PDA

View Full Version : Predator -How does it compare?

Dave S
02-26-2003, 14:59
This goes out to those that were first to jump on the bandwagon. Just wondering what you think of the predator so far? Have you towed with it? What boost levels have you seen? Does it monitor boost levels? How does it compare against the other power adders that are currently available? What about defueling at shift points?

sdaver
02-26-2003, 16:12
somewhat less than the juice.........but it does add rwhp......hope to dyno soon.........tremendous potential........read dry pavement hot rubber and predator 0-60 1/4.....more there :D dave

orange2
02-26-2003, 17:11
I really like mine and I would say it does add 85 hp. I don't tow anything so nothing to tell. I will say you guys with the autos ahould go ride in a 6 gear and see what fun you are missing out on. rubber in 2nd, 3rd, and a big chirp into 4th and I don't have to worry about the tranny slipping and my clutch is holding just fine. You can say the edge is beeter for low end but I got all the low end I can use now. On a country road that I have marked for a quarter mile I am seeing right at 90 mph which is about 10 bettter than stock. I would recommend it, but like I said I haven't been in a edge equiped truck so what do I know. :D

JrTuner
02-26-2003, 22:12
Read my recent post.

Kennedy
02-27-2003, 08:39
orange2,

When your dual mass flywheel is failed, you may wish to modify your driving style! :eek: I think that this will be the major weakness of the 6 speed trucks. CPMac has pretty good experience with R&Ring the transmission/flywheel! :D

orange2
02-27-2003, 12:53
In testing tst had over 1000 dyno runs on a stock clutch at higher levels than this predator will run, so I ain't to worried. Yes I know they weren't power shifting on the dyno. I will also say I can shift as smooth as anybody and as quick. I also get your point. :D

schnier
02-27-2003, 13:24
Guess what. I had to get new plates in Ky, so when I go to the courthouse to pay taxes, they say you need emissions testing first. Oh no, I have the predator loaded on 60 HP. So I go ahead to emissions (35 minutes idling in line) and they test it, and say I passed fine. I guess the extra HP does not effect emissions testing. I also checked the fuel mileage and it is the same, except I have been flooring it a lot (about 10 times 0 to 60) that does not help. Oh well everything else appears fine. I like it!!! I need to test the 85 HP soon, maybe tonight?

heartbeatcanada
02-27-2003, 14:11
Has anybody heard of the extreme 115hp setting for the Predator? My dieselaholic drug pusher says he has an extreme 115hp setting for me to try. I haven't heard of anybody talk of this, except him when i talked to him on the phone today. He has been with Diablo for a while and does wonderful stuff for his and other F*RDS. Going to see him tommorrow and maybe try it out if we both have time to play around for a while. I'll report back, if i try it, and see if it's as HOT as the all mighty "HOT JUICE" :eek: He said in a couple weeks when he has time we're going to spend a day on the dyno playing and stacking and see what set up gets the best results, if any at all. :confused: Can't wait to get some numbers on paper for this years truck pulls, and start gettin some respect. :cool:

RWTD
02-27-2003, 14:34
> Has anybody heard of the extreme 115hp setting
> for the Predator? My dieselaholic drug pusher
> says he has an extreme 115hp setting for me to
> try. I haven't heard of anybody talk of this,
> except him when i talked to him on the phone
> today. He has been with Diablo for a while and
> does wonderful stuff for his and other F*RDS.

Yes, DiabloSport is in the process of beta testing this types of tunes for future release. This was not suppose to be announced publicly, and even the dealers weren't told this beta was being done, but now that it has, yes, they are in the process of testing these higher powered tunes. There is not release date for these tunes currently, but if and when they are released I will make sure that I update you all accordingly.

I've been pushing for this for quite some time, and I do hope that it makes it to the board. I promise to continue with the requests, and I've also been reporting to them all the results and feedback that you all have been giving. Together, we can all make this product the best that it can be! Thanks again everyone!

Sincerely...

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 17:43
Orange 2 my 6 speed truck ran 80 in the quarter stock and 92 with the generation one 70 hp van aaken box and they have been repeatedly shown to add 60 rwhp. So it doesn't seem like your getting even close to 85 hp.

orange2
02-27-2003, 18:15
Well then the guys with the juice ain't getting 90 because I am getting the same speed as whats been posted and My speedo is off because of my tires, so I am getting more than 90 with stock exhaust and filters. If the van akken was so good like you say, keep using it. I put my truck in th e 40 60 and 85 and stock, holysh t is there a difference, I used to think this truck stock had good power, more than the dodge I drove with a power pack on it, now it just feels slow.I wish I was close to a dyno but I am not, but gaining 10-12 mph in a quarter is over a 15% increase, which is pretty impressive to me. My azz dyno is impressed, like I said anyone got one in Iowa or minnesota with a juice so we can find out? :D

mackin
02-27-2003, 19:40
orange2

Meet me half way...I'll kick your Predator to the curb !!!

Bring some Corn !!!!!! I'll bring a bucket of sap for Maple Sugar !!!!

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
02-27-2003, 20:20
Watching the speedo for mph is like timing a drag race with a stop watch...

orange2
02-27-2003, 20:30
Yea Kennedy I know that but it is all I have to use. Bring that harley iowa and I will show you fast. 100 hp Harley whoopdee do. I think I will buy my gauges from some other smart ass. Mackin, I ain't saying I would beat one but it would be fun trying. How much corn you want? I got about 100000 bushels you can buy! :D Oh and Kennedy, the speedo seems to work well enuff to keep the cops away so its good enuff for this discussion. A difference is a difference. I would list all the cars and trucks I have had to give you an idea of the things I have drove but I don't like to type.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: orange2 ]</p>

Kennedy
02-27-2003, 20:34
My post was not to be a smartass, but to emphasize the point that the speedo and the perception of the eye as well as lag in the needle is NOT an accurate means to measure performance...

In order to do a true test, one would need a timing system as found at a drag strip or a Gtech so the data would be precise and consistent. The mere action of tripping a stopwatch with the finger can vary by a half second or more. Just look at reaction times on a Pro Tree...

orange2
02-27-2003, 20:42
I never said nuthing about a timed run, but it doesn't take a genious to look at the speedo, does it? I have not trouble seeing the speedo on my ninja when it reads 210, so 90 sitting in my pick up ain't a problem. Speed on gps was 190, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Sorry my info isn't good enuff for ya :mad:

sdaver
02-27-2003, 21:14
jeez orange.........chill man your way too defensive.....constructive criticism.....hey Ive got both hot juice and predator.......I think they made a fair shot at 85hp......but it must peak very high in the rpm...........I would say having experienced both that the 90hp juice is superior.........but the predator has some awesome potential..........how quick can we all realize it? thats the million dollar question........hey get a gtech they are 100 dollars on ebay (that gives you away to compare with others).........or heck Ill loan you mine.....my email in is my sig........hey kennedy is definitely your allie, he has the juice, predator and several others along with a wealth of knowledge and experience............ :D dave

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

orange2
02-27-2003, 21:40
I don't like it when someone states the obvious, Idon't see what is constructive telling some one that the speedo doesn't matter, you don't have to be real quick on your feet to read it going a measley 85-90 mph. I have never said anything bad about the juice and I have said it sounds like the juice leaves harder and that the predator seems to build towards the top, thats why I want to race. I also have been asking for someone to give me a reading on a g-tech and nobody has but they have fresh info on the juice speed alone and stacked with the predator. So either it is matching the speed of the juice by itself or it is way slower and noone is saying. Get my point? So I give some info on what speeds I have seen just for reference and I get well its not certified so its irrelavent. Some guys need to get off your high horses and realize some other people have the talent to read a goddam speedo quick enuff to get an idea about the hp increase. Constructive enough for you? Thought so. Also these things need to be fully warmed uporit doesn't feel the same. Another thing, if the speedo lag is so bad on these trucks then I am happier than before. If juice wasn't so hard to change on a 6 speed I would have bought it right away. The tst has really got me thinking, but this predator is simple to use and easy to hide, is it perfect? No. Now I am going back to the dark side where everyone isn't so uptight. Until I get my 115 hp predator I am done sharing my info here. Now I know why there are so few posts over here.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: orange2 ]</p>

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 21:43
I wasn't trying to imply the old van aaken was good, I was just trying to give some comparison feedback. I have tried several boxes on several trucks and have much more knowledge than comes with trying just one box. I however don't know anything about the predator other that I would like one. I should have realized not to post a comparison of an old box nobody likes to a new product that someone finally got enough change gathered up to buy. Seems that nobody likes to pay for a product that doesn't beat everything else in every category imaginable. Where in IOWA are you? I've been around Des Moines this week at a couple of auctions but I guess your farther north.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: CPMac632 ]</p>

orange2
02-27-2003, 21:58
Cp, don't have any idea what it beats, but it seems everyone is down on it and I don't feel it is justified. Thats it. I think you will find its alright, just has a different fell than the juice and quite possibly not as much power. If everyone was after the most power, you wouldn't be driveing diesels, cause even a fast diesel is slow.

DMAX Daddy
02-27-2003, 22:16
Everyone isnt down on it, I think it was promised to be several things that it hasnt delivered, yet.

From what I have witnessed in my time The Predator has had the most pre-release hype and promises (way more than anything else, who heard of the TST til a few days ago), where it hasnt delivered to its potential, yet.

Another thing is most of the other products produced Dyno charts to show, even if they were not exactly accurate, and The Predator has not, yet.

RWTD's best marketing tool would be a brand new charts showing the HP and Torque gain. So what if it isnt 80 HP, yet. It will get there Im sure. Just be truthful and call a 60 HP box a 60 HP box, if thats all it is. If is 80 HP, thats even better :D

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 22:18
A lot of products have growing pains. If you haven't been around other power enhancements on your duramax then it would be hard to tell exactly what hp it is giving you. I was just trying to give a comparison. You stated you weren't near a dyno and that was the best way I knew to help you compare. A lot of companies make false claims and most people would never know the difference but not the people that frequent this site. So try to get some good out of the info and maybe check the predator versus something else because it seems some of the scan functions aren't working properly on them either.

orange2
02-27-2003, 22:38
Alright, how much hp does it take to increase the speed of a 6500lb truck 10 mph in a quarter, and lets just use the difference I have seen on the speedo. I used to know the formula to figure it but I can't find it right now. Speed is hp, that is all we need to figure whether it is a true 60 hp box or a 85 hp box. Wish I could remeber the formula.

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 22:46
That formula would get you close possibly but there are a lot of variables. 10 mph is a susbstantial gain and everyone's driving style will play a part in the times with a 6 speed. Another point that gets overlooked on this site is that no matter if it's 40hp or 85hp it doesn't matter if your happy with it.

orange2
02-27-2003, 23:13
Found a web site 6500lb 90 mph=369 hp at the tires, 6500lbs80mph=259hp, so not going to make any claims, but put some juice figures in and to get a 14.7 et at 90 you would need over 400 to the ground, you ain't got that with just juice. I know I ain't getting no 370 t0 the ground. But I do feel the claim of 85 is close, at least on my truck. Need a darn dyno sheet.

sdaver
02-27-2003, 23:16
hopefully in a week or so Im gonna dyno my truck........and will post the good... the bad and the ugly.........in reference to stock juiced and the predators first offering.......If I have time tommorow I will gtech the predator 85hp quartermile and do a rearwheel hp for the 90 hp juice and the 85 predator..........probably gonna be on SAturday.... orange I would be glad to send you my gtech.........got to go to atlanta tommorrow send me your address by monday and Ill fedex it to you there in the dark side :D dave

orange2
02-27-2003, 23:25
Thanks for the offer, I will just order one. If you do a google search on horsepower calculators you can find sites to do the comparisons on. all yo need is weight and speed to figure the hp. Not 100% accurate but close enuff for me. The gains in speed by my speedo show a gain of around 80 hp, but I am guessing at the weight and the speed is just by the speedo.

DMAX Daddy
02-27-2003, 23:29
Orange,

Like CPMac said, if you are happy with it, thats all ya need! It will still rock the sox of most anything.

And please keep posting your findings, The Predator is on my short list of upgrades to get.

sdaver
02-27-2003, 23:38
4x4 crewcab short box 2500 dm/alli tool box and 260 lb fat ass........7400lbs+ :D :D :D :D dave

CPMac632
02-28-2003, 00:07
Most hp calculators won't work quite as accurate on turbo diesel motors as they do on gas engines. But everyone seems to agree that the Gtech works well on anything, perhaps more consistent than different dyno's.

JrTuner
02-28-2003, 07:34
Calculating HP from 1/4 mile trap speed is as accurate you going to get besides a dyno. This method does not take into consideration E.T. because there are too many variables. If you have an accurate weight of your vehicle, and you go through the 1/4 mile speed trap with your pedal down, using the speed in MPH and your exact weight will give a HP number at the RPM you went through the traps at that will be within probably 5% of a dyno pull. I build, race, and am around a lot of drag cars and we use the above calculations with all kinds of vehicles, and the numbers come out almost identical everytime. This purely physics at work here.

CPMac632
02-28-2003, 08:21
When I put the numbers in from runs I know about and what others claim on this and other sites it doesn't come out accurate with mph versus a dyno. Just an observation. Maybe I haven't found the calculator you are using but the ones I have don't work with a performance turbo diesel's torque curve.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: CPMac632 ]</p>

mtomac
02-28-2003, 13:41
I can run a faster trap speed in 2wd but I get a better launch and ET in 4x4 but my trap speed is lower from increased driveline loss in 4wd. Making comparison runs in 2wd would be better if you're concentrating on RWHP increase based on trap speed.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

orange2
02-28-2003, 15:16
hp is hp, it doesn't matter how the hell it is made, gas or diesel, ever seen a different formula to figure hp for a diesel or turbo motor? Didn't think so. I am going to say some of your gtech times and speeds are bull**** and about as accurate as looking at the speedo. Put the #s in the computer and see for yourself. Some of you guys got excuses for everthing that don't add up in your little duramax worlds. Hey Jrtuner, how much boost you running on your busa?

pinehill
02-28-2003, 16:49
Our "little Duramax worlds"???? tongue.gif

Some folks really know how to make friends!

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

Toddster
02-28-2003, 17:10
Hey Mackdaddy, can you post that anger management site again ? I think a few could use it...Geeeesh...Maybe I should wait a while to post why the TST is $cheaper$ and inferior to Edge and VA... :mad:

Burner
02-28-2003, 17:44
Hey Orange,

Perhaps you should find out where your aggression is coming from? If the good folks over here pinch your ass so bad, then why are you here? Anger is generally derived from situations you cannot control or ignorance, which generally leads to a situation that is beyond your mental ability. I know how you feel about your ability to “read” a speedometer and press a go pedal. We have all had or have that feeling. I do not think that any of us declare you to be stupid. Decide to open your mind a little and “read” what is said, not into what is said. Use the energy of your aggression to fuel your curiosity. You will learn that to be stupid you must be educated. Ignorance is just the “lack of knowledge” not the misapplication of such. If you were stupid you would already know where you were wrong. It is just like a child that knows better than to take cookies out of the cookie jar. If you catch the child there is “always” a defense. The child will lash out with anger or submit a reason for the theft. That is a stupid remark not ignorant. Take this statement posted 02-27-2003 10:25 PM

Thanks for the offer, I will just order one

Why would you order a G-Tech if it was insufficient for measuring performance gains? Could it be that your “feeling” for performance is in doubt? If that is the case, you are coming around.

Like I said, drop the anger and move to a more productive form content.

-------- BTW I think that we will let you know when you are being STUPID.
;)

Burner :cool:

KevinK
02-28-2003, 18:16
The HP calculators are correct in that they calculate the average RWHP required to accelerate a given weight to a given speed in a given distance. Like JrTuner said, it's pure physics.

DMAX Daddy
02-28-2003, 20:11
Yes it IS physics, BUT...

A 2000 pound car going through the trap is different than a 7500 pound Chevy Pick up. The computer formulas always estimate for a nominal drag of a racing car.

Its been several, actually almost 20 years since I switched from Aerospace Engineering to Math for my major, but the wind resistance on a Chevy truck is HUGE compared to what even a slightly bad aero design on a car is.

Say for 300HP a Corvette can go 150mph through the traps (Im making these numbers up as an example, dont sue me :D ). A Chevy/GMC truck for the same 300 HP might show 90mph in a computer formula, but actually be doing 80mph because of the HUGE difference in wind resistance of the frontal area of the truck and probably the tailgate. In actuality, to match the computer formula with the Corvette the DMAX would need to be say, 350HP instead of 300.

So it isnt the difference in diesel gas, I think its the fact that compared to most drag cars needle like design, a Silverado is more of a barn door. It takes more to push a barn door through the wind than a football. At some point cars "hit the wall" and require huge amounts of power for very little speed gain. Due to aerodynamics, that speed is a LOT lower for Pick ups.

And if you dont think wind makes a difference, find Rebel Horseman's post about trading his truck in and see how much extra drag people think one extra row of hay makes on a load!

Here it is;
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005280

CPMac632
02-28-2003, 21:00
HP is Hp yea you got one right. But I stated torque curve because it has a little to do with getting something moving. The same hp vehichle with a different amount of torque could register a different number. I will not try to help you figure it out any longer because it would take much to long.

mtomac
02-28-2003, 21:15
SAME DAY SAME TRACK:

in 2wd 90hp juice - 15.263 @ 91.46mph

in 4wd 90hp juice - 14.775 @ 89.44mph

so for calculating RWHP with a computer program you would want to use 2wd runs because they yield higher trap speeds. So using the HP calculator @ http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php

Vehicle Weight - 6614 lbs - weighed at dragstrip
1/4 mile Trap Speed - 91.46 mph
1/8 mile Trap Speed - 74.15 mph
Drivetrain Loss - 20%

Results from 1/4 mile calculation
Rear Wheel HP - 343.6
Crankshaft HP - 429.5

Results from 1/8 mile calculation
Rear Wheel HP - 366.2
Crankshaft HP - 457.8

You can see where the aerodynamics of the truck "slow it down" according to the hp calculations between the 1/8 & 1/4 mile trap speeds. Not bad numbers for a 90hp box, muffler, and airbox mods. I'll have to run the 125hp hot juice in 2wd to see what kind of trap speeds I can get. I'm guessing 94-95mph

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

CPMac632
02-28-2003, 21:26
They probably want the name and contact information for your dragstrip witness. Or maybe the person in charge of track maintenace to make sure the traps were positioned properly. Or maybe you used a differnt calculator than they did. The hp calculators are like the old desktop dyno's (fun to play with).

DMAX Daddy
02-28-2003, 21:38
He he I was going to mention earlier one of his runs is a video in his sig. Im jealous :cool:

mtomac
02-28-2003, 21:38
The calculators using trap speed to calculate hp are all using the same formula and you can enter the driveline loss in the one I used (20% is a little more than the typical Duramax/Allison driveline will lose). I have time slips for every run and video of most of the runs taped by my girlfriend who can swear to their accuracy in a court of law if necessary LOL!

sdaver
02-28-2003, 22:16
great post mike...........good numbers........as expected :D dave

schnier
03-01-2003, 06:54
WOW, .488 Difference on the same truck, same day. Now I can see how so many people get so many different track times on my box, versus your box debates. Very interesting. Keep up the good work.

Forced Induction
03-01-2003, 07:57
Mike, great times!! smile.gif I live very near to Englishtown and do alot of dragstrip testing there. I am scared to race in 4wd any longer because of an "overboost" condition at the line I feel my driveline has suffered some potential damage. There is a slight vibration now between 1800 and 2200 that is amplified in 4wd. It is not severe, and almost no one else can even feel it, maybe I'm crazy, whatever. But after the bad run I did make another run in 4wd with a sub 2 sec 60' but only a low 15 second pass. I feel there is alot of loss thru the front rear and transfer case which was not offset by the faster launch. I now leave at about 1000rpm in 2wd, roll off the line a few feet and then hammer down. I only made one run like that which was the 14.9. I will be doing more testing this year when the snow goes away.
Anyway, the main reason for this reply, was to ask if you had a G-tech, and how do the times compare between actual track and G-tech?? I just order a g-tech so I'm hoping its fairly accurate. Even if it isn't, it should atleast be consistent, to determine changes. Did you ever run the truck with stock exhaust and the 90hp juice, and then add the exhaust to determine any changes?? I am hopefully going to do that before I leave for Wisconsin, in august or so. Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry for the long winded post, but since racing season is starting, I'm getting antsy to go!! smile.gif
JK, I remember you saying there was a dragstrip close to port washington, is it a quarter mile track, I didn't do any searches but I will. I'll pay you a visit some time when I get there. I would love to see the shop if thats OK with you. smile.gif
Later Guys, again sorry for this long post, it was my longest ever, I'll keep them short next time. :cool:

Jason

[ 03-01-2003: Message edited by: Forced Induction ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
03-01-2003, 08:09
The G-Tech can be used to check different things and see how a mod improved or worsened your truck.

It may not be as accurate as other methods, but if you have a before and after with it when you make a modification, it will give you input on how much that modification helped/hurt.

As long as the same G-Tech is used, mounted in the same location, it should give decent numbers.

Kennedy
03-01-2003, 09:32
Jason,

Great Lakes Dragaway is on that area, and there are also tracks at Kaukauna and Rock Falls. I don't know of any 1/8 mile tracks in WI.

The Gtech accurracy can be argued all day, but the one thing it has is CONSISTENCY!

FWIW, we (actually I) ran Fred's 2wd dually to a 15.6 on the Gtech here in Loyal. A couple of days later he ran a 15.4 at a track in the Chicago area...

mtomac
03-01-2003, 12:29
I don't have a g-tech but I am looking at the new Competition Pro version.

I've never ran the truck with the stock airbox or stock muffler. They were gone and the 90hp juice was added before my first trip to the dragstip.

Holding 10# fo boost on the line along with the extra traction from 4wd yeilds 1.9x sec 60' times. In 2wd all I can get is 2.4-2.5 sec 60' times because I have to launch w/o boost or I'll just spin the RT rear tire. I have an open differential (ordered it that way for towing) but as soon as the Elocker is released in '04 I'm getting one for the front and rear. But until then, 4wd is the only way I can get good ET's at the dragstip. I'm shooting for 14 sec with my truck because 13.99 and under there are a few safety items I will need at the dragstrip.

fred
03-01-2003, 14:20
ha,jk my 2wd 3500 cc d/a went 14.96,15.09 and 15.20 and it will go faster this summer :D :cool: smile.gif ;)

fred
03-01-2003, 14:22
also it weighs 7100 lbs

Burner
03-01-2003, 17:06
Orange,

Perhaps this is the answer you are looking for?

Someone out'ta slap you like the beioutch you are and teach you some respect.

Took that one, hook line and sinker... didn't ya. tongue.gif I'll agree to deagree with you.

Burner ;)

mackin
03-01-2003, 17:54
I see a Paddle Lock in the very near future !!!!!!!

Mean while read here =&gt;http://therapistunlimited.com/info/anger/indx.html

MAC :eek: :eek: :eek:

orange2
03-01-2003, 17:54
Another thing, my milage suxs since I got the predator, like watching it smoke before the boost comes up. HEHEHE. Under 16 when running around 80 pulling one snowmobile. Big load, huh. A whole 1000lbs, maybe. Smoke, ain't it cool?

CPMac632
03-01-2003, 19:16
DSB huh. I had you figured for a Iowa livestock farmer. Oh well guess I was wrong.

P.S. Everyone else from Iowa i'm just kiddin.

orange2
03-01-2003, 19:24
Not livestock, corn and beans which is worse. Hey that white jacket is cool, what are all those buckles for? :D

CPMac632
03-01-2003, 19:42
I should have figured you would not catch the point. You come off as someone that wouldn't have dsb if you were a livestock farmer.

orange2
03-01-2003, 19:47
You *******, I haven't laughed that hard in a lont time, thank you :D :D :D Can't believe I didn't catch that, good one. You 1, me 0 Game on

sonofagun
03-03-2003, 12:18
Orange,

You really should get a handle on your anger and your language. If you don't like the site go away.
Ever hear about the sugar/salt analogy?
If you want to be a part of it adjust your attitude and you'll be suprised by the help and knowledge you will gain from those who post in response to your posts. I don't think anyone is telling you you chose the wrong product or that the juice is better. IT has been around longer and we have more info on it. Guys like you can help educate us on the Predator is you don't give us all a massive case of the hips in the process. We would really like to work with you.

good luck in the future,
Bob

orange2
03-03-2003, 13:42
son of a gun, never said anyone told me to choose the wrong product or that I don't think the juice is better. Maybe you should read more of my posts about it instead of just a couple before you make a conclusion about me. I do get overly excited at times and I won't argue that, however, it seems to me that when just general info is give it isn't good enuff for some. You don't have to be a genius to feel differences in hp, I just stated that it doesn't take a dyno or a g-tech to feel power. This are all generalizations, some of us don't have accese to dyno's and drag strips, so we have to use less scientific methods such as reading the difference in speed by the speedo in a given distance. I know it isn't as accurate and I don't need it pointed out to me, but it is not that hard to use and see a difference. We are talking about trucks, not what it takes to make a rocket take off. It gets frustrating when one shares some info and it seems its not good enuff. So next time I try something or a product you can go spend the coin and find out for yourself.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: orange2 ]</p>

sonofagun
03-04-2003, 19:16
Orange,

Points noted.

Good luck,
Bob

orange2
03-04-2003, 20:04
Bob, I will give you my left... Lets just say that you have my favorite Chevelle of all time, I luv the 66 bodystyle. If I ever get real flush with coin, I am going to get me one and put a 502 in it, even if its original. Got a friend who put a built and I mean built 427 in a 68, thing dropped a 10 dollar valve in about 100 miles. That was 3 years ago and he still hasn't taken it apart to see what it messed up. He builds mod motors for stock cars and imca mods, he also races. I wish he would pull it apart and see what it did, says he don't want to know yet. :confused:

sonofagun
03-06-2003, 17:46
Orange,

Thanks, it's a great car. It is the car I wanted in college and could not afford (just dated myself). It fun to drive and is very fast.

Regards,
Bob

RWTD
04-01-2003, 18:13
I just wanted to inform everyone that the issues with the defueling and the delay on the shifts has been solved.

Those who have a Predator, whether you have purchased through me or not, if you would like to try a different tune, please let me know, and we can do the tune swapping via email. Because of time restraints (there is multiple events that most of the DiabloSport employees will be attending), there will be a temporary delay on the file swapping, though. Please email me for further information.

The speedo calibration is close to be completed, as the engineers are working diligently on it, so we should be seeing a new revision update forthcoming. I will address this with my customers in the form of a unit swap, or you will be able to send it in to DiabloSport for an upgrade.

Dave Gamble, I'm sorry I was unable to attend your dyno shootout, bud, but we will definitely get to do this soon. How did your dyno thrashing end up going, friend? As for getting you some tunes, I'm ready now, when you are.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Sincerely...

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

sdaver
04-01-2003, 21:18
comedy of errors at best..........gonna make a third and final try wed nite...........hey you got my vin........email the tunes.... :D dave

RWTD
04-04-2003, 12:15
UPDATE:

Everyone, just wanted to inform you that that MSRP of the Duramax Predator has dropped significantly, which also has allowed the "Out The Door" pricing to significantly drop.

You can find the new pricing on my website at www.runninwiththedevil.com/predator.htm , or you can click below on the link in my signature.

Sincerely...

Dave S
04-04-2003, 13:29
What can you tell us about the higher output tunes some people are testing? Do you have any dyno numbers? What about the speedometer calibrations, also boost and barometer parameters? Thanks for keeping us posted!

RWTD
04-04-2003, 21:26
&gt; What can you tell us about the higher output
&gt; tunes some people are testing? Do you have any
&gt; dyno numbers? What about the speedometer
&gt; calibrations, also boost and barometer
&gt; parameters? Thanks for keeping us posted!

Dave,

Hey, and thanks for the questions, bud.

Well, the higher output tune is approx. 115 to 120, but I can't guarantee that's the actual power #'s as I haven't personally tested it on the dyno, since our dyno can't accept a vehicle taller than 6'2" :(

Maybe if CJ get's his new Mustang Dyne finally going we can do so there, as his is not an above ground unit like the Dynojet here is.

Anyhoo, I'm not having any issues on this tune, or any of the lower powered tunes with the defueling or the delayed shifting anymore. There should be a few forum members here soon with the new files, as I have to get some made for them to test early next week.

As for the speedo/axle calibrations, that is being worked on and as far as I know they are nearly close to implementing that to the units, but I do not know when. The lead engineer said he was "close". I jumped the gun a lil earlier this week thinking they were finished, but I misread them incorrectly, so my bad.

The areas that aren't being picked up, such as the boost, is being looked at as well. Hopefully they can get that worked out before the upcoming revision release, as well.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Sincerely...

mtomac
04-09-2003, 10:02
Hypertech apparently has the tire size calibration figured out for the duramax/allison, when will the predator have it. Was the release of the Hypertech programmer the reason for the price drop on the predator? Once the predator adds the tire size calibration and a non performance tune I'll get one, but right now I'm still waiting. Is there any chance the predator will have a way to save the monitored data like for a dyno pull, 1/4 mile run or 300' pass down the pulling track.

a64pilot
04-09-2003, 11:09
Mike,
Look at Auto-Tap for what you want as far as recording data. www.autotap.com

RWTD
04-09-2003, 15:53
&gt; Hypertech apparently has the tire size
&gt; calibration figured out for the
&gt; duramax/allison, when will the predator have
&gt; it.

DiabloSport has it figured out as well. There will be a new revision update shortly that will add the axle/tire option. This is an "any day" situation, and my personal opinion expects this to be out next week. ;)

Plus, there is ALL NEW IMPROVED and MORE POWERFUL tunes. The defueling issues and delayed shifting are now a thing of the past.

1: 40 rwhp
2: 65 rwhp
3: 85 rwhp
4: 100 rwhp

The v1.02 revision only had 3 included tunes.

&gt; Was the release of the Hypertech programmer
&gt; the reason for the price drop on the predator?

I can't speak for their marketing department, but they had their reasons for doing such. I do feel, though, that the unit's original price was well worth the included features, since there isn't any other device that has such capabilities and options, so to be able to buy it at this new lower price is definitely an incentive for everyone to jump about the DiabloSport bandwagon smile.gif

&gt; Once the predator adds the tire size
&gt; calibration and a non performance tune I'll
&gt; get one, but right now I'm still waiting.

Looks like your wait is not really anymore, bud ;)

&gt; Is there any chance the predator will have a
&gt; way to save the monitored data like for a dyno
&gt; pull, 1/4 mile run or 300' pass down the
&gt; pulling track.

I've been discussing that with them for the future, where it would dump it out to a text file using the serial port. I'll continue to press this issue in the future.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely...

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

RWTD
04-11-2003, 11:31
Here's the latest information for the new revision update coming for the Predator:

- New LOWER Price!
- 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee!
- Lifetime Warranty!
- 8 Line LCD Display backlit in green (300% Larger! - Easy to view at night and during the day)
- Quickest Programming! (approx. 15 to 30 seconds between tunes)
- New & Improved Tunes:

1: 40 rwhp (Tow tune)
2: 60 rwhp (Economy Performance tune)
3: 85 rwhp (High Performance tune)
4: 100 rwhp (Super High Performance tune)

- End-User Adjustable Options for all Tunes (including Stock Calibration):

1: Revs & Speed Limiter adjustment (adjustable in 1 mph increments up to 125 on 2002-2003, and 110 on 2001)
2: Axle/Tire Adjustments for changes in gears and tire height

- OBDII Diesel Specific Diagnostics

1: Monitors over 100 parameters in real time and displays the live feedback directly on the screen
2: Reads and Resets DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
3: Displays the code and the definition of directly on the screen

- Internet Capable

1: Allows for custom tuned files for more power and/or other enhancements
2: Allows for future bios revision updates (online feature still in development)

Monitored Diagnostics (Real Time):

Engine Data 1

a. Engine Speed - x rpm
b. Desired Idle Speed

pinehill
04-11-2003, 12:10
James,

Is there a reason for Balancing Rate Cyl 7 not being included, or was this an unintended omission in the list?

RWTD
04-11-2003, 13:59
&gt; Is there a reason for Balancing Rate Cyl 7 not
&gt; being included, or was this an unintended
&gt; omission in the list?

Good eye! Yep, you're right, it was an unintended omission on the list ;) I fixed it though smile.gif Thanks!

Sincerely...

orange2
04-11-2003, 15:16
So James, when are you sending me my new improved unit? Since the price has went down I expect the upgrade to cost about what a case of beer does. Did you ever get your Cobra?

Burner
04-11-2003, 17:38
Wait just a minute. I thought that "upgrades" were for life and had "zero" cost? James, did you not say that upgrades were for the life of the truck? Do tell........... :rolleyes:

Burner------&gt; ;) :D

orange2
04-11-2003, 18:19
Burner, I thought that is what I have read but wasn't sure and didn't want to go back and look. I would assume if they lower the price 200 bucks we should get the upgrades for the price of a smile, free!!

RWTD
04-11-2003, 22:07
Burner, there isn't any cost whatsoever to have a unit upgraded to this new revision when it is released. As always, all standard retail upgrades are FREE! Troy was simply joking, is all, bud.

Sincerely...

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

RWTD
04-15-2003, 13:23
UPDATE!!! Predator v1.03 has been released! I will have it in stock on Thursday.

Current customers who want the revision update you will need to send an email to:

general@diablosport.com

with the subject line:

"Duramax Revision Update"

(please do such so he'll be able to more easily recognize your request).

Please state your name, who you purchased it from (i.e. James with RWTD), and that you wish to upgrade your v1.02 to v1.03. Nick will have you ship it to them , they will upgrade it, and send it back to you, promptly.

Here is the information on the new revision:

Here's the latest information for the new revision update coming for the Predator (please note that the original 60 rwhp tune was upgraded to a 65 rwhp tune):

- New LOWER price!

- New & Improved Tunes:

1: 40 rwhp (Tow tune)
2: 65 rwhp (Economy Performance tune)
3: 85 rwhp (High Performance tune)
4: 100 rwhp (Super High Performance tune)

- End-User Adjustable Options for all Tunes (including Stock Calibration):

1: Speed Limiter adjustment
2: Speedo Calibration for changes of axle and tire height

- OBDII Diesel Specific Diagnostics

1: Monitors over 100 parameters in real time and displays the live feedback directly on the screen
2: Reads and Resets DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
3: Displays the code and the definition of directly on the screen

- Internet Capable

1: Allows for custom tuned files for more power and/or other enhancements
2: Allows for future bios revision updates (online feature still in development)

You can find the full list on my site at www.runninwiththedevil.com/diesel.htm (choose your make).

Sincerely...

imported_
04-15-2003, 13:31
with the predator can you force the allison transmission to stay in 4th gear for dyno runs?
Thanks J

RWTD
04-15-2003, 13:57
&gt; with the predator can you force the allison
&gt; transmission to stay in 4th gear for dyno runs?

It will not, J. You're going to need a Tech 2 to do such. I'll talk to them about possibly doing such a feature in the future, but I doubt it will happen any time soon, if they even agree to such.

Take care!

mackin
04-15-2003, 16:09
OD lock out switch ..... Will that work RWTD ?? That cost about 1% a Tech II does....

MAC :eek:

[ 04-15-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

RWTD
04-15-2003, 16:58
I guess I read that wrong, possibly. I am well aware of the OD lockout switch, but you'll still need something to lock into 4th if you want to keep it from downshifting into 3rd from lower rpms.

mackin
04-15-2003, 18:37
;)

Kennedy
04-15-2003, 18:42
The Tech 2 is used to force the transmission INTO 4th gear at speeds below 40mph. It will stay in 4th until 3,000 at whichpoint torque is dropping fast and HP has already peaked.

carnutsx2
04-15-2003, 23:03
Can you use the Predator to reset the DTC light on a truck that isnt the truck with the program installed? What if I buy a new truck am I out the money, or once I load the stock program can I take the unit to the new truck?

RWTD
04-16-2003, 09:48
Mackin: tongue.gif

Thanks JK, for putting that into a more easily understood statement.

P.s. Yeah, the snowbunnies were plenty abundant, hehe, but everyone has to have some rest from all the play ;)

I did manage to get the snowmobile to around 81. Ski Doo 800cc. Geez it was super quick and fast! My buddy rolled his on a slope and we had to dig it out of a few feet of snow; NOT fun, especially when you're stuck in the middle of no where, 20 miles from base :(

&gt; Can you use the Predator to reset the DTC
&gt; light on a truck that isnt the truck with the
&gt; program installed? What if I buy a new truck
&gt; am I out the money, or once I load the stock
&gt; program can I take the unit to the new truck?

Yes, the Predator's Diagnostics does work on ALL 01-03 Duramaxs, as this portion of the unit is not VIN locked, bud.

As for the unit VIN locking, this is a decision of DiabloSport's to preserve product value, and ensure that the end-user will not have any issues if the dealer reflashes their pcm.

Sincerely...

Kennedy
04-16-2003, 10:34
81mph :rolleyes: around here we average 50-60 in the woods and around 100 on any open stretch or lake! :D

That's another part of why I quit snowmobiling. The alcohol, speed, short season, and massive depreciation...