmed up you switch to the veggy tank. Run it on veggy untill just before any long shutdown of the engine. Switch back to the diesel tank to purge out the veggy oil prior to shutdown.