PDA

View Full Version :

MAXed Out
05-21-2002, 11:27
Now that many of you have purchased the Edge Juice/BD EZ AMP, I was wondering...

Idaho Bassman
05-21-2002, 13:26
I would be interested in hearing about economy. Did mpg go up, down or stay the same?

alamovet
05-21-2002, 13:28
BD says that they have around two hundred edge boxes back ordered. Supposedly they've ordered five hundred from Edge, but I doubt that they will be getting close to that many any time soon. Depending upon who you talk to at BD, they are getting 30-50 boxes from edge per week. I think that BD distributors and others that sell the edge box are bascially in the same boat. So, it looks like it will be a while before supply meets demand. I'm sure that the price wars will begin when the inventory of the distributors is established. I've seen several posts from others in the forum stating prices from $700 to $850(BD's price).

However, when I do purchase mine I'm going to stick with a distributor that has good customer service, such as Kennedy, because like the VanAAken boxes, I'm sure that these will have their quirks. In addition to customer service/support, I'll gladly pay an extra fifty bucks, etc. to a distributor that spends time on this forum to help solve problems, increase knowledge, etc. I believe that we should do all we can to support the small businesses out there.

Just something to consider when you do purchase your box.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]</p>

mackin
05-21-2002, 16:03
Idaho Bassman,

Economy numbers . That's going to be a tough one to get for a while it's tough not to bear down on the right foot ...... I did best I could on a 1/2 tank got 15.3 MPG mixed driving ....... That was an increase, but I was driving MELLOW, so I probably would have gotten the same without ...... I'll keep saying the same thing about Mpg's no two are the same. Terrain and Driving habits. Are what it's about ....... I talked to a guy said he was getting 20 mpg empty , 14 and change towing, I think he said a 27' trailer .... In a truck identical to mine but an 02 ....... Said he knows all the little tricks, cruise control, said a couple others, cannot remember ...... I gave him the URL here so hopefully he'll jump in ....... He drives tractor trailer for a living ...... You out there ? ....... Come'on back ....... LOL In My best CB impression ...... tongue.gif

Now "INCOMING" LOL tongue.gif

MR. JK (I want to be respectful here my last chance ......)

You need a bigger banner ......... Some do not see you up there and visit your web page ........

But that's not my question ...... How come your web page (see I visit) Says
90 Hp and 230 lbs ft? Not 250 FT Lbs. TQ .........

Wazzup with that?

BD's banner says 90/250 ...... No, I haven't been smoking "NUTTIN" , nor drinking "NUTTIN" . Neither....... I'm in rehab ....... tongue.gif Till the mourning .......
MAC .
:rolleyes:

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

stevem
05-21-2002, 19:46
MAXed Out.

I got my Juice direct from Edge.
$850 delivered.
Ordered 5-17-02, received 5-20-02.
Worth every penny, lovin it :D smile.gif :D

Steve.

SUNBUM32
05-21-2002, 20:03
I talked to Edge today 5/21/02 and he told me I had to get it from a dealer. He said they were not selling direct. FYI.

Kennedy
05-21-2002, 22:40
Economy:

The best economy will likely come on setting 1. This setting has the lowest additional fuel delivery, and the same timing curves as the others. Im not quite convinced that cruise is as good as it could be in our trucks. On the rolling hills, mine will pull up, overshoot at the top, then coast down to 1-2mph below set speed only to start again. Of course with the box on, this can be amplified. One thing in fairness to GM is that I have 4-5% taller tires...

Mackin,

I need a new banner ad, but graphic artists are so hard to come by AND all think they can command lawyer-like dollar figures. :rolleyes: My current banner was designed around the 6.5 diesel. As for the module ad on my site, all I can say is that it was taken (with permission as a BD dealer) from their site, and is what was posted at the time. At the moment, the only supply I can seem to get ahold of is Juice, so the listing will likely change or become a dual listing for AMP/JUICE and indicate labeled as available. There's actually quite a lot I should have up on my site, but have not yet gotten to...

You're gonna be impressed with the updated box GAAR-ROWN-TEED...

MAXed Out
05-23-2002, 10:59
Everyone,

Thanks for the posts. Keep them coming. I'm betting there will be a lot of Juiced/AMPed duramaxes when production meets demand.

Maverick — Good to see the box is being discounted already! Is Jeff selling the Juice or AMP?

MAXed Out
05-23-2002, 11:00
Everyone,

Thanks for the posts. Keep them coming. I'm betting there will be a lot of Juiced/AMPed duramaxes when production meets demand.

Maverick — Good to see the box is being discounted already! Is Jeff selling the Juice or AMP?

Maverick
05-23-2002, 12:08
Edge Juice Box

Idahobidcaller
05-24-2002, 10:56
I heard from a dealer that the Juice Box has been recalled for now. New units coming soon, anyone know for sure? I have had no reply from Edge. :confused:
I just got a call from THE tech at Edge Products, there is no recall. Good to hear, and wow! they called me personally to stave off my fears. that is a good note for the future, a company that knows we are just humans out here. Good for them and probably good for us!

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Idahobidcaller ]</p>

pepperidge
05-27-2002, 17:01
this topic needs more answers

thanks

pullinpower
05-27-2002, 18:10
I would like to know more also :D Jk is the fishbite problem on the new units?

mackin
05-27-2002, 19:27
One of them guys up there in the 49Th state posted the best price I seen yet here ........ But it's gone ........ :rolleyes: I tried to rehash it to no avail ......... What you gonna do ....... Sometimes you only get one swing at things like that ......... So batter up .......... Swing batter ....... Swing ....... When you get the chance ....... Those who procrastinate sometimes strike out .......... In this case pay a kings ransom ......... $849 "OUCH"

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pullinpower
05-27-2002, 19:36
Naw im not going to pay that for it ;) best price I have seen is $689.

mackin
05-27-2002, 20:01
pullinpower ,

Yup, that be 'da' one ............You'all better share with your fellow brotha's ......... Well, the one's that are asking...... I knew I, wasn't the only one to see it .........I already got a spare ....... I'm going to help a local get "JUICED" ...........

MAC
:D :D

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

csimo
05-30-2002, 10:21
Pullinpower... where can one buy the Juice for $689??

Everybody seems to want $850 for them.

More Power
05-30-2002, 10:59
It has been our experience that the low-buck prices on products you see in forums come from panhandlers. A panhandler is someone who has no investment in advertising, in business infrastructure, in inventory, or in relationships with either the consumer or the bulletin boards they abuse.

Recent panhandlers have changed their tactics to avoid the "letter of the law" (so to speak), in avoiding the wording in our forum registration agreement. Everyone, including those vendors who support you the consumer as well as bulletin boards must all play by the same bulletin board registration agreement.

We've had panhandlers change their forum email address to avoid answering specific questions about their activity. Panhandling is not allowed here. However, all are invited to play by the same rules every other legitimate DP advertiser must abide by.

MP

xwing
05-30-2002, 12:08
If it can be had for $689 from some suppliers, they aren't selling for free. Clearly they are making some profit at $689...

Therefore, if others sell for $850, THEY are making at least $200+ per unit for getting it from BD or Edge, and mailing it to a person.

Pretty good work, if you can get it ;)
like in all things, lack of competition leads to highest prices. In gas stations, it is illegal to have everybody the same on purpose...called "collusion" or some such.

Oh well, who should I send a half week's pay to for 5 minutes of "work"?... smile.gif
(feel free to insert how much $200+ is in YOUR daily job)

AzKevin
05-30-2002, 13:44
The old trickle down effect. One company creates the product and deserves the lions share of the money to cover research and development, equipment, medical costs, retirement expenses, support, distribution, etc.

The middle man gets a percentage to cover advertising, medical costs, retirement, distribution, support, etc.

In general so called "panhandler" are there to keep cost to the consumer fair. With regard to this website of course they need to abided by the website rules.

In theory internet business to consumer sales is supposed to rid waste and cost overlap and thereby pass the savings on to the consumer.

A false economy can occur for a while but market forces inevitably take over. It's the American way! May the big guy in the sky continue to bless America! ;)

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

AzKevin
05-30-2002, 13:46
xwing,

It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep! ;)

pepperidge
05-30-2002, 14:09
pullinpower,

please e-mail me with a phone # for the dealer

pepperidge@bigfoot.com

Thanks

Pepperidge

as for the powers that be...

I thought the price of $689 was not advertised by the supplier (which would have been a violation of TDP's policies) but provided by word of mouth by members trying to help each other out. I thought that this was what this site was all about. People helping people.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

Kennedy
05-30-2002, 14:16
Let's see how well the pan handler does with service after the sale...

csimo
05-30-2002, 14:21
Message removed by poster.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: csimo ]</p>

ALLIMAX
05-30-2002, 14:49
I can't believe that people are worried about a few bucks on the edge products when they spent over 40K for their truck. I got mine from Kennedy and paid a little more than what some are advertised for but I think it was well worth it for the service and knowledge that go along with the sale. I am not one who goes around and picks all the experts brains and then runs to the cheapest priced outlet. We get a lot of advise for free on this forum and the least we could do is support those who keep this thing going.

mark45678
05-30-2002, 15:03
For those of you that have not at least talked to JK on the phone you at least owe it to your self to call and see for your self !!!!He know what he is talking about and has very sound advice if your willing to listen! There are many who will be willing to sell stuff like MR&gt;A-1 but what sence does a adjustable fsd resitor make if you have to do a relearn every time you change it???? this Is just MY opinion and you can form your own! smile.gif

George Gozelski
05-30-2002, 15:24
Hey J. Kennedy, I been reading "other" places that the EZ-AMP has been having some minor bugs that may/are getting worked out. Could you give us a run down on other boxes such as the Duramaximizer?

mackin
05-30-2002, 15:52
WOW !!!!!!!!!

Glad I'm not part of this ......... ;)

No disrespect but I thought "PAN HANDLERS" were the bums at the train station bugging me for my NICKELS AND DIMES ....... HHMMM you learn something everyday..... It sorta relates ........

I do see the need for after the sale support in some cases . If it was needed, then the premium paid to an individual such as JK would warrant the additional revenue for sure ....... So if your not the gambling type or you like the easy street then this is the way to go ....... No doubt about it, 100%......

Me (SORRY) I'm a gambler, and even millionaires, which I'm not even in there league, bargain shop .....
The issue I have is ,the manufacture, I believe, has to stand behind there product, they do offer a manufactories warranty 1 year ......But at what cost? That is the million dollar question ...... Get all the facts that's all ...... ASK,ASK,and ASK some more ....... The old what if coiner ...... Can you send the box back direct? Edge even has a forum to address trouble shooting .....Haven't yet seen them ask where did you buy the box and for how much ..... So hey it's up to you ....... I truly would support this site all I could,after all this is the best I've seen ... But at what cost ....... I'd (personally) would pay a heavier bounty to post and be a member if one could use this power in purchasing ........Most forums allow group purchasing, it, well, I've been told, works .. ;) .. Just my opinion, no offense please ...... I'll go with the flow and the respect the managment and support staff ......... I can be a YES SIR man or a PR**K , depends on the circumstance........Here I want to play nice "E" nice ........
MAC

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CntrlCalDmax
05-30-2002, 16:24
After purchasing a couple of upgrade items from John Kennedy, 4" exhaust and an exhaust brake, I can say I would rather pay a little more than the rock bottom cheapest, to have the after purchase support offered by those with experiance like JK. It is hard to find someone willing to help like John, even if it doesn't end in a product sale. Hopefully those who purchase the "boxes" won't need after sale support, but you never know...

csimo
05-30-2002, 16:43
Those of you willing to pay extra for "help" or "tech support" or because someone's a nice guy... that's fine with me and I don't berate you for it. I respect your opinion.

Yes I have a $40K truck, but I didn't overpay for it either. Some of you saying "what's a couple of hundred bucks" are undoubtedly the same people that haggled with the dealer for the best deal on the truck.

I respect your opinion, and afford me the same right to my opinions.

AzKevin
05-30-2002, 16:43
With regard to the Juice... Edge has a bulletin board, an 800# for support, and warrantees it. That's all I need! ;)

AzKevin
05-30-2002, 16:51
I purchased my truck online and it was a rewarding experience. I knew exactly what I wanted and I didn't need the assistance of a salesperson. I gave the requirements online and received the price by email. The dealer rewarded me with a great price! ;)

MAXed Out
05-30-2002, 17:04
O.k.,

I'm re-thinking the topic I started. Perhaps, "Best Support & Price on Juice/AMP".

Many fine points have been raised as is usual from the passionate members of The Diesel Page!

Let me add that I often like to patronize local businesses here in Reno (Summit Racing, Autozone, Custom Trucks, etc.) for my truck parts and accessories which contributes to my local economy. Yes — I can resist the internet non-sales tax and free shipping temptations, like 50

Joe.G
05-30-2002, 17:25
MAXed Out
You like Auto Zone? OK, you get what you pay for, parts are rated as 1st line, 2nd line and 3rd line, do you know what you're getting? Ask before you buy, this is just a tip.

Jake99Z71
05-30-2002, 17:54
I would like to chime in on all aftermarket products for our trucks not just the Juice. Just because we all drive a $40K truck doesn't mean we shouldn't shop around and get the best deal we can on any aftermarket product for our trucks. I know that everyone just didn't walk into the nearest dealer and buy the first truck they saw at sticker price. I'm sure not going to buy any aftermarket product for my truck without shopping around just like I did with my truck. I will support the vendors of this page if they have competitive prices.

madmax7
05-30-2002, 18:23
Allimax- No disrespect meant, but WE keep this forum going also. I don't know about you , but I paid for my membership. The forum has chosen to also create revenue by allowing advertising.

I am surprised that this thread has been allowed to continue....
It was made very clear to me that commercial discussions are not to take place on this forum per the registration agreement. I choose to accept those terms.
I also think that there are many good suppliers out there, very capable and willing to support the products, not to mention the manufacturers. My recent direct dealings with a problem at BD, left me very comfortable with there level of service. From the sounds of it, Edge is the same way.

This is not to discount the value of the services or expertise offered by the advertisers here though.

Tader Jack
05-30-2002, 19:03
OK . . . Question.

If I have a problem with the Edge/Juice or anyone else's box for that matter, who would I call. I don't think I would call the dealer because he would not know what to do or would he? The only thing they could do is offer an exhange. But, 6 months later who do you call? The mfgr. would have the tech support and answers, etc. Heck, the dealer could be history by then.

And, why should you need tech support with any of these boxes? Are they that tough to operate or get good consistent performance from? Or are they still having problems with them that need to be addressed? Or aren't they really ready yet?

I've had chips, Power Programmers, black boxes, etc., all sorts of stuff on various vehicles over the years and rarely needed any support. If I did, it was the manufacturer I contacted, not who I purchased from.

Is here something here that I'm missing?

pepperidge
05-30-2002, 19:23
Jack,

quote : Is here something here that I'm missing?

yes, the "T" in the word there ;) LOL

I just don't see the big deal about us helping one another find the best prices on products. If service after the sale is an issue then I will buy from the advertisers. But I believe edge will warrant the box even if not purchased from a TDP advertiser. Competition is a great thing, and sometimes companies can price themselves right out of business. Just my .02 . Let freedom ring!!!

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

Kennedy
05-30-2002, 19:46
When the final revision of software comes out and there are hundreds, if not thousands of these out and guys want updates, how do you think poor Aaron is going to keep up? He's gonna rely on his distribution network.

Does GM do warranty service on your trucks, or does the dealer???

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-30-2002, 20:16
Well..........

I read all of the posts and I will tell you that when I shop, everything is negotiable!!!!
Sometimes all you have to do is drop a subtle hint and you may be able to save some $$$$$$.
When I bought my truck accessories I shopped the prices online and locally. Yes I paid slightly more for what I bought locally, but in the end when I had a minor problem with an item the store exchanged it for me NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!
Had I saved a few dollars ordering mail order I would have been shipping the item back and waiting for a new one, don't have the time or patience for that nonsense!
I place a premium on my personal service to my customers and I expect the same when I deal with a person or company whether local or not.
In the case of the edge box, no offense to anyone here, but if a dealer prices it the same as the company I will buy from the dealer so someone else has a chance to make a living too.But, if the dealer is much higher then the mighty dollar wins!!!

Just my .02

GMC :eek:

pepperidge
05-30-2002, 20:27
JK

I'm not saying people should just buy because of price, but how much profit is a fair profit.
I distribute Pepperidge Farm cookies and when we come out with a new popular item we don't jack up the prices because it's hot. Heck, I don't even know what your price is. I made no reference to your establishment being over priced or anyone's for that matter. And I'm not ruling out purchasing from you. We've all told one another the best prices on nerf bars etc... I just can't stand it when the establishment steps in and tries to take away our ability to help one another find the best deal. In fairness to whomever is discounting this box, they are not scum or leaches like the term panhandler would suggest. Just honest businessmen willing to make a little less profit in order to earn someones business. By the way I do take my vehicle in for service at my selling dealer, the one I paid $150 over invoice to... It's the closest one, and they are a bunch of morons. I might just take it an extra 10 miles and have it serviced elsewhere. That's GM's service policy.
get it worked on by any dealer. Customer satisfaction is the key here. Maybe Edge won't go that extra mile. In my business I give credit to cutomers that eat half a bag and then decide they didn't like something about it, no questions asked! You are a real asset to this forum and I don't believe anyone was trying to direct anything at you in particular, just trying to help one another out. just my .02

big dipper
05-30-2002, 20:43
Hey JK,
What was your dyno results at the Rendevous? Almost insane, seems you really do your homework.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

mackin
05-30-2002, 20:46
poor Aaron,

That's a good one ...

Answer ..... He isn't going to be able ........

This is an open forum make your own choice's......
Now doubt about it there is pros and cons to each way you pick ..... I think what we need to do is work somehow on a fair and open dialog on these subjects ..... The JURY is in no one is getting one under $700 ...... So it's not a $200 dollar deference ....... So if "YOU" want JK'S after the sale service should call him and get one ...... Period ....... Swindle him on the freight and ya cannot complain ....... ;) How much is freight out of ALASKA ?
Answer. A lot ...... Sled dog's are union up there ........

We all got to eat .......

Hey I work on my own truck ..... TA .... DA ........Well, the simple stuff ........ If it isn't free at the STEALER, I should say ..... Not to stir the pot but there is going to be a special cable that can be purchased so the public can download software and upgrade yourself, "CHA CHING" of course ....... So I'll be expecting some calls ........ Just kidding ....... No really, I'm kidding .......

MAC

:D tongue.gif

Kennedy
05-31-2002, 07:49
For the record, I have not seen ANY dealer pricing in excess of MSRP. On the contrary, a $50 discount seems to be the going rate.

I think what MP was trying to say is that there are some individuals that are trying to break into the market, and out to sell at cut rate prices. Selling at this rate does not afford one to advertise, so the result is covert actions to solicit sales behind the scenes. To top it off, MANY of these people have NO diesel background, or are in completely unrelated businesses.

AzKevin
05-31-2002, 10:26
JK,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is way out of my area and I can only wonder if advertising costs here are sold with the hope of there being a captive audience. It's unfortunate if that's the case. Not wanting to stir the powers that be it's best to leave that one as a rhetorical thought.

Behind the scenes or covert sales will always happen when distributors are allowed to purchase in bulk and pass the savings to the consumer. The private mail message system would only optimize this underground system, no wonder it's not enabled! ;)

You happen to be a full service broker which appeals to some, however discount brokers appeal to the masses. Here's a trial balloon...

You know better than I but it seems one could create 2 price structures. A discounted price structure could discount prices for online transactions with an assumed virtual group discount of 2 to 5 purchases, be supported by canned emails, and a non 800# for long distance calls.

The current price structure could be for those that want more support, you could take time to answer detailed emails, and provide an 800# for long distance calls. With your solid following it would seem you could even sell a JK annual membership that would have a member # etc.

Also, I'd like to volunteer for the JK fan club president position! :D

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

More Power
05-31-2002, 11:43
We'll leave it on this note....

Any dealer who agrees to abide by the forum registration agreement and a separate advertising agreement can buy ad space here in The Diesel Page. Then, that dealer can participate in these forums by answering questions or by providing content. How often that dealer posts is up to him/her, as long as the rules are followed.

You can see how many DP advertises there are by visiting: http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm

Otherwise, panhandlers will get one (and only one)polite email about why their post was deleted.

MP