PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Flow Engineering Filters

alamovet
05-21-2002, 14:43
Does anyone out there know anything about Advanced Flow Engineering Filters? I was looking at their stage II induction kit but am apprehensive about the filter. I didn't buy the K&N aircharger system because of concerns about their filters.

It looks as though the AFE filter is another oil wetted gauze type? Is it any better at filtering than the K&N?

Thanks

mackin
05-21-2002, 15:16
alamovet,

It is really a spin off of the KN filter ....... As I was told and "SEEN" it was a looked over KN guy who started his own gig .........
Looks just just like it, with a few changes like color ........ :D

MAC :D

alamovet
05-21-2002, 15:17
Mackin,

Thought so, thanks for the reply!

madmax7
05-21-2002, 21:03
The AFE filter has more depth and pleats than the K&N resulting in more filtration surface area.

If the gauze is the same pore structure as in the K&N then it will filter slightly better and you will see more flow (or less pressure drop).

Usually a filter manufacturer has a particle retention spec they try to meet, so I would speculate that they went to a tighter pore structure for better dirt handling with similar air flow to high flow filters. I don't know.

I'm not sure which way to go so far. I have a K&N now. I don't know if it is the best or not- I don't see any signs of particle migration, and the efficiency of the filter goes up over time. The only thing that could cause particle migration through a filter structure would be pulsed flow or vibration.

I am also not into Amway style sales.... ;)

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: madmax7 ]</p>

mackin
05-21-2002, 21:13
madmax7 ,

Hey that's a blow below the belt .........LOL

Quote:"I am also not into Amway style sales" :end

That's what chevyhdman(Bill) says ...... His next line is "AN OILED DOWN COUCH CUSHION "....... Now I even think that is funny ......LOL

It's true about the over looked K&N guy is the developer ..... I was party to a conversation ...... Is it better who knows for a Q-TIP ........

MAC

tongue.gif

JrTuner
05-21-2002, 21:13
For everyone who bashes K&N, have you actually looked at their AirCharger kit for the Duramax? It is not your typical "cone" filter that you would put on your car. First thing is that it has a solid metal end cap with a provision for the filtration gauge. The second thing is that the depth of the pleats is about three times that of a standard "cone" filter. Hence giving this filter a lot more filtration area. The part number for just the filter, as listed on the instruction sheet, doesn't exist in their catalog. It is as if the made a diesel specific air filter. So don't believe everything you read. A lot of money is spent in R&D by this aftermarket companies to produce a product that is superior to the stock pieces. Why to you think a piece of plastic and a cotton gauze filter cost so much? I have yet to do my first oil analisys but i will sure let everyone know what it is. The stock replacement filter is a diiferent story. My opinion is that they are a waste of money since the flow restriction is the box and the tube.