PDA

View Full Version : Why not put a vacuum gage in the fuel line under the hood?

Jim Cobler
06-09-2003, 19:29
If a person put a vacuum gauge in the fuel line following the factory filter, then you could check it when you checked your oil. An increase in vacuum would indicate a filter restriction would it not?

Why is everyone so hung up on putting the gauge in the cab?

Some of the other topics have idicated they have found an inexpensive vacuum gauge. Anyone have the specifics on what and where to get one?

Thanks,

dmaxalliTech
06-09-2003, 19:46
Jim, Kennedy is working on a gauge that is user friendly and easy to use, If its a typical Kennedy product, it will be good. I think he was thinking its gonna be in the $100.00 range.

jbplock
06-10-2003, 09:29
Jim,
The easiest way to keep track of vacuum/restriction would be to use JK's new gauge as DmaxAllitech said. I have the GM version and it works well (but not cheap). You could also put an inexpensive gauge under the hood, but unless your adding a secondary filter, (under the hood) there may not be a convenient place to mount it. I just ordered a low cost gauge from MSCdirect.com that has a 30hg/0/15psi scale which I plan to mount on the bleeder port of my mega filter (similar to Tommy's). As far as mounting the gauge in the cab, a mechanical gauge would require routing a fuel hose to the cab (not good). An electrical gauge with a vacuum sensor would work, but they are expensive.
smile.gif

[ 06-10-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

chuntag95
06-10-2003, 15:53
Jim,
You don't want a fuel line in the cab in case of an accident. If that line is cut and you get a spark or fire you are now having a really bad day. :eek:
As far as the cheap gauge, I am finding out that temperature makes a difference. I got 2, one to fill with glycerin and one to leave air only. The glycerin one dampens the vibration, but is all over the place due to heat. I am going to change out to the air one and see how it reacts. Johns plug on when you want to check seems like the best option if you don't go with an electrical solution. I might do that later, but need to slow down my mods for a while.

GSXRTURBO1
06-11-2003, 12:45
The guages that you fill with glycerin have a port to equalize guage/abient pressure. It's either a screw that you open a couple of turns, or a rubber cap that is also used to fill the guage. With the rubber cap you simply peel it back some so the air can equalize. It will either expel some air, or suck some in, depending on conditions. If you don't do this the guages tend to be very inaccurate, especially the cheaper ones. Autometer uses the screw type ports and are much, much more accurate.

chuntag95
06-11-2003, 14:09
GSXRTURBO1,
The gauge I have has a plastic lever to equalize the pressure. I really want to go to a transducer and get away from the gauge in the engine compartment all together. The temp in there has a pretty wide range and it does make for some interesting readings. It seems I can set it to be sort of acurate cold or hot, but not both. I will probably go with John's gauge when he makes it available. I like the idea of putting it on when I want to take a reading and not having it just getting beaten up all the time. Once I get my system stable, I can just look a the restriction when I first start up and measure it from there. It actually matches the readings from the proto gauge I had from John for a while. :D

GSXRTURBO1
06-11-2003, 14:12
chuntag95, understood.