PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

maytagman
08-19-2005, 16:23
Hello,
I just got my 2005 chevy D-max and wondered if it is good to run synthetic and what brand and weight. I always ran Mobil 1 in my avalanche. I haven't looked real hard, but I couldn't find a 15w40, only a 5w40 in synthetic. Is this ok? I live in Wisconsin and only pull a camper less than once a month. Also wondering how many quarts the 6.6 requires.

Thanks

markrinker
08-19-2005, 16:31
Many schools of thought on this one. I changed the 'factory' oil and filter once with a conventional 15/40 at 1000 miles.

I am now running Mobil 5/40 sythetic, switched at 6500 miles. I plan to run it as long as I own the truck.

LarryMann
08-19-2005, 16:42
There is a whole lot of info on this within the site if you do a search. I am running the same thing 5w40 in my d-max. Live in Az. so it is hotter here and not as cool. However I like the quick response from the 5w and the long term response from the 40. I would say that according to weight you are ok. However I am only a 6k mile Diesel owner so I can not say much other then it should work fine. As far as how much.... just pick up two 5qt jugs and that will work. The engine hold 10 qts.

MikeC
08-19-2005, 17:39
maytagman,

I run Rotella T Synthetic which is 5w40 in everything I own. That includes the push lawn mower right up through to the compact diesel tractor. I have not yet put it into my 05 Dmax as I want it to break in for about 10K.

My $.02

Mike

jbplock
08-20-2005, 04:40
[quote]Originally posted by maytagman:

k1rod
09-10-2005, 07:56
[quote]Originally posted by jbplock:
[b] [QUOTE] For example Mobil-1 products are made from Group IV PAO (

jbplock
09-10-2005, 08:23
Rod,

Thanks for the M1 Try-Syn info! ... I'll check it out ... (I also remember reading that AMSOIL had switched some of their products to Group III base stocks).

I've been using "vanila" M1 5w30 in my 04 Impala but have been thinking of switching to M1 T&SUV to get the better add-pack. If the 5w30 is a Group III/IV blend that will push me more to switch.

Do you know if the new M1 EP blends are Group IV PAO based?

smile.gif

[ 09-10-2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

jbplock
09-10-2005, 08:53
Rod,

Your inspiring me :D ...

Just took a quick look at www.Mobil1.com (http://www.Mobil1.com) ... The current M1 product guide refers to SuperSyn (no mention of TrySyn - another update?)
Heres a quote from the M1 FAQ's Page (http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx#FAQs1)

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application."

Hmmm... This

FleetFilter.com
09-12-2005, 17:48
Royal Purple makes an excellent synthetic - it's made here in Texas and you can find it everywhere down here.

I've been a faithful customer of there's for over six years.