PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

Very Old Dog
06-09-2003, 16:50
Question about the oil pressure guage. Is suppose to fluctuate and from what points on the guage does it move from idle to cruising speed? Thanks

jbplock
06-10-2003, 08:57
With the engine cold, my oil pressure is between 60psi at idle to 100 psi at 50 MPH and greater. After the engine warms up it ranges from 30psi at idle to 65psi at 70MPH. smile.gif

DinoMax
06-10-2003, 10:22
Old Dog, once my truck reaches operating temp, my oil pressure is 40 at idle. Any movement on the go pedal, and pressure goes up immediately. Light acceleration or a steady cruising speed moves it somewhere between 60 & 70, and if I get on it, it will peg the gauge @ 80. Only 19K miles on the truck, but it has always been this way smile.gif

Joe.G
06-10-2003, 17:38
Drive it,it's normal, mine has 90,000 miles on it and I can assure you that it's normal.

Very Old Dog
06-11-2003, 05:16
Thanks for your responses. I became alert to this because it seemed that the guage did not move over 60 range. Then one morning on a first start out of the garage it peaked to the large hash marker before the top hash marker. No numerical identifier. My guage has 60 in the middle and 120 on the high end. There is a large hash marker in between which I assume must be about 90. Mine runs similar to JBPLOCK post above and quickly resumes operation from low to 60 after running to warm engine temperatures. The funny thing about this is that I just noticed this a few days ago after putting on 3000 miles on the truck. What I thought I observed prior to this was a low to 60 operation regardless of the temperature of the engine. So I was wondering what the experience of the other users would be. Or, whether this was a faulty snsor, guage, or symptoms of another issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Ed

peachin
06-11-2003, 05:41
I have noticed that the type of oil will make a difference. In my opinion - MY OPINION - a better quality oil will not go down as low a lesser quality - but the high end on a cold engine will always be there. Oil pressure is a great indicator that your engine is warmed up -
I personally will not push a cold engine - I am currently using Rotella - synthetic and I have always loved Rotella.